StrongLifts 5x5

(Christine J) #41

I’m actually going to be starting 5x5 when I get back to the gym this week. I had to take a huge break because of severe planters in both feet…that go figure keto fixed.

(Mark) #42

I have found a simple kettlebell is a good piece of equipment for someone just starting out its small and you can use it by the TV or in the backyard they come in all different weights. From 5 to 100 pounds plus and you can do great slow safe compound movements like goblet squats among many others I use a trap bar for deadlifts it’s a great overall exercise and the trap bar is much safer on your back than a straight bar for deadlifts puts you in a stronger lifting position

(Michael Boggs) #43

I’m a big fan of Ketttlebell workouts as well. However, they require training as far as using them properly, in my opinion. I took classes for over a year and I still occasionally mess up my swing. :slight_smile:

At a bare minimum, please watch SFG youtube videos on proper form before starting to work with a KB.

(Rick) #44

Kettlebells are awesome in a pinch. Plus you can find them all day long on craigslist or Amazon. I highly recommend for overall strength and conditioning.:+1:

Here’s my slice of heaven:

Kettleballs are great but I think those that are inexperienced risk injury, for example with swings. I have one which I use for swings when I want to mix up my cardio and I will do warm up squats with it. It works as a supplementary piece of equipment but I cannot build much muscle with it. I suppose it’s enough for those who want to ‘get toned’. If I could have only one type of equipment in my home gym it would be my free weights. A weight plate with ‘handles’ can easily be used in place of a kettlebell.

(dawn.hakala) #46

You are very correct… I see women at the gym attempting to swing… Even tho I know what to do, I’ve made the mistake of trying to help someone not get hurt once… Never again…

(Richard Morris) #47

My PT had to go to a 3 day course just to get certified to train people using kettlebells.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #48

Is that a wall in the middle of a garage? That pic is making my brain confused. :smiley:

(Joe Chalakee) #49

What size Kettlebell are you using? If you are using anything under 18lb, other then learning how to use Kettlebells. Then you won’t see much benefits. Kettlebells will tone you up and Strength. But will not increase muscle size unless your can train with heavy double Kettlebells.

(Rick) #50

I had part of my garage converted into a music studio some years ago. What you are looking at is the front 1/3rd of it.

I use a 20# bell but I find it’s more useful for cardio (increasing heart rate) than strength training. My goal is to gain as much strength as possible so I prefer powerlifting.

(Rick) #52

Definitely heavy bells are the way to go for muscle growth. I have em from 15lbs to 203lbs. I find the lighter weights are useless unless using in pairs for building muscle and strength.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #53

I had a feeling the stratocatblue handle had something to do with music. :slight_smile:

If you don’t mind my asking, how much did your squat rack cost? Looks a lot more manageable than the ones I’ve seen with four uprights. I’ve already got one huge piece of equipment in my basement (a pretty much useless Weider multi-station gym I bought at Sears years ago), so space is at a premium.

wow. I did not know they made 200lb kettleballs. so, is there a benefit in using them over a barbell? or do you just like big balls (i’m sorry but i couldn’t resist)?

(Rick) #55

Honestly the asymmetrical weight distribution is in ways superior to equalized weight of a dumbbell or barbell as it challenges your core stability more effectively. BTW here are my big bells (balls, lol to funny!)

203, 175, 150 and 125 pound

(Rick) #56

I bought it here locally (DFW metro) for around $350 w/ the spotter arms. It’s a Northern Lights brand made in Canada and rated up to 1000lbs. Excellent piece of equipment that put to shame the rickety CAP half rack I was using prior. It even has the Westside barbell 1/2" hole spacing for benching off of it.

Thanks for the info. I have only been lifting 3 years so I’m still trying to figure out the best way to get stronger. I love a 5x5 program because I have been able to see results in a short amount of time and I can now say I’m pretty strong for an old broad! I’m wondering how I can translate those barbell moves to kettlebells…front squats and deadlifts are easy enough. I do back squats more than anything else and am wondering how to mimic this? Also with chest exercises do you just use them like dumbbells?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #58

Thanks…that seems pretty reasonable, and leaves a little more room in the budget for a decent bar to start with. Plates I should be able to get cheap at Play it Again Sports. They always seem to have plenty.

(Rick) #59

Hat’s off to your commitment to fitness and health. The squat and deadlift have been paramount to my training and strength gains . Simulating a back squat with a kettlebell may prove to be difficult because of the position of the arms behind the bar. I would suggest an alternative of double kettlebell overhead squat for different type of challenge. Here’s a good tutorial: https://youtu.be/nGXtan2AQ8Q As for chest pressing, I perform these from the floor like this: https://youtu.be/hkW9p-PqSRE although I prefer to Turkish Get Up/ Get down which includes a chest pressing movement to intitiate. With a heavy bell, the TGU becomes a whole other feat of strength that you can augment as such: https://www.instagram.com/p/BOi6BJylxs-/?taken-by=zrawkirch

(Rick) #60

I made the mistake of buying cheap when I first started acquiring gear and later regretted that decision when my lifts started exceeded the capacity. Invest wisely and don’t be afraid to splurge a little. It’s like my good buddy once told me, “We spend thousands of dollars on sofas (that can certainly lead to poor health if used enough), but cringe at the mere possibility of hundreds spent for exercise equipment.”