StrongLifts 5x5

(Sebastjan) #21

I’ve also been doing SL 5x5 for the past few months. I like the simplicity of the application calculating your loads for each session. Perfect for beginers!

Last two months i am also including one bootcamp style workout into my regiment, just to spice things up a bit.

I’ve gone keto about a month ago, i did notice feeling weaker for about 3 sessions, and i have noticed some lightheadedness at the latter rounds of heavy squats. Nothing problematic though.

Stronglifts 5x5 user here.

Even built a home gym for stronglifts which accommodates my lifestyle of a wife and three kids.

The phone app is great, the free version is plenty if you are just starting out, just load and go.

(Michelle) #23

Thanks for this!!! I just started the Couch25k running app this month, and was looking to get into weight lifting as well, but had no idea where to start…

(dawn.hakala) #24

It does love you because you’re doing something for it… Exercise :heart_eyes:

(dawn.hakala) #25

Get that setup mister :slight_smile:

(dawn.hakala) #26

If your getting lightheaded… You aren’t getting in enough electrolytes… The ketoaide @Brenda posted is great and also up your magnesium.

(dawn.hakala) #27

Thanks… still trying to figure out the format :slight_smile:

(Sebastjan) #28

Thanks @DawnH, but it was somethig i was noticing just in the last reps of the last squat rounds, not a general feeling. And it was just happening in the begining of going keto.

Even before going keto I have always been suplementing with a high quality multivitamin, magnesium (500mg) and omega3.

(Mark Myers) #29

I have a small incline bench and a pair of 15 lbs dumbbells and a couple of tomato sauce cans for light weights. I’m just trying to firm up, maybe some extra strength and rehab an old skiing injury in my left elbow. I’d like to get a decent workout plan for each muscle group.

(Matthew Standridge DDS FAGD) #30

I’ve been doing stronglifts for a few months now, and I STRONGLY (get it?) recommend it.

Now I’m scaling back and incorporating more yoga and mobility work, as I am way too tight and immobile. Just started the Gymnastics Bodies Fundamentals program and its eating my lunch.

Love. Lift. Keto!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #31

You don’t need a gym at all @AnnaLeeMI you can gain strength/muscle by doing body weight exercises - and it’s quite effective! And yes, lifting your kids, gallon bottles and such - it all works!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #32

I’ve never done a 5x5 program, but last year started a GVT (German Volume Training) routine, and progresses well in regards to building muscle but more importantly it helped me clean up my form an all things. At this point, I don’t have a specific program I follow, but my strength training tends fluctuate between 3-5 sets with a rep range of 6-10 depending on what I’m doing.

(Bill Davis) #33

Body weight exercises are well known to be very, very effective in promoting relative strength. Work on push-ups, pull-ups, static handstands (use a wall for support) and you will see a dramatic increase in Strength quickly

(Matthew Standridge DDS FAGD) #34

@GeMoose23 I’m with you. I love having a home gym, makes it much easier juggling around family.

For folks looking to get into bodyweight workout, check out the book Convict Conditioning.

(joelchandler) #35

I find the progressions a great way to increase muscle confusion.

(Dave) #36

Yeah I have been doing a bit of German Volume Training just for squats… It feels a bit like a crossfit metcon… I do the 10 x 10 squats on 1min 20 seconds… I did it a bit heavy the first time I did it and felt a bit sick… Its best to just do it with 60% of your 1 rep max… Its all finished in less than 15 mins and you get a crazy pump… I have done 5 x 5 too and its a bit better for pure strength… Always good to just do a block of it then do something else

love the stronglifts program and free app. i started lifting about 4 years ago and this program helped me get to my current PRs. I am hoping to make it to the ‘advanced’ powerlifting standards.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #38

I’ve never rushed the reps when doing 10x10 and kept the weight at a range I could complete the sets and then would bump the weight up. I actually gained a great deal of strength - more than I realized; and didn’t realize it until this year when I modified my routine. It was most noticeable on the leg press (I only do body weight squats) primarily and of course bench press secondly.

(Matt) #39

Started on starting strength to get back into lifting, going to be switching over to SL 5x5 soon.

(Shayne O'reilly) #40

I did SL 5X5 a couple years ago, was excellent for me. Started with an empty bar at the gym and got a lot of looks but 3 months later I was lifting more then most people in the gym. Got people looking differently. A back issue took me out of it, but I’m starting again and getting back to keto too. Oh the losses and gains to come.

SL is perfect for pure strength. I think everyone should figure out what they want to achieve and work out accordingly. Remember, the best program for you is the one you stick with.