Stopped losing weight

(Melanie Rowe) #41

If you love sweet tea, try some earl gray with a sweetener. My husband likes the fruit flavored teas, apple cinnamon being his favorite. Ginger tea is great for stomach issues and green tea is supposed to be all around great for your body.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #42

Me too, being a sort of southern gal. I just made a pitcher of Lipton with some sweetener in it.

(Paula Fox) #43

I bought some sweetener and it is horrible how do you guys use it. I have some liquid stevia drops that I bought last time I tried this type of diet but eweā€¦ Iā€™m struggling thereā€¦ They didnā€™t have swerve at the store I went to which I think is what a lot of you have posted so I bought Pyure and ugh it was pretty awful. Hopefully my tastes will allow me to use that kind of stuff.

(Carl Keller) #44

Stevia has a tiny bit of not-so-pleasant aftertaste but I felt the same way about diet sodas. I never could get used to the aftertaste. The alternative, refined sugar, is much worse than a little aftertaste to me and itā€™s not as bad now as when I first started using keto friendly sweeteners.

(mole person) #45

Honestly, I think you better off without. Loads of people here find their weight loss only starts really moving after they ditch the sweeteners. Some people seem fine with them but plenty are not. Myself, I choose to come by my surgar naturally but very seldom, and after a year and a half without much sweetness my cravings for it are 99% gone.

(Cindy) #46

I canā€™t stand artificial sweeteners. Stevia is horrible to me for some reason. I agree with pretty much everything Ilana_Rose has said except maybe the protein bit. :wink: I think we over-estimate just how much protein we need, especially as older women. Maybe if youā€™re weight lifting and want to create more muscle mass. :wink: Plus, people have fasted for 300+ days without muscle loss, so we think we need protein to avoid muscle loss, but evidently, thatā€™s not quite true.

As for eating meals throughout the dayā€¦noā€¦unless youā€™re hungry. If you really are hungry, then eat. Once youā€™re more fat-adapted, youā€™ll find you can go long periods without eating at allā€¦but donā€™t eat just because you think you need to eat or youā€™re trying to hit certain targets.

Itā€™s like CarlKeller saidā€¦listen to your hunger signals. If youā€™re not very hungry one day, donā€™t eat! That includes breakfastā€¦somewhere along the way, we were told breakfast was the most important meal but itā€™s just not true. Then, if youā€™re hungrier the next day, eat more. Eat when youā€™re hungryā€¦you wonā€™t go into ā€œstarvation modeā€ because remember your body can use calories from your own stores.

As for the dry mouthā€¦I had it horribly bad my first week of keto. Didnā€™t matter how much water I drank. It eventually (thankfully!) went away.

Once fat adapted your body will do its thing between meals and you will start to lose weight. Itā€™s my understanding that your body will only think its starving if you start lowering caloric intake long term. If you give yourself and eating window daily, say 6-8 hours and use that time to re-feed appropriately (less than 20g carbs) and eat until satiety, the magic will happen.

(Paula Fox) #48

Thanks so much everyone you have put my mind to ease about what Iā€™ve been doing. I will just be patient and will continue to eat until Iā€™m full, not eat if Iā€™m not hungry and not worry so much about meeting my calories. It is very hard to retrain your body and I think a big part of that battle is retraining our minds as well. Iā€™m use to eating every day at the exact same times due to my work schedule. And at night when I play at my computer I"m use to munching on junk food. What a struggle to break bad habits. I have made small steps in that direction. Iā€™m not eating any sugars, potatoes, breads, Iā€™m pretty much off all gluten. Like I said I feel much better as far as my joints and overall self image. I will just keep plugging along and see where the tomorrows take me.

(mole person) #49

Actually, weā€™re very close on protein too. I have one meal a day and although itā€™s mostly meat and fat I am not a huge eater. I doubt I eat more than 60g a day ever. I also agree that while losing weight people may need even less. Fung give a compelling argument for this, which is similar to yours, but my degree of certainty on protein is lowish so I tend to stay in the forumā€™s 1-1.5 g/kg lean mass when giving advice.

(Cindy) #50

Youā€™re right! I just worry about some people, especially women, feeling like they have to eat tons of protein. I think when thereā€™s weight to lose, itā€™s almost always better to be conservative.

I think I passed 110lbs by the time I was 10. :wink:

(mole person) #51

I agree. I also feel that having really high protein is experimenting with oneself. We donā€™t know what the long term effects will be. There are cultures that eat loads of animal products that are very healthy but they all eat a very high fat percentage. I doubt this is just by happenstance.

Iā€™m starting to realize that I feel better with almost all animal myself, but Iā€™m making a great effort to eat high fat, get organ meats frequently, and boil down bones and cartridge for broths.

Too much coconut oil