Stopped losing weight

(Melanie Rowe) #1

I am on week 4 and feel like I have stalled. I have lost a total of 7 pounds but that was in the first 2 weeks. Now I am going up and down with the same 3 pounds. I tried fasting but got sick after my workout. Then woke up starving at 2 am and mindlessly ate cake. Aside from that my macros have been on target every day. I have more than 100 pounds to lose and am getting midrange ketone readings everyday.

Hi Melanie

Maybe give us a detailed list of what you’ve been eating on a typical day (besides the cake :slight_smile: ) and we can try to pinpoint where the problem is.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #3

Water weight is what happens at the start. I did not start losing fat until around month four. This is a long-term project!

(Janelle) #4

This is exactly my story. I had 80 to lose. I was going up and down the same pound or two. Right around 4 or 5 weeks, I started losing a pound a week. It’s pretty consistent. Week 11 and down 11 lbs. maybe ease up on the exercise until you are used to the different way of eating and then introduce it back in.

Preplan for major cravings. Some things that helped me - hard boiled eggs, Baby Bels or other cheese, Duke’s sausage sticks, a quarter a cup of nuts (if you can limit yourself).

Stick with it. People tell me a lb a week is actually quite good. By the way ignore the guys (and the women) who seem to lose crazy fast. It’s unfair but if you’re losing slowly and not gaining, you’re ahead of the game.

(Melanie Rowe) #5

Typical day
Breakfast 3 eggs and bacon cooked with coconut oil
Lunch salad with lettuce, cucumbers, celery, guacamole, Caesar dressing, olives and chicken cooked with coconut oil
Pre-gym shake made with mixed berries, kale, chia seed & coconut oil
1 hour on the treadmill
Dinner steak or chicken, a veggie and if really hungry a small side salad. Meat and veggie cooked with butter or coconut oil
Snack on nuts if hungry during the day
I drink diet gingerale, decaf tea and water all day
Macros around
65-70% fat
20-30% protein
5-10% carb

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #6

You are stalling because whilst your body is producing ketones, it’s unsure how to use them at this stage, therefore you will not lose fat until you become fat adapted.

Stalling is normal after dropping water weight. As @Regina said, this is a long term project!

(John) #7

I stalled in week 3 and actually gained in week 4, even though I was doing everything “right.” Progress started back up in week 5 - I lost the weight I had regained in week 4 and then some.

There is a process as you start burning body fat, where your body starts pulling fat out of fat cells and replaces the fat in those cells with water. You have actually burned fat, but your weight or body appearance doesn’t change.

Then all of a sudden, when those fat cells are completely empty and contain nothing but water, the body decides to empty them out and you get what is called the “whoosh”, where you pee a lot more that day than you drank. For me, a clear sign that is happening is having to get up in the middle of the night to go, and it is a full bladder’s worth, and then again in the morning when I first get up.

Oddly enough, you need to stay plenty hydrated by drinking water so that your body is comfortable letting go of that stored water.

I have had other times when my weight didn’t move much, or moved back and forth in a range. And then all of a sudden, in 2 days I’d lose 5 pounds, after 2 weeks of nothing. And that 5-pound loss would become the new upper bound of the next up-down range instead of the lower bound.

Point being - stick with it and just be patient. Things are going on that don’t show up right away. Keep Calm and Keto On as they say around here.

(Janelle) #8

I wish for the whoosh - lol! If a pound leaves at a time, I’m happy.

Maybe go a little longer between meals without the diet sodas and snacks. Wouldn’t hurt to try right?
Sounds like you’re getting nice full fat wonderful meals at meal time, so I don’t think you would suffer too much with hunger, you know what I mean?
Another trick for me is knowing that I am only going to eat 2 meals A-day about 6 or 7 hours apart, I make sure to be satiated at each meal and I totally am not hungry for 6 or 7 hours. Trust me I was a constant snacker, Didn’t think it could be done. Not to say that you are of course.
Good luck to you, experiment and speak out!

(Jane) #10

Two weeks w/o losing weight is not a stall. Please be patient with the process. You didn’t gain it all in a month or linearly so don’t expect to lose it that way, either.

You are doing fine!!! KCKO

(Running from stupidity) #11

This.

KCKO

Not this.

You have to “Keep Calm” or you’ll raise cortisol. :wink:

(Running from stupidity) #13

yes I’m out of likes again. stupid software

Besides, FTFOKO (Freak the [spoiler]Fuck[/spoiler] Out and Keto On) doesn’t have the same ring to it. :smiley:

I kinda like it. Character building & all that.

(Running from stupidity) #16

I vastly preefer that, I could get behind that no problem :slight_smile:

Leaving that typo in, it seems to fit :slight_smile:

(Jane) #17

I just LOL at all the angst over expecting instant results with keto.

I was 2 months into the low-carb thingie before I discovered “keto”. Did I have withdrawals or “keto flu”. No idea. Didn’t have a label for it if I felt crappy. Don’t remember!!! :slightly_smiling_face:

Wasn’t expecting miracles at my age and metabolism so just happy with whatever progress I made! Nobody to compare myself to, so there’s that. Cortisol levels good!

Any comparisons now are after-the-fact so don’t have the same impact.

(Running from stupidity) #18

Yet another reason to reframe it positively, so people don’t have expectations of crappiness.

(Jane) #19

True dat.

(Running from stupidity) #20

People think I’m kidding when I say that - no idea why! - but I really am serious. We do need to reframe a lot of our stuff to engage the positive parts of people’s brain, and to stop people using it against keto.