Stop telling newbies to eat more fat!

What does this mean?

(Cathy) #310

Like a food baby. Eat too much and the digestive system becomes extended.

Bernstein talks about a type 1 diabetic who was filling up on lettuce (overfilling) and still got high blood sugars - he claims filling up on gravel would do the same :woman_shrugging:

Oh you mean distended. Gotcha. I thought it was something else.

(Cathy) #313

Sorry. Obviously distended is the correct term.:brain: fart!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Benny) #315

This is one that I’m now finding hard to understand. For each “expert” saying don’t care about calories and eat more fat in adaption others are saying if you eat too much fat you’ll not lose weight. I then think…right…you need to add more protein to stop being so hungry all the time then hear “too much protein turns to glucose” I’m now just over 2 weeks on this journey and I’ve been taking fat fat fat thinking it’s the way to adapt and let my body know it’s my new preferred fuel. Am I doing it wrong once again ?

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #316

My biggest pointer would be to read my original post on this, above, and to follow the basic guideline of eating limited net carbs, adequate protein, and fat to satiety:

(Wendy) #317

Benny there are lots of opinions on this. So do your research and remember what works for one may not work work the same for another, at least exactly the same.
I’ve shared before that I’ve lost weight and several sizes not worrying over how much fat or protein I eat but eating real foods, avoiding processed stuff and keeping my carbs low, not eating bread or sauces, not obsessing over macros, and this has worked great for me.
So don’t stress over HOW you do keto. Pick a way that you believe is right for you and stick with it consistently. If you don’t see progress after a month reevaluate and either change something or stick it out a little longer.
I just eat normal sized meals, did intermittent fasting, mostly skipping breakfast. Make sure you drink enough water, salt your food, take a few vitamins and or minerals if you want. This is suppose to be a healthy way to eat for the rest of our lives.
I hope you find it as successful and stress free as many of us here have.
We all have our struggles and our opinions of what the science shows. And our own experiences. Go live yours!

(Benny) #318

Thank You!
Yeah, it’s just the vast amounts of info I’m trying to take in. For each person that says something the next says the complete opposite.
Guess I’ll just have to try various bits of info and see what works for me and tweak over time. :+1:

(Wendy) #319

Exactly. Have you read any of Gary Taubs books? His Good Calories, Bad Calories and the shorter work, (I just forgot the title- something like Why We Get Fat) really helped me understand the hormone theory of weight loss. And yes it’s a theory it hasn’t been determined to be a law yet. :grin:
Also Dr Jason Fung’s books on obesity and diabetes were helpful for me to get my understanding of how the body uses energy and insulin.
All the best to you!

(Robert C) #320

Everything needs to be viewed in context.

• Butter coffee is great (for maintenance - not great for when you are trying to lose 50+ pounds).
  • Alcohol doesn’t knock you out of ketosis (technically true but having some whiskey at a party and then not avoiding some other highly available treats is like holding a 50 pound weight at arms length - is that being technically true making your evening better?).
  • Eat more fat while fat adapting (why would you turn Keto into a calorie restricted diet in the early stage - going through fat-adaptation? Upping metabolism is your goal. Leveraging newly gained fat burning capabilities starts after fat-adaptation. This is another place you might do butter coffee but, knock it off when trying to make the scale go down - don’t let it be a permanent habit.)

Always look for the context of the advice and you’ll do much better.
If you can’t get context - probably shouldn’t assume advice is good for all contexts.

(Marianne) #321

Crying emoji! If this is supposed to keep it simple, it just complicated it more for me. I get that he is saying the protein macro is important to meet, and of course, keep cards under 20 or 30 (twenty for me). But what about fat? Obviously I want to get healthy, but I really want to get this weight off! Is it important for me to meet my fat macro, or if I meet it or exceed it, does that mean that I will burn more of the fat that I eat and not as much of the fat in my body! Sometimes the more I read, the more confused I get. I would just like to know how to proceed for weight loss and optimal health.

It’s actually relatively simple- don’t worry! More fat until you’re fat-adapted can be helpful for the metabolic transition. Once you’re adapted (6 weeks or so, but this varies for each person) you can drop back on the fat and use your own stores for fuel.

(Brittany Allen) #323

Interesting! There are lots of videos around stating that you won’t lose weight if your protein intake is more than your fat intake. Is this just untrue? I was using MCT oil to up my fat but, when I cut out high fat foods I’m just eating to reach 75% then my protein and fat macros are fairly even. That’s fine for health and weight loss purposes once I’m in ketosis?

(Jim) #324

Do you means your grams are fairly even? My proteins are often higher than what my app allows, but never close to even in terms of grams with my fat intake.

(Brittany Allen) #325

I mean, if I’m not upping my fat intake for keto, my grams of protein eaten per day end up being fairly close to the grams of fat I eat per day.

(Brittany Allen) #326

So in my context of trying to lose weight maybe Turkey and string cheese aren’t so terrible to include in my diet? Haha

(Cindy) #327

Marianne, a lot depends on where you are in the ketogenic way of eating. In the very beginning, you have to increase your fat intake because if you drop carbs without doing that, then you’re pretty much just eating protein on a calorie restrictive diet.

So “phase 1” is to eat more fat, keep carbs low, eat to satiety, don’t go hungry. That let’s your body know that there’s a readily available energy source (fat from your plate). Once you’ve done that for a while (sometimes as long as 6 weeks), you become fat-adapted (you have the mechanism to burn fat instead of sugar for fuel).

THEN you can cut back your dietary fat to more efficiently burn your own fat.

Personally, I think all the macros and numbers are doing people HUGE disservice. It implies that if you eat the “right” numbers, you’ll lose X amount of weight. But that’s just not true…there are a LOT of variables, from age, gender, metabolic health, lifestyle, etc.

But if you stick to the low carbs, you get to a place where you can make adjustments to what YOU eat and see what works best. Don’t worry about what someone else does for grams of protein or fat…find what makes you feel best.

(Robert C) #328

These are leftovers of the low fat movement. Turkey - around the end of November - ever otherwise?