Stomach Flips

So I’ve been intermittent fasting for approx 2 weeks now. I started with the 16:8 and the last 3 days I’ve been doing the 18:6 and now my stomach is doing back flips. I’ve been drinking black coffee and water. Is there anything I can do to help the feeling or is it just getting adapted to it?

(Mark Nelson) #2

You’ll need additional electrolytes while fasting. Try adding some salt to your water or if you make a form of “Keto-aid” try a cup or two of that and wait for an hour to see how it affects you.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Cut the coffee drinking without food, try tea in between meals if you need a hot drink or a caffeine boost. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Joey) #4

@Obese2beast Welcome to the forum!

When you say “stomach flips” do you mean gurgling/grumbling sounds? Or are you having other digestive issues? And just how much coffee are you drinking? (BTW, drinking lots of water on an empty stomach can also make some noise.)

So assuming you just mean noise, then yes, as @David_Stilley suggests above, coffee on an otherwise empty stomach can cause extra grumbling for some individuals (vs tea).

It sure used to wreak havoc on me even pre-keto … I’d typically go 'til 1 or 2pm before eating my first solid food each day even while still eating carbs - you know, that 18/6 sort of thing. But having my obligatory cup of coffee in the morning sure made a lot of noise around mid-morning.

I still drink my morning coffee (typically only 1 mug with 100% cacao powder). And since cutting out the carbs, this rambling stream effect has been significantly reduced.

Yet I can empathize with the noise and still recall those years of wishing it would be quiet down there during those morning meetings with others. :shushing_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

I took “flipped” as burning or stomach upset, like GERD or acid reflux. Or just a sick feeling. Not rumbling. A little rumbling is normal on an empty stomach. I think when you’re eating the SAD that rumble is a warning that the carbs you ate will run out soon and you need to eat some before you crash. It’s the SAD interpretation of hunger. Stomach rumbling and hunger are very different things we learn eating ketogenic. I rather like the empty stomach feeling now because I know there’s not an energy crash coming up. I feel lighter and more energetic when my stomach is empty. I also sleep much better empty. I drink some water and rumbles disappear.

Hunger is when you actually feel the energy slump starting, running out of gas.
At least that’s how I interpret hunger. That’s why snacking is so easily avoided with KETO, we really don’t need the quick energy boost that we were previously conditioned to supply when the stomach rumbles. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Eleanor ) #6

This is going to sound strange. When I first started Keto and got the Keto Flu, I read that if you take a teaspoon of regular yellow mustard it stops the nausea. I tried it and it worked. It has something to do with neutralizing the acid. Also a teaspoon of cider vinegar in a glass of water is supposed to help to. I’m not a pro or anything all I know is what worked for me. Good Luck