Stomach Cramping

I’ve been on the diet for 8 days now. I’ve been very successful. No hunger. Down 7 pounds, and normally I don’t lose weight easily. Keto pee tests are looking great. (Yes, I know they aren’t preferred but I’m new and to be blunt, I was expecting this diet to fail.)

My problem started just yesterday. Stomach pain and cramping, feels like it would go away if I just had a good poop. And actually, doing that does help calm it for a while. Actual stool is very soft. Pain also decreased by eating, chamomile tea, and broth.

What the blank-ity-blank is going on? Why did this start a whole week after changing my diet so drastically? What can I do to stop it?

I think that is typical keto flu symptoms and your body adjusting. It may take 6 weeks to become “fat adjusted” where you’re burning fat for energy.

I thought once i hit one week that I had escaped without doing that flu thing. :frowning:

This feels nothing like the flu! I want my money back!!! (joke)

Could be low water and electrolytes: sodium, potassium, and magnesium. I’d eat lots of spinach and avocado salad and put salt in your food/water.

Did you add any foods that you don’t usually eat? I haven’t eaten much veg lately, last night I ate a spinach salad and had a similar pain all day. I think my body doesn’t like leafy fiber greens.

I don’t usually eat a lot of animal products at all. And the pitiful servings of veg. are somewhat concerning. I usually eat much more.

Maybe it’s just the change then. Your gut microbes (bacteria?) are probably aligned to what you usually eat. If you change it up drastically they are probably going to be a bit pissed off. You might need more of a different kind of enzymes - may take a while to build those suckers up.

(Somebody chime in with science here - I know what I want to say but can’t figure out the words)

Also if you like your veg then eat them. There are folks that do vegetarian keto, so you can still eat quite a bit of low carb vegetables

My plan is to experiment with traditional keto for two weeks and then see if I can transition back to at least semi-veg without losing any benefits.

I’m looking for migraine reduction, not just weight loss. Since it is a neurological problem, the carbs in those leafy greens can really through things off. Fine for dieting, not so good as a potential migraine cure.

If you have some suggestions around enzymes, I’d like to hear them.

(Jessica) #9

Any way it’s gall bladder related?? You could have been keeping it at bay with veg eating and had attacks adding in fatty stuff.

Yikes! That’s possible. Maybe that’s why I felt better on a veg diet.

(Nicole Silvia) #11

I had some of this, not sure if it was diet or a viral thing, but I have been taking a lot of electrolytes and a good multivitamin and probiotics. Been better. I also wonder if I’m learning which types of foods my body loves and hates. There’s so much fat that I can tell more now which foods I should and shouldn’t be eating.

(Omar) #12

do you have any IBS or SIBO history?

(Tesha) #13

You likely need more salt. Drink a cup of bouillon in the am and pm and salt your food. You are excreting a lot more sodium each day so you need to to consume more. Much of the ‘keto flu’ is caused by sodium deficiency. Check out Dr. phinney’s talks on YouTube about sodium intake.

I think I’ve found a way to help my body with this. I’m taking Bitters. Its an herbal concoction. It helps with digestion. Encourages your natural enzyme and acid production, as well as intestine motility.

Woot! Excited to find a natural solution… but to be fair, it hasn’t worked yet. Time will tell.

Does anyone on this thread know if grain alcohol has carbs that need to be counted? Herbal tinctures include some - literally under a teaspoon, but I’m being strict because I have a neurological thing.

(Omar) #15

do you mean this article ?

Bitter herbs include dandelion, burdock, gentian, artichoke, chamomile, milk thistle, motherwort, goldenseal and angelica.

I do not even know where to find such herbs

The article didn’t come through, Alpha. Yes. I do mean herbs like that. They assist and support healthy digestion. Also - they help you poop normally.

You can find these herbs at your local healthfood store, or online these days. In the US, herbal quality is a big deal, as the field is under-regulated. I trust Herbalist and Alchemist brand. They are local to me and make a good product in small batches. They do have a website if you are interested in exploring herbs more.