Still having trouble going over protein

(Dee Eichler) #1

I am a 67 yr old female. I weigh 218 lbs and am 5’4. My macros are 108 fat, 82 protein, 16 net carbs and 1311 calories. My problem is that if I eat 2 eggs and 2 bacon for lunch and want to have 7 or 8 oz meat I go over my proteins. Is this as problem. I dont understand how so many people post all this food they are eating in a day. What am I doing wrong?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #2

It’s not a problem.

(Bob M) #3

Are you saying that you’re eating what you posted and you aren’t hungry? If so, it’s not a big deal.

Unless you’re going over by a tonne it really shouldn’t be a problem. I’m also 5 ft 4 & can easily eat 100gms a day.

EDIT: was meant for the OP :slightly_smiling_face:

(Dee Eichler) #5

Ii am hungry but dont have any macros other than maybe just fat. Everything has protein or carbs

(Carl Keller) #6

I’ve read 20 articles that say don’t eat too much protein and 20 that say don’t worry as long as you are not eating an entire cow in one day. Here’s one of the articles that says don’t worry about your protein macro so much. Enjoy the whole 12 oz ribeye!

https://perfectketo.com/how-too-much-protein-is-bad-for-ketosis/

I was just visiting @juice 's accountability thread and I’ve always noticed how the man eats lots of protein but he keeps on losing weight. One good thing about keto is that everything is not set in stone (except stay under 20 net carbs)… you can try different things and if it doesn’t work, you can go back to doing what you were doing.

(Edith) #7

82 grams of protein is about 12 ounces of meat. I don’t think some eggs, bacon, and a big piece of meat will really put you over your 82 grams. Also, the 82 grams is more like a guideline. It’s really not possible to measure any food you eat perfectly exact. Another thing, the fattier your cut of meat, the more fat and less protein per ounce. So making sure you are eating fatty cuts of meat instead of lean meats like chicken breast also cuts down on protein.

Finally, I am a 5’3”, 53 year old female. I do find if I have a big hunk of protein later in the day, at dinner, my blood sugar is higher and ketones are lower the next morning. You may find you want to distribute your protein a little more evenly throughout the day. I’ve been eating this way for over a year and I finally figured out what moderate protein is more me, and that is about 4 ounces of meat per meal.

(mole person) #8

Try, as much as possible, to add rich sauces and mayos etc to your meals. This will distribute your fat more evenly, and help satiate your hunger without driving protein up too much. But if at the end of the day, you feel you need more protein, then do it and test to see if you are still in ketosis. We’re just not all the same, and those calculators won’t apply exactly to almost anyone. I find I’m fine at 50-60 g of protein a day and I lift weights daily and have constant respectable muscle gains so I know it’s plenty for me. But people really are very different. I think Richard from the Dudes put up a graph in one of his talks where he shows the incredible spread in protein requirements among a group of young men being studied. I think the lowest was a measly .3 g/kg of lean mass. That makes my intake look massive! However, the high end was way above 1.5 g/kg.

There with you, Edith, I have no problem holding down carbs and eating fat, it’s those darn proteins. If I eat too much protein at night my BG will be almost 10 points higher the next morning. Goes down steadily throughout the day but starts out highish. Maybe eating that ribeye over two meals might help that spike.

(Laurie) #10

I don’t understand this.

2 eggs = 12 g protein
2 bacon = 6 g protein
8 oz meat = 40 g protein (more or less)

TOTAL = 58 g protein

Even if you’re eating very lean meat, I don’t see how you can be getting more than 82 g protein. Can you clarify please?

(Edith) #11

Interesting. I am not the only one to whom that happens. I was thinking about creating a new thread just about the effect of protein on my morning blood sugar levels. I’m curious about why that happens.

(mole person) #12

This won’t be for everyone, but I actually buy plain beef or pork fat and fry it up and have it as a side with my meats. It lets me get satisfied on far less lean meat. Another option is frying some pork belly or bacon, but not to crispy, you want that fat!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

Maybe try your steak earlier in the day and a lighter meal with lower protein for dinner. I was eating too much protein daily and weight loss stalled at 2 months. A tweak of less protein, more vegetables (including fermented vegetables which I have been making at home) and fat. That got me going again and lost 8 lbs in the last two weeks. Also watch cheese and dairy, cutting them out for a bit may start you losing again. Good luck😃

(mole person) #14

I believe it’s the protein causing a spike in glucagon which leads to gluconeogenesis.

I was under the impression gluconeogenesis was demand driven not supply driven. The only macro I monitor is carbs. I imagine I’d be way over my protein macro.

(mole person) #16

Yes, it is demand driven. But eating protein leads to higher glucagon which increases demand for gluconeogenesis.

(Edith) #17

Thanks for your input. As a result, I found a rat study that actually showed just what I noticed. Rats fed a higher protein diet had higher fasting blood glucose levels.

I imagine gluconeogenesis takes some time so that would explain why the blood sugar levels would be higher so many hours later.

(Dee Eichler) #18

My lunch today was
1/4 C parm cheese. 7.6
2.eggs. 12.6
2.thick bacon. 8.0
1/2 c aspargus. 2.2

My dinner
LG salad. 2.2
7.5oz boneless pork chop 64.7
This adds to 103.2 that’s over 20+g over. And I’m hungry!

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #19

I would add a bunch of fat to the salad like homemade dressing, cheese or avocado and I suspect hat will satiate your hunger.

(Dee Eichler) #20

I have plenty of fat in my salad. 2 tablespoons of oil and vinegar dressing and 1 tablespoon mct