Still having trouble going over protein

(Carl Keller) #21

There’s lots of info if you google “protein effects on blood sugar”. The key is insulin. Insulin keeps glucose in the liver after eating high protein while the glucose runs free in the blood of people with insulin deficiencies. The prevailing recommendation for people with diabetes is moderate protein.

Protein has a minimal effect on blood glucose levels with adequate insulin. However, with insulin deficiency, gluconeogenesis proceeds rapidly and contributes to an elevated blood glucose level.

(Laurie) #22

@Dee_Eichler, thanks for the clarification. I still think part of the problem is too much food.

If it were me, I’d eat the pork chop, the bacon, and the eggs. This comes out to just 85.3 grams of protein, which is close to the number you’re aiming for. These foods and numbers are very similar to what I eat each day in my 2 meals. I don’t get hungry now. I used to be hungry all the time (that’s how I got fat).

Why are you eating a large salad, asparagus, and parmesan cheese? Try cutting back, or even cutting them out. I believe it will help you. Really, the more I eat the hungrier I am.

(Edith) #23

Where are you getting your nutrition information?

According to MyFitnessPal, 8 ounces of pork has only 46 g of protein, 2 large eggs has 12.5 g protein, 2 slices of thick bacon has 8-10 g, and the Parmesan cheese has about 8 grams. That’s approximately 72 g right there. Add in the small about of protein from vegetables you are pushing 80 grams.

Maybe you are not eating as much protein as you think?

(Dee Eichler) #24

I’m using carb manager app. Mayb I should try another app. This is becoming so confusing and frustrating, trying to do this diet the right way.

(Dee Eichler) #25

I looked at carb manager 8 oz is 63, looked at macro app and its 42. IS THERE A RELIABE APP???

(Vladaar Malane) #26

Trust your body as well. If your craving the protein eat it. Maybe you need it atm. I wouldn’t stress it unless your going way beyond.

KISS it, Keep it simple stupid as they always told us in the military and that is the beauty of Keto.

I have a bad habit from when I was in the military of eating fast super fast. Also everything on my plate. So, for me eating to satiety involves slowing down the speed I eat. Sometimes, I can do it but other times I can’t.

What is it you are trying to achieve? I’m not sure from your post what the problems is, if indeed there is one. If you are simply comparing yourself to others - stop doing that! If you are worried because you aren’t eating exactly according to some macro chart that someone has told you is exactly what you need to eat each day - stop doing that!

Unless you really need to keep a tight rein on your protein because you are insulin resistant for example or have simply found you feel and do better on a certain amount then I wouldn’t worry about it. It is pretty hard to get into the kind of levels of protein that would be any kind of cause for concern (and those levels are debatable anyway depending who you speak to).

Forget macros for a minute and just focus on what feels right for you. There are some general guidelines that apply to almost everyone and not snacking or eating late at night are two of them. Try and eat within a 12 hour window max - if you can bring this down to a lower number even better. It sounds like you stick to meals only for eating though which is great.

So what is it that is not feeling right? Are you still hungry? How long have you been keto? It is pretty common for things to take a while to normalise, including hunger and satiety signals. What is the problem you are trying to solve? Let’s start with that :slight_smile:

(Dee Eichler) #28

Yes ,I’m still hungry at end of night. Not satisfied when eating dinner because I’m always making a small portion of protein cuz I’m over my macros. Then it becomes not satisfied the while evening. Have been on keto for 2 and half weeks. I’m a 67 female and need to lose 75 lbs.

Then I would say it is still early days. A lot of people find that their appetite decreases when they have been keto for a while. That is why you also see so many people talking about fasting - it just follows on naturally for many people (although not all and is not necessary as part of keto).

My advice would be to keep a track of what you eat only of you want to/need to really from a carb counting perspective. Carbs are the thing you need to focus on getting used to how many are in what so as to keep them at (ideally) <20g per day. Try leading the charge with how you feel rather than what the numbers say when it comes to protein and fat. Make yourself a plateful of food that is satisfying both in taste and satiety. Everyone is different when it comes to working out what that balance is. One person might find that they really prefer to load up on the protein and go easy on fat but another will find the opposite. One person will find that eating really, really low carb works best for them whereas another will only feel full and happy if the eat closer to the 20g per day or even a bit more. Nobody can (or should) tell you what your particular balance is. Of course, you may also need to tweak things from a weight loss point of view that might vary a little from what you would most like to eat but that’s life sadly. Happily though most people find they enjoy what they eat even if they need to be a little stricter for a while for weight loss. This is why it is such a sustainable way of eating. What you will also find is that whatever you find works well now will almost definitely change over the coming months and that is fine and why really thinking about how you feel and what is working/not working for you is paramount.

Remember too that there are other factors that impact weight loss and also how well you feel day to day - sleep, mood, stress, etc. Keep an eye on those too and most of all just KCKO (Keep Calm and Keto On) - this is early days and it takes a while to find your feet.

If you’re hungry, eat. Pretty simple.

(Dee Eichler) #31

Tha k u so much for the support and information. I will chill out and get back to u on a few weeks. Hopefully everything will fall into place because I truley believe this is the healthiest way.

I am sure it will and yes I do too.

Kind of but also kind of not. It really depends how much emotional eating is an issue for the person involved.

(Jane) #33

You can reduce protein later on if you stall. For now, it is more important you keep your carbs under 20 g to get fat-adapted and eat enough protein and fats at your meals that you aren’t hungry in between and before bedtime.

Like Daisy said - some people feel more full and stave off the hunger longer with more protein… some with more fat… Whatever works for you until the hunger tapers off and then you can start looking at protein and fat macros.

FWIW, I have only tracked carbs and never cared what my fat or protein intake was but some people have to track it or they overeat. Not taking the first month - EAT! Don’t get on the “lying liar who lies” (scale) for a while. Get your body adapted into burning ketones for fuel and tweak macros later.

This may not work for someone only trying to lose 20 lbs, but in your case the main goal will be to reduce insulin response so you can unlock your fat stores. This is done by eating low carb, no snacking and reducing the number of times you eat per day and extending the time between meals. You can almost do these in that order - first lower the carbs to < 20g (check), then stop snacking (couple of weeks later) then reduce your eating windows (after fat adaption - 6-8 weeks or longer).

I refuse to stress about excess protein or net carbs from leafy greens and brussels sprouts. I suggest you do the same.

I simply don’t believe that either will throw you out of ketosis (and neither have for me, yet). In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if you could stay in ketosis on significantly higher protein than some of these scary keto listacles seem to suggest.

Great read! Thanks for this, CarlKeller.

(Kathleen Rose) #36

I’ve noticed these nutritional discrepancies with different apps. I use carb manager but I research every ounce of food first and create my own custom list.