Stick blender + coffee + cream = SPLASH

(Bruce Pick) #1

I haven’t yet found how to use our stick blender in coffee with cream, without splashing coffee outside the container. What’s the key here? I’ve tried it in a few coffee mugs, and even inside our stainless coffee pot, which has a lip to prevent coffee from escaping. Even in that pot, whizzing the coffee splashes the mixture out onto the counter.

Our stick blender is an AC powered Hamilton Beach. Maybe it’s too much stick blender for this job? Do I need one of those little ones powered by a couple AA batteries? This one’s spinning end is 2.5" diameter - or about 6.5 cm. Has high and low speeds.

Thanks for any help!

(Ed) #2

I’m using a stainless steel tumbler only filled 1/2 to 2/3 of the way. Blend it and then top it off.

(Robert C) #3

I think these are best - I bought the Aerolatte (from Amazon) and I’m happy - batteries seem to last a long time.
Even with one of these, you want to start with an oversized cup or start frothing with just half of your mixture first (still enough power to throw coffee over the edge if you are not careful).
Good to give it a stir with a spoon first if you add collagen (or some other powder).
It is really just a frother - not so much a blender.

The other benefit with these is you can be first awake and not wake others trying to make your coffee.
I am pretty sure it is a lot quieter than anything you plug in.

(bulkbiker) #4

Just use a spoon?

(Katie) #5

These are the only ones I can use without splashing. I also made a mess by using my stick blender. Stick the little whisking one (if you buy one) further down in the coffee because if you do it toward the top it will splash more.

Smaller ones powered by battery for me too, though its only about an inch across. Definitely agree to still start with a large mug!!

I use a small one that comes with four little attachments. I use it for each cup of coffee and only splashes when I get right at the top of the liquid. I’ve purchased the same model three times since 2014. I use it to beat eggs For Omelettes and scrambles, too. It’s under $10. It looks cheap but has been incredibly reliable, handy and easy to use.

Norpro Cordless Mini Mixer, 5 Piece Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E39LYO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ax8EDbR1WFAE8

(outlawpirate) #8

I agree. My big electric Hamilton Beach Stick blender is too high powered. This little AA coffee frothier is what I use.
MatchaDNA Milk Frother - Handheld Battery Operated Electric Foam Maker For Bulletproof Coffee, Lattes, Cappuccino, Hot Chocolate, Sleek Drink Mixer (Round Tip 1 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6F1SQ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_e-8EDbYC2C0ES

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

Yes, the frothier will do the job. A good sized mug also still helps. I often froth the cream and then pour it on top of the coffee.

I use the frothier now when I add something else along with the cream, like keto mct powder mix.

My stick blender turn broth into creamy cauliflower and leek soup and makes my keto salad dressings including mayo. So both hold places of honor in my kitchen. .

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

If you have a standard blender try removing the blades and see if you can screw a standard mouth mason jar on in place of the pitcher. Most cheap blenders have the same threads. You can put your stuff in the jar and whip it good! No splash, rinse the blades and it’s done. @amwassil turned me on to this :+1: but my Kitchenaid blender has it’s unique base so no go for me. But making pesto or salad dressing in a jar with no clean up is another benefit. I’m looking for a cheap thrift store blender base to do this now. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Wendy) #11

Has anyone tryed this? I have been looking at it trying to decide if its something that would be a good idea to try , or end up in the trash?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

@Wendysue1960 To answer your question, no. MCT powder usually has either a starch or a sugar like maltodextrin to absorb and suspend the oil and make a dry powder. Sometimes acacia fiber. A liquid oil is better but less convenient. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Wendy) #13

Yeah figured it was too good to be true. Thanks! Appreciate your input!

(Marianne) #14

Hi, when I make bp coffee, I just put it in a tight tupperware container or the like and shake it pretty good. It still gets the froth and is very good. Not cleaning my blender every time I want a bp coffee.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #15

All you folks trying to make coffee with various oils in it, here’s the way to do it, get good and consistent results:

The only fats that mix OK into coffee without a real blender are cream and MCT powder. And MCT powder barely. It tends to get lumpy unless you add it very slowly, stirring constantly. In my humble opinion, a countertop blender and a mason jar are your best friends.

Whey protein (low carbs) and hot water

Here’s my method. I could’ve actually stopped halfway through but wanted to see if I could capture the blending strength.

(Bruce Pick) #17

Thanks, David_Stilley AND amwassil! When checking, I found a spare quart size mason jar, and it does indeed match the threads of our blender. So I used that method this morning. It did the job - cream + coconut oil blended thoroughly into coffee -without adding a new gadget to our kitchen. A small stick blender might be a bit more convenient but this worked immediately.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #18

I use a 500 ml glass straight side measuring cup. If I am doing my full recipe BPC, it is 100 ml cream, two egg yolks and 1 Tbsp coconut oil, plus a bit of salt. I usually mix this together first, then add some coffee and carefully pulse it in. I feel like mixing in some of the hot coffee makes it mix in with the rest of the coffee easier without the blender, just pour it in. Then I add about half of this to my coffee cup and top off with more coffee. It mixes together well this way without any messes.

Or if I’m using my aeropress I do the same, but press the espressoish right into the measuring cup and pulse it in.

The container the stick blender came with is much taller, so I could do everything without all the fussing, but I don’t like the idea of hot liquids in plastic, even if it is just for a minute and is probably fine.