Stevia - Addendum for additional context

(Joey) #1

Since going keto 4+ months ago I haven’t bothered with artificial sweeteners. Never had a compelling sweet tooth (and didn’t want to tempt fate anyhow).

But trying to get my wife to more fully embrace keto by cutting out more of her beloved carbs has remained an on/off/on challenge. Yeah, she’s giving it “a go” - but (unlike me) she struggles with a wicked hankering for sweets.

So I thought I’d help her along with the transition by cooking up some Stevia-based treats for her to try. Thus far, I’ve made cacao/coconut oil/pecan treats, avocado nut ice cream, and even a keto pecan pie all using Pyure Stevia extract (which contains no other sweetener ingredients but stevia extract). Actually, they’re not too bad, and I’ve been joining her in eating these faux desserts.

But THEN I began to wonder… hey, hasn’t it been reported that Stevia can raise insulin levels? Uh oh. I haven’t really noticed any physical effects of eating this stuff … but maybe I’m doing damage.

[FWIW, my morning BHB ketone levels have remained unchanged from before any of this Stevia stuff, but still… I wondered…]

So this morning I did an isolated time-series Stevia-only test on myself to see if any significant change in blood glucose could be an indication of a hidden insulin response.

Starting from a fasted state, I put 1/4 teaspoon of Pyure liquid Stevia extract in a small glass of water and drank it just moments after taking my time zero (T=0) blood glucose test. [Food critic report: it was sickeningly sweet … I’d never want anywhere near this level of sweetness in any actual menu item. Yuck.]

OBSERVATIONAL RESULTS: I detected no meaningful effect on my glucose levels over the course of 2 hours. Look for yourself as here’s the data and a visual:

As seen, my blood glucose ranged from 88 to 92 mg/dL. Frankly, I would’ve expected more variability just from measurement error (KetoMojo).

Now, I do appreciate that everyone’s metabolism differs and I’m just an n=1 subject. I’m not making any broad claims here for anyone else. Most important to me: my wife’s body chemistry could be entirely different.

Nonetheless, please do tell me if I might still be missing something important here and drawing the wrong conclusion - at least about how my own body reacts to Stevia?

TENTATIVE CONCLUSION: Unless perhaps there’s some adverse behavioral effect brewing (e.g., I begin to grow addicted to the Stevia sweetness in an otherwise keto-friendly diet), it appears that my ingesting a heavy dose of Stevia extract in isolation (during an otherwise fasted state) had no measurable effect on my blood glucose during a relevant measurement window of 2 hours. Therefore: I can infer that the Stevia did not affect my insulin level either (since a rise in insulin would have served to force down my glucose level - which apparently did not happen. Fasting glucose remained virtually unchanged.).

Thought I’d share my n=1 experience while inviting you to consider whether I’m missing something here.

Monk fruit vs Stevia
How long after a snack to measure blood sugar?
Stevia increase hunger?
Stevia insulin spike?
(Windmill Tilter) #2

Interesting results! I love seeing data like this. What device do you use for measurements?

Also, the potential for insulin spike isn’t necessarily the largest risk posed by stevia from my perspective. The real issue is whether or not it affects satiety signalling and/or cravings.

If you were in a diner and you put some cinnamon essential in a diffuser at lunchtime, 50 people would order apple pie and not even consciously know why. No insulin spike or other obviously physiological marker involved. Cravings and satiety signals are enormously powerful, but poorly understood.

If you’re not trying to lose weight, it really isn’t much of an issue. If weight loss is your goal though, artificial sweeteners can undermine progress for many people. Personally I avoid them. Everybody is different though.

If it helps your wife ease into keto, then by all means go for it. It may have the opposite effect however, but due to cravings and satiety rather than serum glucose levels. If she’s making good progress towards whatever her goals are, there probably isn’t much harm in a bit of stevia now and then.

(Joey) #3

@Don_Q Glad you enjoyed the info (Data Geeks Unite! :nerd_face:) In response: measurements were taken with the KetoMojo blood test unit; luckily, by the 5th blood draw I ran out of fingers.

I think your point about signalling/cravings is an important one. I’m assuming - since my glucose didn’t budge for 2 hours following a glassful of incredibly over-sweetened Stevia-H2O - that the sugary taste didn’t prompt any cephalic response that released insulin. FWIW, I don’t recall feeling particularly “high” as an endorphin release might have provoked. Hopefully I don’t get hooked on the occasional Stevia treat.

As for my wife, I’d much prefer we not eat “sweetened” things of any sort, simply because it prolongs a precarious food-taste association that won’t likely lead to any good. But, to your point, if it helps her make the transition, it’s for a good (and hopefully temporary) cause.

As for losing weight, she would greatly appreciate that outcome. That’s not really my own issue as it was never a motivation for me to go keto in the first place. Nonetheless, I wound up losing 20 lbs in 4 months (60+ yr old male with more energy than I ever recall, BMI now @20, 31" waist…).

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone discovers some nefarious connection between Stevia extract and ??? … seems like a matter of time even though it’s sourced from a natural leaf. So, all things in moderation. :vulcan_salute:

(Joey) #4

Not sure whether this might be relevant, but here’s an additional thought…

Having shared that I don’t appear to have a response to Stevia extract, I also happen to be highly insulin sensitive (per NMR panel report) and am clearly a “lean mass hyper-responder” whose LDL-P and -C both went sky high after cutting out the carbs.

Again, just wanted to add this additional context in case someone down the path wanders by searching for threads about reactions (or lack thereof) to Stevia extract.

(Paulene ) #5

You only have 5 fingers?! :grin:
Having to prick myself is the reason I dont have a blood glucose monitor.
I know, I’m such a wimp.

(Joey) #6

To suggest that pain is involved would be a gross exaggeration.
But I’m left-handed :wink: