Step by step plan?

Hi guys. New here. I’ve tried to start keto a few times but I always find the planning out meals too much and it throws me off. Has anyone tried one of those step by step programs to help them get into the groove? I found this one for sale online but I don’t know if it’s worth it. http://thetoponlinereviews.com/keto-resource-28-day-challenge-review/

Thanks.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Welcome to the forums. I didn’t find it particularly difficult to cut out carbohydrate, and just eat whatever meat and fat happened to be on hand. I suppose I’m lucky that a repetitive diet is not a problem for me. I could happily live on bacon, eggs, hamburger, and cheese, with the odd bit of above-ground vegetables thrown in. There are plenty of recipes suitable for a ketogenic diet in our Recipes forum, and www.dietdoctor.com offers easy meal plans (they may ask for a small subscription fee, I don’t remember). There are also services that will ship you ingredients and menus, but my impression is that they may be more expensive than you want to pay.

I should say that I made it into keto in two stages. The first was to cut out sugar and all sweet foods, and not worry about grains and starches. But I quickly felt so much better that I ended up dropping my carbohydrate intake to ketogenic levels a few weeks later. (It helped that the brands of low-carb bread available in my area happened to be dreadful.)

I don’t know about the one you linked to. Diet Doctor has a good plan and you can sign up for free to start. I personally have to keep it simple.
I look for what meats are on sale each week and that basically plans my menu for the week. I’m still relatively new myself but have gotten good at planning so I’m not left stuck without options and then making a right into Pizza Hut.

Here are my basics:

Good luck!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

It’s really simple and hardly any planning or special recipes are required for. I recommend buying an inexpensive digital scale if you don’t own one to get a handle on portion sizes. I also recommend using Cronometer tracking app to find hidden carbs in foods you eat and to keep a tab on what you eat daily to make sure you are staying under 20 carbs. You can download the app or use the website Cronometer.com

Eggs any way you like, with meat, low carb vegetables or cheese, sour cream up to you for breakfast.

Meat and vegetables of your choice with butter for dinner. You will get the hang of it.

I wouldn’t recommend complex keto recipes starting out like pizza or lasagne type stuff. You can look at this thread to see what other people are having.

There’s a free plan for life! :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jill F.) #5

I agree with other posts here, keep it simple. I work FT and have a stressful job and special needs teenager so that leaves little desire for me to cook. I cook about 2x a week and we do a lot of leftovers.
Once a week I put a roast (either beef or pork) in the crock pot with a can of Cambells French onion soup and seasoning and let it cook about 8 hours. It is fall apart tender and delicious! We eat that with steamed veggies (broccoli and cauliflower) on the side drowning in butter :slight_smile: or we cook 6 steaks or chicken breasts and eat on those a few nights with either steamed veggies or grilled asparagus on the side. I get veggies once a week and wash/chop them up to have prepped for steaming at night. Or you can buy frozen ones if that is easier.
Find something that works for you, this works for us. If I come home stressed and hungry, I tend in my old ways of eating, to order a pizza or binge on things that aren’t very healthy. Hope some of that helps!

(Annette ) #6

I agree with Mommyjill2005. I do most of my cooking on the weekend. I grill a bunch of burgers and steak, maybe bake some chicken thighs or a roast of some kind in the crock pot, boil some eggs, bake some bacon in the oven. I portion everything out into containers for breakfast and lunch and eat the rest as dinner. I’m a mom of 2, and they eat what I eat, maybe with an added starch. It lasts all week and doesn’t spoil.
Happyheathyketo is opening up a coaching session this month starting in September. They give you meal plans and recipes and group coaching calls. The price seems very reasonable.
Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck. Come back here and get support.

(Marianne) #7

Hi and welcome.

I’m sorry, I didn’t look at this, but I don’t like planning meals or elaborate cooking either - although some of the foods that people are making here look incredibly delicious.

I just cook meat and a veggie or salad every night. (Sorry, we eat OMAD. If you aren’t there yet, it’s easy to make bacon/eggs/butter for breakfast and lunch is easy - tuna salad, egg or chicken salad, pepperoni, little cheese, hard boiled eggs, etc.)

I take something out of the freezer a few hours before I am going to pan fry it and thaw it in a sauce pot with warm water. Then it’s just steaming some veggies and mixing them with bacon grease or butter and salt. Lots of possibilities for variety, especially if you substitute a loaded salad for the veggie - add eggs, bacon, cherry tom., etc., and full fat dressing. My husband and I have been completely satisfied, with no fuss.

(Marianne) #8

Us, too.