Steak Frites

steak
frites
leek

Steak frites is just another way of saying “steak with fries”. Usually, it’s steak accompanied with shoestring potato fries. But, in our case, we will use leeks…will do the job with significantly less carbs.

First get a bowl filled halfway with water ready

Get a leek onto cutting board

Give it a few coarse chops, to extract the tender part

Don’t throw the hard parts in the garbage. Freeze them, for next time you make bone broth

Split one piece in half

Remove the cores…which will make it easier to chop

Julienne the leek, making all your cuts thin and uniform

Throw the julienned leek in the bowl of water

Get your hand in the bowl, shake the leek pieces around, make sure any dirt or sand falls off

Transfer the leeks to a sieve, and rinse under running water, and then let drain to dry out

While the leeks are drying, heat up an inch or two lard in saucepan. Get it hot for frying the leeks. Drop one leek piece in…it should sizzle right away when oil is hot enough

Throw the leeks in the hot oil. Use wooden spoon to stir the leeks around.

Don’t walk away from hot oil. You need to stay there in attendance until the leeks are done (6 to 15 minutes) depending on temperature of oil

When the leeks are ready, they will start browning very quickly. Immediately pick them out of the hot oil and transfer to bowl lined with paper towel. Sprinkle salt while they are still hot

While the frites are being done, cook your steak (any type of steak you want, cooked anyway you like it done)

Plating of steak frites (with pickles and Dijon mustard)

Steak was done to perfection, and the leeks are perfectly crispy!

The perfect bite: juicy medium rare steak, crispy leek fries and a dab of Dijon

What did you Keto today?
(Cathy Schroder) #2

Have you ever made these in an air fryer @fiorella ?

No I haven’t. But, it should still work, though.

(Cathy Schroder) #4

Then I will give it a try! Thanks for the recipe.

Report back on how it goes. I’d be interested to learn how it turns out. :yum:

(bulkbiker) #6

Have you tried zucchini (courgette in the UK) chips? They should work well too. I have made chunkier ones in the oven but matchstick should work maybe? I don’t have a deep fryer and am doing a zero carb month so can’t try at home yet…

How funny. I almost did zucchini instead. I usually cut them bigger, because they are more delicate. They make great ribbons, actually. Slice very thin lengthwise and they come out like ribbon fries.

You don’t need a deep fryer. All you need is a saucepan. And lard. That’s it.

(bulkbiker) #8

Will try when back eating veg…

The beauty of this makes me want to weep! Definitely giving it a try on the weekend.

(Larry Lustig) #10

Can you do this with regular onions? They appear slightly less carby than leeks according to a quick google.

Also, in Indian grocery stores you can by bags of crispy fried onions already prepared. Not sure if anything carby is added to them besides the onions (and I assume they’ve been fried in vegetable oil) but could be an easy shortcut.

(Justin ) #11

I was going to make roasted turnips and then decided to make them into fries… WOW! Put some malt vinegar on them… Had a great “Beach Fries” texture and Taste! Was a cool accident… I ended up eating 6 turnps worth of them in one sitting. Then I looked it up. And loads of others had done the same thing… :neutral_face: IMO they would be an awesome compliment to a steak!

Onions are tricky when it comes to google and nutrition count. It is possible that carb count can be a bit lower, but not sure how believable the data is. Some onions (in same family) taste pretty sweet to me. How they are grown and stored has impact on taste.

Yes, you can fry onions the way I did the leeks. The taste won’t be as mild as the leeks, though. Which is ok, too. Still will taste ok. Depending on the onion, the colour maybe a bit different, too.

I think those onions you see in markets are fried in vegetable oil. There’s a lot of surface area. So, that means you’d be ingesting a lot of whatever oil they use. I don’t know if they dredge the onions in flour or starch before they fry.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #13

That looks kinda frickin’ delicious. I’m an onion addict.

Yeah, I understand…I’m with you there.

I absolutely LOVE onion rings, and actually prefer them over French fries. But, a no no when it comes to carbs and staying in keto. So, this recipe gives me the ability to have that onion rings treat without the carbs.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #15

Bacon-wrapped onion rings, baby. It’s a beautiful thing.