Starting tomorrow...hold my hand 😂

Hi, everyone, newbie here. Looking for advice, please. My fridge is stocked with yummy meats, cheeses and veggies to start my Keto journey tomorrow morning. My main concern is while I don’t have much of a ‘sweet tooth’, my love of Doritos and other cheesy, crunchy, salty snacks is my true vice. Any advice on what snacks to have on hand to help when those cravings sneak through?? Thank you!!

(John) #2

I suggest getting away from the snacking habit as soon as you can. Though for me that took several weeks.

I used things like canned sardines, the little individually wax-coated mini-Babybel cheeses, and nuts portioned out into separate plastic bags. Hard boiled eggs are good, as are pickles (non-sugar added) and olives (in moderation).

For some ideas, this is a good web site:

(Ellen) #3

Pork scratchings (pork rinds in US), you can make cheese crisps, but try to avoid snacking if possible.

(Amanda) #4

I agree with this, but it can be easier said than done in the beginning. It may also depend on how frequent you’re snacking now.

To beat the cheese/chip addiction you could try Whisps. They are super cheesy, crunchy and made with just parmesan. Or just have a piece of strong cheese. :smile: I love pecans with a healthy layer of powdered Himalayan Pink salt on them from time to time, just make sure you measure them out because they can add to your carb count for the day quite quickly!

For the most part, avoid snacking, but if it is between a choice between some pecans or Cheetos, go for the Keto snack! (Bacon is always an option too!)

(In Rochester NY USA, lovin life) #5

Dill pickles! they have lots of salt and I think calcium

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #6

Welcome! As stated in earlier posts avoid snacking if possible and if you know snacks like that are a weakness avoidance is best.

Keto is here to help you break the bad eating habits, you have limited carbs so filling up on snacks isn’t ideal. It’s hard in the beginning but reading up on as much valuable info as possible will help.

It helped me, and I’ve learned going from meal to meal is ideal (with no snacking between) if you’re hungry fill up on good Keto foods.

(Scott) #7

A trick that seems to help with snacking or desire for salty snacks is to get the salt grinder. Give a couple of twists into the palm of your hand and pop that salt in your mouth. Try to limit food to meal time only with no snacks. Trust me, it gets easier once you eliminate most carbs.

Great advice, everyone, thank you! Trying to get as prepared as possible.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #9

I’m jealous of you. I’m 2.5 years in and my fat loss and health benefits sort of stabilized after the initial transition from carbage to low carb. The good news is there’s no shortage of ideas for you. At this point, I can’t imagine needing Doritos with all the low carb options I have available. I also must admit that, while I can intermittent fast with the best of them, when I’m eating unrestrictedly I still snack, even though someone above pointed out that it really is best not to.

So, here are some recommendations:

• Macadamia nuts
  • Fry up a pound of chicken skins. Delicious and crunchy
  • Buy some cheese snacks. The 100% cheese kind. Crunchy as.
  • Quest has some protein chips that are pretty decent.
  • I like to cube eggplant and roast it up with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and olive oil. Like, with most of my meals. [spoiler]Fucking[/spoiler] delicious. Better than French fries imho
  • Lots of roasted stuff goes crunchy if you brown it enough (there’s a reason they call it burning them to a crisp.) Enoki mushrooms are great.
  • My sister makes me these flaxseed crackers with almond flour that are delicious and crunchy and filling. Amazing. Look up recipes for both sweet and savoury crackers/cookies online.
  • I made almond flour latkes for Hanukkah last year. I can’t remember if I used cauliflower too. Either way, look up some keto latkes recipes and they’re nice and crunchy.
  • I like to put Quest mint choc chip protein bars in the freezer. Gives them a crunchy and more filling texture.

Here are some others ideas. I bet there are others out there!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Some advice I got when I first joined was that I should eat enough at each meal to go hours between meals. But if I got hungry for a snack, make it a keto snack, and then have more fat at the next meal. That seems to work pretty well.

I snack now less than I used to, but my favorite snack foods are pepperoni, buttered Brie, pork rinds, and unsweetened chocolate.

(Catherine) #11

Hi Gabe! The eggplant recipe sounds delish! Do you mind sharing it?

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #12

Haha it is delicious! Though that’s kind of the recipe. Cube up your eggplant, fill a roasting pan, then toss liberal amounts of garlic and onion powder and salt over it. Last, add your oil, then mix it all up with your hands. Shove the pan in the oven at a high temperature (400-450F usually for me) and check on it in 30-40 mins, perhaps mix it up once or twice to get a nice even roast. Roast till it gets a bit crispy, usually around an hour or so! :wink: