Starting my own n=1 ZC eating plan I'm calliing "LowFiiZC"

(Ril) #1

I have been looking at my protein intake a lot lately, because with insulin resistance still, even though my A1c’s have be non diabetic on paper… my body easily like to make glucose from even the smallest amounts of protein I eat even while strict keto.

I’m 4 foot 11 and 49 percent body fat. I gained 4 pounds in the last 3 weeks! Even in full ketosis.

The issue is my evening meals with beef or pork or chicken throws me out of ketosis, but my midday meal of eggs or fish doesn’t.

Being strict keto under 20 grams of carbs and tracking every little detail…i can see that proteins that are high on the food Insulin index are an issue for me. and I’m GAINING weight in strict keto from my chosen protein intake.

I recently had to cut out dairy ( except butter) from the sugar cravings it gives me and the gas and upset stomach…So with my extensive vegetable allergies…I’m naturally leaning towards an all animal fat/protein diet.

So as an experiment, I am going to do a Low Food Insulin Index Zero Carb WOE and see what happens.

My plan is to eat only proteins that are under 20 on the food Insulin index.

So predominantly, I will be eating mainly Eggs and fatty Fish, Butter, lard, Bacon grease, and very small, limited amounts of beef, chicken and pork in my week. I will be consuming bone broths made from Chicken and Beef.
but not eating much of the meat, Since beef pork and chicken seems to throw me out of keto, and I get a literal “carb crash” after i eat high Fii proteins for dinner ( so bad that I cannot keep my eyes open and have to crash for about an hour) I am going to eat bacon limited…simply because I cannot get clear info on the fii on Bacon. One source says it is 30, another says it is 11. I wonder if one is pemeal bacon and the other is standard faty bacon strips.

I know I’ll get sick of fish so much, so my plan is to see how I’m feeling about fish as I go day to day, and when I’m sick of fish, I’ll eat a bone broth soup made with more fat, and add small amounts of beef or chicken for my protein, and probably make it an eggdrop soup to bump up the protein. this will help add variety to take a break from the fish daily when needed.

I will be using spices I can eat as “condiments” so salt, pepper, tumeric. and daily I will be keeping my green tea with cinnamon in the morning to help lower my insulin resistance, and I’ll be keeping my occasional afternoon bullet proof coffee ( about 2 a week) with just butter. Otherwise water will be my daily fluids ( & in the soups).

Thought I’d share here as I go along for anyone who is interested in seeing my version of a zero carb WOE for my personal metabolic derangement. I’m sick of this last 40 pounds sitting here on my butt and hips and stomach and not going anywhere in the last 2 yrs.

Changing it up

I will be very interested in learning what you discover and record as data.

(Ril) #3

FEB 18TH=Day 1 of #lowfiiZC
body stats:
28.7 % muscle
49.8% fat
41.2 % water
177.2 lbs
Hips 42.5 in
Waist 41 in
Chest 43 in
thigh 26 in

(Ril) #4

Day 1 eats

knowing that 54 grams of protein a day was too much for me, i decided to target 40grams for the first day, eating 20 and 20 at 2 meals. This was effective to keep me in ketosis after my evening meal and I didn’t have the post eat extreme fatigue where i needed to have a nap. So I know my current protein needs are between 40 and 54g a day.

I know that once I start doing some bodyweight exercises next week on a more regular basis with an actual plan, to boost mitochondria growth I will likely need more protein, and I’ll have to play with what grams of protein are needed then to feed muscle growth.

Day 2

I am getting on the scale everyday, and noting numbers, which I will be sharing once a week in progress…but I’m just looking at trends in body fat % and water/hydration percent mostly. I was happy to see that the body weight % went down! that is huge for me, because I was actually in ketosis all night, unlike when I eat too much protein and go to GNG and it takes 12 hours for me to get back in ketosis. So overnight fat burning actually occurred because I stayed in Ketosis all night.

Day 2 eats

Sunday, is bacon day!!!

Dinner was Alaskan Pollock in butter for the fat and tumeric, and it was really yummy.

After what I recorded here, I ate more from the pan while cleaning up and took in a total of 52 grams of protein. The interesting things was I felt myself pop out of ketosis and i got sluggish and tired…but the neat thing was, it was a milder feeling than when I eat beef or chicken for my evening meal, and It didn’t make me so tired I couldn’t keep my eyes open. I didnt HAVE to nap.

I did sit back and rest while watching tv while GNG was going on from 52g daily… but about 5 hours later I noted that I was back in ketosis. (mouth feel and taste, urine smell, cat pee armpits)

I wish I could afford a keto meter…but for this n=1 and my goal being prevent GNG, and burn fat again… my body signals are enough for me to tell how things are working.

(Ril) #5

Day7 #lowFiiZC.:arrow_down: 5lbs​:arrow_down: 1.5% bodyfat​:arrow_up: .3 % muscle. Having been already keto adapted…rhat is not water weight that is pure fatloss.

With 3 20g protein and accompanying fat meals My calories are at about 700 ish a day…so i am upping Calories with bone broth and added butter or a hot cinnamon butter whipped drink. Or a butter coffee to get pure fat calories in to prevent slowing my basal metabolic rate down too much.I eat fat to satiate within getting in about 1000 to 1300 cals total a day.

Learned this week: more than 20g Protein in one meal=GNG

HighFii protein within those 20g also causes mild/short lived GNG.

This is a total game changer for me with such deep insulin resistance. Im hoping week two shows similar results as i continue to eat zero carbs and only 20g lowfii protein per meal.

This week i will see what 10g high fii protein per meal does with added eggs to get to 20g per meal as far as GNG goes.

Great insights, good work!

(Genevieve Biggs) #7

Are you sure it’s GNG? Or just the natural insulin response to protein? (Which is approx .56 that of carbs)

(Ril) #8

I cannot be 100 percent sure. but since i pass out like a sugar crash if i eat more then 20g protein on a zero carb intake and my blood sugar goes up to 10mmol an hour after i eat it…im making an educated guess.

When i eat eggs or fish at 29g protein at a meal. No crash requiring a45 miute nap cause i can’t keep my eyes open…and blood sugar goes up to only 7 mmol post meal.

(Ril) #9

Either way. Avoiding passing out after a meal is a goal. And since low fii proteins prevent it. And under 20g prevent it if i have some high fii protein…its a worthy experiment. The scale moved down for me this week for the first time in a LONG time.

Insilin resistance is a major PITA

(Ril) #10

Day 20 of lowFiiZC.

Ate 42 g of protein in one meal yesterday. Most of which was ground beef…i did it as a test after mostly eating fish and eggs for my protein for 20 days.

yesterday…no passing out from insulin spike after I ate beef like i did before i started this protocol!

This is really interesting and exciting to me. I wish i had actual hard evidence in tests to prove low fii can help lower insulin resistance and or insulin over spikes…but how i feel is good enough for me.

At 30 days i will likely go back to Keto from ZC but i will definitely be eating predominantly low fii proteins.with only high fii proteins being occasional. I find ZC boring and monotonous. I miss lettuce wraps and spinach salad and avacado and coconut custard “icecream” and bacon wrapped water chestnuts.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #11

You probably know, but sugar is used in the commercial curing of bacon.
Some people say that the amount is negligible, but as you seem to be particularly sensitive in your glucose/insulin reactions, might it be worth avoiding for a while and see what happens?

(Sara S) #12

Really interesting data up to now, I guess the GNG is a tricky part of keto for me as well as I often have the same response rate you reported when testing with a keto meter after a protein rich meal. What are the results of your experiment? Did you accomplish to finish it? Would you mind sharing which meats, cuts, and fish you ate?

(Ril) #13

Sorry for the delay in update after the 30 days. Time just got away from me.

Here’s the final findings and results.

1 inch lost on hips,thigh and chest. 3 inches lost on waist. 0.4 % body fat loss. I think a lot of the inches on waist loss was from inflammation going down as i continue to reverse inflammation over all.

I know dairy is something left in my diet that is causing me an issue with insulin resistance &inflammation. Dairy makes me crave sugar too. So it’s time for it to go.

Im day 3 into my next protocol tweak for 30 days.

My next protocol is to cut dairy 100% for 30 days,still eat LowFiiZC. (Eggs, fish,bacon…minimal beef,pork,chicken) fish is isually canned sardines 2 x a week. Pollock or haddock, canned kippered herring. Bacon with lowest sugar content (whoch is usually the less salt bacon for some reason. I eat a LOT of eggs.i love them and they are versatile and easy to make.

To quit dairy 100% i am going to need a source of fat that is non dairy to keep my eating small amounts of protein per meal satisfying while I aim to keep insulin spikes low overall. ALL in the name of reversing Insulin Resistance.im aim to eating 40 to 50g of protein a day at 2 or 3 meals a day between 15 and 20g of protein per meal. Simeimes i hit 60g a day deoending on hunger. I track after i ate it…so im following hunger signs not really macros.

So I am going to have to use coconut oil and avacado.
I eat a LOT of scrambelled eggs and I cannot stomach that much bacon fat daily.
Eggs without fat is blah. And bacon fat in coffee is kinda gross!
Though technically not zero carb as traditional ZC’ers see it. Since avacado are more fat then anything…and I won’t be eating any fiberous veg at all…it is still predominantly ZC. Or shall I call it NZ “near zero” now." Hmmm

Cutting out all veggies has shown me more spices i cannot tolerate either. Mint is one. I think i just need to avoid as much grass based foods as i can right now as most of them give me phlegm, slight inflammation of my airway and asthma attacks. Hoping avacado doesnt bother me. But ill know for sure with it being the only vegetable/fruit im trying. They are somehow related to banana at a cellular level and i just read an article on how ppl allergic to banana can be also allergic to avacado.

I’ll keep this thread going through my next 30 day protocol.

(Ril) #14

Low salt bacon…because it has less sugar content and no maltodextrin in it.

Canned sardines in spring water, canned kippered herring, fillets of pollick and haddock,canned wild pacific salmon. Budget is a serious issue for me. If i could afford fresh salmon,trout etc I’d totally go that route. Lots of eggs…limited ground beef, no pork aside from bacon and a few ham slices through the 30 days.

I can now eat 24g of hi fii protein without insulin spike and passing out. But thats a top limit of all prtein intake at once too i think cause one night last week i ate 18g of egg and then 20 minutes later ate a fatty ground beef to reach 23g protein total and i got sluggish and fatigued…but my body didn’t require a nap.

(Ril) #15

Overall. In keto with so little carbs the gng is gonna happen a bit anyway…just cause my body seems to prefer the path of least resistance to get glucose. So avoiding other carbs makes the gng process last less time while im still so IR and not adopting fat burning easily. My bigger aim is not to avoid gng…cause its gonna happen…but to lower IR by eating low fii in small incriments to prevent the spikes and hopefully overall as i continue IF and aiming for ketosis…to get to a point i can enjoy a steak bigger then the size of my big toe without requirig a nap! And continue to lose the last 40 pounds of fat i have left to lose. Lol

(Sara S) #16

Thank you so much for sharing, will have a closer look at your list for next week’s grocery shopping :)! And yeah, once the steak will be bigger than you toe feel free to share a pic of that monster :trophy::metal:

(Ril) #17

Pepperoni and Kalbassa are low on the food insulin index as well. i dont eat many of them due to my allergies to so many grasses.i.e. spices. And mustard. Lunches could be more interesting for you on lowfii if such things dont bother you. Cream cheese is low fii. CHeddar isnt. Peanut butter is low fii protein as well.

I’ll see if I can refind the link on fii foods i used.

(Chris W) #18

Your experience is of great interest to me, since we have some things in common. After 5 months on Keto, I switched to ZC about 12 days ago and one of the 1st things I noticed was that If I went over about 40g of protein in one meal, my BG would drift up about 20 points. When I was researching ZC, one of my concerns was the Insulin Index value of some of the animal protein. Oddly enough, the last “big protein” meal that bumped my BG was primarily lower insulin index proteins (Eggs, Bacon and sausage)
About a week ago, I tapered off dairy. I have noticed in the last few days, I can tolerate more animal protein without the rise in BG, up to about 60-65g per meal. My BG is starting to stay down, but according to my Ketonix, I am only showing about 4 ppm acetone in my breath, so I am either out of ketosis, or borderline.
Thanks for sharing your story here so that others can benefit and learn from your experiment.

(Ril) #19

Try breaking your protein up into smaller meals a few more tines a day on ZC. See what happens to your ketones in breathe. It seems to me from what im doing is that the leaser we boost insulin from a meal…the lesser gng happems or milder…and the more we can make ketones and fat burning go up.

This was scientifically “proven” to me this week when i watched a youtube video from Dr ben Bickman

(Ril) #21

Ugg i hit enter early…on my phone… have you seen that video? I can link it if you like…or follow me on twitter if your there. @alifeungrained itd be easier that cutting and pasting here.

I think while in deep insulin resistance we need to do all we can to keep isulin lower by not overfeeding it protein in one meal. And eat more often in the day until we can turn around the resistance more. GnG is gonna happen no matter what on ZC while we are IR because i think our body wants to go the easiest path to provide glucose for what we need it for . We already kmow that ppl with IR have a harder time getting into ketosis and staying in ketosis. So the more we can do for getting better fat adapted faster the better…and i think a 3 day fast every few weeks will help that…and also eating healthy fats higher cause fat doesnt trigger insulin. And lower daily protein to the absolute personal minimum needed for your activity and muscle healing/building.