Starting my own n=1 ZC eating plan I'm calliing "LowFiiZC"

(Chris W) #22

When I was Keto with lower protein, I commonly saw 10 ppm in my breath acetone. and I normally ate either once or twice a day. I have gone temporarily gone back to eating 3 x per day on ZC to get my protein& calories up without bumping my BG. Initially I struggled to get as much protein as recommended.

Based on how I’ve felt that last few days, I can now relate to the comments about going through an additional ZC adaptation, even if already keto adapted.

My BG numbers are already trending lower than they had been on Keto lately. I’m hoping that the “additional healing” that ZC is supposed to bring about will allow me to get back to eating twice a day without short changing the protein.

After the 1st 30 days of ZC I plan to re-introduce IF, but I expect I may wait awhile before doing a fast longer than 48 hours again.

Was the Dr. Bickman video the one from Low-Carb Breckinridge? I was lucky enough to attend to see that presentation live, in person :slight_smile:

(Ril) #23

Yes that was the one. Great talk i watched it twice over…and took notes. Im a total biochem geek that way…trying to sus out the issues i have.

I have to admit the eating 3 times a day is annoyig for me. It messes up my whole day as i was used to eating oly 2 times a day very far apart. Having the ability to measure your breath and BG should serve you well to play around and see what works best for you. Please feel free to let me know here how your results are.

Ive just stumbled upon histamine intolerance info and seeing there may be other puzzle peices that are creating my specific issues as well…which all in all is leading me to think that ZC and water is the way to go for optimal healing of my entire gut and endocrine system. Eating vegs ive been allergic ti all my life and having i creased those foods hen i went low carb 4 years ago has created a serious derangement to now try and dig my way out of.

Im so glad there are forums like this and people on social media sharing their experiences…i dunno where my health would be today otherwise!

(Linda) #24

How is your n=1 eating plan going?

(Charndra Pile) #25

Hi, I can relate to your not getting anywhere for two years, unless fasting in my case. I’m also going zero carb for the same reason.
I just wanted to add that I recently learnt that butter is quite insuligenic in some cases, and using ghee gets around this. I’ve found a great source of ghee (I’m in Australia), and that’s in Indian shops. I get this great ghee from New Zealand there. Much cheaper than the horrible prices at grocery stores.

(Adam L) #26

I’d never thought of that, awesome tip thanks!!

(Ril) #27

Hey sorry for the delay. My phone browser logged me out so i wasnt getting notifications.

Well…after the almost 2 months mostly low fii Zc i went to eating mostly beef…and mostly zero carb. But also dairy and maybe a few occasion a week of berries.

I dont pass out after high fii proteins anymore so i am assuming that means ive lowered my IR back a bit. Whichbwas the initial reason for the protocol. So success…

But…

I gained back the pounds id lost and was staying stuck at 49%bodyfat and not budging at all on fat loss.

So after some small 3 and 4 day n=1 i decided to quit dairy totally. I started in april. Fell off the wagon…got back on for a few days. Yada yada yada.

After listening to Ted Neiman talk about insulins job being stopping fat burning and helping store fuel for later needs…i decided that this must be what is happening to me even on very near ZC with hi fii protein.

Im on day4 of no dairy. And in 4 days eating mostly low fii protein again to satiety. Ive lost 3 pounds and am watching the fat % number on my svale move downward again.

It is clear to me that my level of metabolic derangement has made my insulin process super sensitive to what i intake…even in the smallest.

So haven committed again for another 30 days to eat LowFiiZC with only eating beef or other high fii foods about 2 x a week. It seems like this is going to be the only way I tip the balancing point to the right side so i can actually burn the body fat off i want to get rid of yet. If I eat high fii my body is happy to be 179 pounds and stay there. Even with upped cardio and lots of exercise throug heavy yard work 3 to 6 hours a day, swimming, walking etc!!.

Hoping going no dairy is a longer term success this time. Its the only inflammitory food i was still eating. The inflammation manifests mostly in my lower back and hips area increasing the chronic pain i live with.

3 days into this second round of the protocol seems to be proving my theory. Im not measuring or counting macros, counting calories etc. I eat eggs fish or strip bacon when hungry until im not…and go on with life until i am hungry again. Im eating about 2 x a day. Woth 12 hours between meals. Probably taking in an averagebof about 80g of protein a day. Fat varies…but seems to be about equal to protein grams. Only fat i am eating is natural occouring in fish. Or added bacon fat to eggs or tuna. Etc.

(Ril) #28

Oh blood work was done last week…

A1c 5.5 mmol down from 6. Something in October.
Ld was “high normal”
Trigs was low
HDL was higher and “looking good”

My typical caregiver wasnt in office and she usually gives me print outs of my numbers and her stand in was not the type to share data.

The high normal ldl gave her an opportunity to discuss “lowering fats and eating oatmeal” discussion. To which i said. High NORMAL is a range for a reason. My LDL is NORMAL. So i wont be changing my diet. Ive reversed my t2d and am sitting here in front of you with a non dabetic A1C. So. No i won’t be eating oatmeal or changing my diet to lower fat intake.

(Ril) #29

Oh. And i also discovered I’m allergic to sulfites. So i have to watch what bacon i purchase now. Easy to figure out additional allergins when your only eating meat and you decide to have coconut and egg macaroons as a treat and you react to the coconut…shredded coconut had sulfites for a preservative.

(Charndra Pile) #30

There’s a recent Keto Talk where Dr Nally talks about this, worth a listen.

(Charndra Pile) #31

I also wanted to ask if you have tried an extended fast to tank the Insulin a bit more aggressively? I’ve done lots of 3 day fasts, which drop circulating insulin up to 70%, 70% of this 70% occurs in the first 24 hours, what a sentence!
I’ve just finished my first week long fast, and I can feel the difference…

(Ril) #32

yes I have. I’ve done 3 day fasts 3 times since jan…any IF weeks with one meal a day low fii with 23 to 28 hours between meals then a massive refeed and a 24 hours fast right after.

I don’t enjoy fasting… it is difficult to do when I am cooking for three SAD eaters in my house and I do all the housework and driving.

I do tend to fast for a few days when my water intake gets too low…fasting seems to hep me get back in the hydration habit.

i am now just following my hunger signals and eating to satiety within my LowFiiZC protocol, mostly. some days that has me not eating at all, with a few eggs before bed…other days i am really hungry when i wake up and I fuel and go about my day until I am hungry again.

i can def feel a lowering of my IR, i can eat a pound of beef now in one sitting and not pass out or feel even the slightest bit sluggish.

(Adam L) #33

Really interesting thread, thanks for sharing. I’m t2d which has been improving greatly since finding lchf then keto. My month of strict ZC (no dairy, no sweeteners) in January 2017 was a golden period for everything I measured or observed - blood sugar, blood ketones, weight, waist circumference, energy, mood. The fact I was off work first half of that month & was getting more sleep, less stress no doubt helped a lot but my experiences since - psrticularly with adding back dairy - align vey much with what you are saying here in terms of inflammation, weight stall & for me blood glucose & ketones move out of the ideal ranges that strict ZC provide.

(What The Fast?!) #34

@Chthulhu how has it been going??

(Adam L) #35

I got this from a local Indian shop here in the outer suburbs of Melbourne, $12 for 1kg which is about 80% cheaper than a premium brand I bought previously - that expensive brand is becoming very well known but I didn’t think very highly of it. This one does the job really well, thanks for the tip!