Starting my new journey!

(Oliver Benbow) #1

Hi all, just wanted to say hi to everyone and introduce myself! I’m Oliver from the UK who is just about to get back on the Keto train after previously loosing 42lbs following a Keto & IF plan. I have spectacularly fallen off the horse and felt I needed a community to interact with to keep me focused on what I hope will be a change for good! One question for you guys, what is your take on low carb bread that you can now buy; any good or a no go!? Hope you are all enjoying great health and look forward to interacting with you all! Cheers.

Welcome Oliver. Lots of low carb loaves to explore. Many are not bread. I see a buckwheat trend at the moment.

(Oliver Benbow) #3

Thanks Franko, I will have a look! :+1:t2:

(Bill) #4

Depends if you have an addiction problem to bread like substances.

If you do then it’s far better to cold turkey and break the habit than try poor quality replacements.

If you don’t have addiction problems with it then try but from my experience they are best avoided and just eat more of the other stuff instead.

(Allie) #5

Welcome, and I’m quite happy without any sort of bread in my diet.

Hi and Welcome Oliver!

Can’t help you on Keto bread as I’ve not tried it or seen any in shops. 42lbs loss shows you know what you’re doing!
Good luck!

Welcome and good luck!
There are no keto breads where I live (and paleo ones are so insanely expensive, I rather buy meat and eggs with that money :D) and I prefer to buy mere ingredients anyway but after all my baking experiments, I am quite sure good keto bread doesn’t exist for me or it’s nothing like bread.
I use my sponge cake muffins (100% eggs, various egg:white ratio) in the role of bread and they work wonderfully for me even though they don’t even very similar to sponge cakes as they completely lack the dry part. (I am not the type who ever calls a bread too eggy. Eggs make almost everything better. Except seitan, that was baffling.)
But I had years without ANY kind of bread, not even in this wide sense. It’s individual. I can eat almost anything alone. But after some time I wanted something to put my salmon spread or butter on it and now I have.

Hi Oliver,

I eat keto bread, only very occasionally, as it’s so expensive (I buy it from amazon).

I keep it in the freezer, and occasionally toast it with melted cheese and tomatoes.
Mainly for nostalgia reasons! It’s hard to let go.
I also used the rolls for loading up with cooked ham and coleslaw…not bad.
Texture a bit rubbery…and way expensive. OK for a treat; journey down memory lane.

Hi there.

Welcome aboard! Wishing you all the very best on your re-entry ; )

I once tried a gluten free bread (I think it was from the Co-Op?!) and it was the most miserable thing I’ve ever eaten; like chewing on cardboard and sawdust, so I’ve decided that if I have to drop bread, I’ll drop it entirely and not even explore any low carb offerings xD

And this is coming from someone who loved to bake their own and still drools slightly remembering how it smelled fresh out of the oven… :cry:

But you do you : ) If it keeps your carbs at the level you need them to be, then who am I to judge.

Just had a scan through the ingredients on that out of curiosity, and even if I were to decide to try some low carb ‘bread’ options, I think this would have to be a hard pass from me given that it’s still made with wheat and oats. Along with standard Keto exclusions, I’m trying to stay totally off all modern grain.

Yeah… not selling it there xD

…compared to traditional bread! That’s why I toast it. Haha.

My ham and coleslaw version…it wasn’t bad.

My melted cheese on toast (no added sugar ketchup under the cheese) version of the above keto sliced bread. (very small loaves too! £6 a loaf!)

(Allie) #14

Yep, nasty stuff.

These ingredients would have me in hospital, still have the ID bracelet from the last allergic reaction :flushed:

Yeah. Doesn’t read like something I want to eat, and I don’t even react that severely. And at £6 a loaf? Uhhh… no thanks xD

OK you been here done that but fell back.

key being my advice who one who walked this path but had to find me, NOW YOU find you is STOP REPLACING what you feel you are losing.

I wasted a year on crap keto bread, buying high price, then making my own which actually was higher cost but in the end, it ALL sucked cause damn who are we kiddin’ here, it ain’t the bread taste/texture WE want HA…well it was that way for me.

Think NEW KETO meals past the old life.

think fresh meat, fresh veg you do well on and enjoy.
eat all ya love doing just that
forget, literally forget any ‘manufactured crap for ya’ at this point.

you want this lifestyle you put a bit of work into doing just that and leaving the old behind and totally embracing the new :slight_smile:
I don’t know your life, how much of that loss ya gained back? work, stress, meds that are prescribed and more about you but in the end, I walked easily a year or more ‘trying to re-create my ol’ fav food life’ and it was a year wasted!’

Eat real meats ya love, with a side of fresh veg ya love. Done.

Make life SIMPLE for eating is the best way forward I can ever tell anyone ‘who knows and tried but ain’t go real hooks into what a long term lifestyle means’ but backslides thru whatever in life and wants to restart and keep it as darn simple AS you can~!

Fresh, easy, simple. Keep it there and we can find us thru it all long term healthy future!

(Robin) #17

As has been pointed out, it depends on YOU. I have to draw a line that I do not cross. Imitation anything will make me crave the real deal. And one of my favorite aspects of keto is the lack of cravings. So… for folks like me, stick with real food, keep it under 20g carbs and rock on.

(Marianne) #18

I don’t know, so I shouldn’t be making stupid statements, but I perceive low carb bread as “fake food” (processed).

I definitely like baking bread… Good thing (okay it’s debatable but let’s say it’s good, it can’t be far from it) my high-carber SO needs a loaf every week so I make it. It does smell nice.
My eggs smell nice too but it’s way more subtle. But they look funnier than normal bread, grow a lot and then a bit deflate but still stay nice looking…

I am pretty choosy about bread, I find almost all store-bought ones pretty inferior even among normal ones and my SO agrees so buying wasn’t an option since ages.

By the way, meat smells WAY more impressively. I so wouldn’t miss out in the smell department without bread - but it’s true it’s different…

Welcome! Looks like you have done amazing in the past. Im sure this time will work out even better.
I don’t bother with the fake breads.
Bread was always my greatest love and I have baked for years. Nothing can compare to your favourite foods. So I would rather not spend a bunch of cash on something that will only disapoint.
I’ve made a few keto breads and they are just not worth the effort. Lunches are a small box of booked eggs, meats and cheese, or a tuna mayo, chicken salad. I just havnt needed the bread.

Where aboits in the UK are you? I’m I. Suffolk and I am still yet to meet another human that even knows what keto is.