Starting keto & cancer treatment

(Buffy) #1

I just started a week ago this monday, 12feb18. Starting to get a bit out from under the keto flu, I think. My question is: I am nuts for doing this while going through cancer treatment? I am stage 4 with an ultra rare cancer & am enrolled In an experimental clinical trial. My onco Dr gave me the green light. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

(Rob) #2

Keto is increasingly prescribed for many cancers. Listen to the latest Obesity Code podcast for much more info. They talk about managing or even reversing metastatic cancers with diet, hyperbaric oxygen etc. though I wasnā€™t clear on the stage of the successful reversals. The main case study was stage 3, pre metastatic.

The key thing to me would be whether your cancer is glucose, glutamine or ketone fueled. If itā€™s glucose fueled then Keto is probably a tier one option. If not youā€™d need to do more research to work out the efficacy. Dr Seyfried in the podcast talks a bit about it but he has a book that probably has more info. Also Amy Berger at www.tuitnutrition.com has a 5 part series on metabolic theories of cancer that may be of some use.

Best of luck in beating this.

(Buffy) #3

Thank you for your kind words & info. I think I heard that episode! My only question being, I guess, is: Is my body under too much stress to go into ketosis & lose weight? I think I can answer my own question. N=1. Right? Lol. That remains to be seen.

(Rob) #4

Others who have lived your journey will know more but unless the cancer is in your liver, Keto should be less stressful to the rest of your body. Not sure if Keto flu counts as stress but it is manageable with ketoade etc. Iā€˜ll leave it to the experts from here. :grimacing:

(Hoteski) #5

A friend of mine who I work with has a terminal cancer who was given months to live. She was advised keto during treatment. Sheā€™s now still at work still fighting and still living life. That was 2.5 years ago and is the current record holder of the longest survivor of her rare cancer in the world, I canā€™t say if the diet is to blame but isnā€™t eating healthy natural foods worth a go. Keto flu only last a few days and whilst I am not a doctor at all and know nothing about your condition If it was me Iā€™d do just about anything to save my own life. From my own experience Iā€™m now 2 month in and feel better than ever but I am a healthy person with no concerning medical issues. When I was struggling with the ketosis at first I spoke to a personal trainer at my gym who has Been on keto for 1 year she suggested ashwagandha drops and maca powder to add to my protein shake. It lowers you blood sugar levels and helps your body adjust to a new diet. It really helped me and after a week I was back on track. Good luck with your journey x

Best of luck with the battle.

Seek out ā€œthe science of fastingā€ on YouTube or other streaming service. Within the documentary is a segment on how placing your body into starvation mode establishes defense mechanisms at the cellular level that greatly improves chemo treatment and significantly reduces the side affects.

Iā€™m not fighting cancer but I know my fasting experience is working to improve my body and mind.

Iā€™ve done a 21 day fast previously and it completely reset my body and my mental health - so many bennefits. Now as my body is fat adapted, I do two and three day fasts all the time for cellular re-generation.

(Jo O) #7

An easy way to know if your type of cancer might be slowed by Ketoā€¦
Was a FDG PET scan used as part of your diagnosis?
There are other tracers used with the PET scan that are not glucose base.

Ellen Davis wrote a book that basically translates Dr Thomas Siegfriedā€™s into normal layperson English.

Glad to hear your MD is supportive of the diet.

(Janet) #8

Welcome and sending you all best wishes through your treatment.
Did you also see the Cancer sub-forum here? There are some threads there with good information. I am an 11 year cancer survivor and have been doing Keto for 7.5 years and follow the news about it for my oncologistā€™s survivor clinic. I like Ellen Davisā€™s book and have every edition since it came out as an e-book. However, this year a new book by Miriam Kalamian was published which gives much more detail on how to adjust the diet by the type of cancer treated, the treatments you are having, foods to eat if having x side effect, etc. If you are IN treatment, this book is highly recommended. https://www.dietarytherapies.com/foods/v
Your decision to ā€œbe in ketosisā€ is not set in stone, you can work up slowly from cutting out sugar to low carb to strict Keto. You can fast before an infusion and after eat low carb real foods. Or change your mind next week. One Keto-oncologist recently posted an open letter to patients with a general list of what to eat, not measuring macros, just good choices if an obsessive Keto Diet G:I index is not for you at this point in your treatment. https://www.ketooncologist.com/2017/12/17/open-letter-oncologist/
Reduce your stress, be kind to yourself, reconnect with old friends, and do the best you can with your diet.

(Karen) #9

I think it key that your Onco gave the green light. Keep your electrolytes up. And prayers of support while you kick cancerā€™s behind!
James 5:15

K

(Boston_guy) #10

Podcast with Miriam Kalamian - Keto for Cancer Episode 101 http://athleticfitness.libsyn.com/miriam-kalamian-keto-for-cancer-episode-101

Another name/resource: when I watched her presentation on dietdoctor - found it most informative and intertesting

Nasha Winters - 20year cancer survival; videos and books on cancer and nutrition

And if you sign up for free month at diet doctor - you can view her whole video
https://www.dietdoctor.com/member/presentations/winters

https://www.amazon.ca/Metabolic-Approach-Cancer-Integrating-Bio-Individualized/dp/1603586865/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518361387&sr=8-1&keywords=nasha+winters

Wishing you all the best

(Tessy M.) #12

Thereā€™s adocumentary on Netflix, I believe itā€™s called The Science of Fasting, that talks about fasting before chemo. I canā€™t recall all the science, but maybe take a watch? Some interesting info there.

(Buffy) #13

Thank you for all of the great I do & resour es! I now have a general direction in which to start. God bless!

(Janet) #14

And if you do sign up for the one month trial on DietDoctor, you will also find talks by Miriam Kalamian and the Cancer series started by Dr Jason Fung mentioned before in this thread. Heā€™s up to part 12 or soā€¦and just getting started. Search for Cancer on DietDoctor, quite a lot there in one-stop shopping.

(KFdriscoll%) #15

I just bought Miriam Kalamianā€™s book on Google books.
Thanks for the tip

(Janet) #16

Great. Some of her talks and the recent podcasts around the publication of her book, are also good.
Her website has a number of helpful topics, and one place to find the media. https://www.dietarytherapies.com/media/

(SleepyMotherOf3 šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§) #17