Started fast 10/27/2018

(ennui) #1

I hope I don’t get flamed as I know many will consider what I am doing dangerous.I started my fast 10/270218 starting weight of 340 lbs I weighed 263 this morning and still feel good.
I take calcium,potasium sodium (in broth) multivitamin, Bupropion,cymbalta and kratom both cymalta and kratom for pain.
I also have 2 tablespoons of hwc in my coffee in the morning.
I know I will and am losing some muscle mass and I am perfectly ok with that, as I had a fair amount to start and I want the benefits of autophagy.
I am trying to own, or at least learn to be in charge of my ravenous cravings,I have been eating low carb on and off for about the last 10 years but I end up having a cheat meal usually for some event like a birthday, Christmas, or important dinner out.I rationalize this by thinking that I will get started back on the low carbs shortly.And I usually do start the low carb lifestyle again after I gain about 40 or 50 pounds.
I have to see this as more of a hard drug addiction in that I am only a slice of cake or tube of oreos away from the cravings that I can’t seem to control.
My hunger during this 70 plus day + fast is less than the craving then I get after I go on a high carb binge.
The first 10 days was the toughest,but once i was completely depleted of glucose and my body adapted to burning ketone bodies it got a lot easier.
I have read all of Taubes work and I follow Pete Attia I am grateful to have found this site as most all of the info seems to be backed by science and real life examples of the science
In fact until I found this site I knew nothing about autophagy.
If I feel bad or get bad numbers back from the lab I will stop my fast if I dont make it down to my desired weight by then.
I am looking forward to working out when I start eating.
I hope the exercise doesn’t make me too hungry,I feel i can handle normal hunger now, but not the ravenous low blood sugar cravings I get after a carb binge.
I will keep checking in and report how its going if this post doesn’t get locked.
Thanks,Ken

(Central Florida Bob ) #2

FWIW, Ken, I don’t see why you should get the thread locked or pulled. Other people have done long fasts and reported on them here. Plus, dropping almost 80 pounds since the end of October is fantastic!

It sounds like you’re listening to your body, and with the exception of weekly blood tests, which I’m fairly sure the IDM clinic does for extended fasts, I’m not sure what more you could do. As they say, if you’re getting sick, stop the fast. Be careful about re-feeding, but I’m sure you’ve thought of that.

Good luck with it as you go along!

(Omar) #3

you are brave man

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

More power to you Ken, I have not ventured into fasting yet but you’re an inspiration for strength and will power.

May God bless you with renewed health through your fasting journey. I hope you will consider adopting the me to way of eating when you finish your fast as it will help you manage you food addictions long term. Best of luck.
Irishred

(ennui) #6

Thank you all,and happy New Year

(ennui) #7

Still on my fast,got my lab numbers back,and they are all good with the exception of my ferritin which is at 900.It would be less then 100 if I weren’t fasting.My doctor is concerned I may inflammation of some kind, as high a ferritin level is a biomarker for inflammation. But I found it’s also common in Anorexia Nervosa and in starving.The cool thing is that with starvation and Anorexia the ferritin levels rise without the inflammation or liver damage.I’ll have to show my doctor the studies and verify there is no inflammation and the high numbers are an anomaly and associated with my fast.https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0004563213490289

(ennui) #8

98 days, from 340 to 230.Thirty one lb’s to go,still feel good and able to work my 12 hour shifts.I do sometimes get dizzy when i stand up too quickly after tying my shoes.I can tie my shoes now while standing.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #9

Wowzers! Have you researched and come up with a safe refeeding plan? Are you including your doctor in your extended fast?

(ennui) #10

I am including my doctor and I am getting labs done,so far so good.I have not come up with a refeeding plan yet.I do plan on going very slow when I do start eating.I dont recommend my approach,however it does seem to be working for me,but I did start out morbidly obese and i was ready to go under the knife if i didn’t do this.

Are you noticing effects of autophagy?

(ennui) #12

I am! My double chin is gone and the waddle from early on in my fast,I also had lots of extra skin/tissue under my arms that is disappearing.

(Bacon for the Win) #13

I’m interested in you refeeding plan, and any before and after pictures if you have some. Nice work BTW.

(Ariel Triton) #14

I’m new to this group and fasting in only doing 24hr right now. I’m curious can you please explain the me to way of eating you mentioned?