Started a Ketogenic Diet 14-10-2018

(Empress of the Unexpected) #121

oh, I thought you meant milk. (I am a former milkaholic, I had to stop eight glasses a day when I started keto). yoghurt is great.

Here is a guide to berries on keto.

(Matthew) #122

Ok. Even still, learning more about the health markers would be beneficial.

(Matthew) #123

Ok to be honest Iā€™m not a big berry person. I probably wonā€™t eat them unless there is something nutritional beneficial about eating them that Iā€™m not getting with what I am already eating.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #124

Are you using a nutrient and macro tracker such as Chronometer? Sorry, I forgot if you had mentioned that.

(Matthew) #125

Someone else mentioned much earlier in this thread about whether I was doing the whole tracking thing. I mentioned unless my results showed I was at risk of type 2 diabetes or my Trigs were bad that I wouldnā€™t consider tracking anything.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #126

This will answer your question about the preferred fuel for the brain. There are lots more like this.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #127

That was me - I have a ā€œone trackā€ mindā€¦ :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: But itā€™s not just macros - it tracks all vitamins, mineral and amino acids as well.

(Matthew) #128

Am I worried? A little. Considering the amount of fat content and more generally the huge transition from moving away from carbs towards Fat, yes I remain slighty skeptical. But based on the plethora of scientific evidence and positive testimonys I have read I am 95% confident that what I am doing is nutritionally healthier than feeding myself carbs. 6 months seems a long time to me. Donā€™t know.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #129

Well, many on here have switched to ā€œhealthyā€ fats such as olive oil, olives, avocados, nuts. It doesnā€™t have to be all saturated fats.

(Matthew) #130

Oh yes I have read lots about this. This is why epilepsy patients and some brain tumor/cancer patients have been put on Keto and results have been mainly favourableā€¦
Ketones are wonderful for the brain.
Just in this short period on Keto I have noticed my attention and focus has improved by at least 30%. Iā€™m generally a lot more productive and animated on this diet.

(Matthew) #131

Yes, thatā€™s correct. We spoke about this yesterday.

(Matthew) #132

Regina, Iā€™m not sure if you read this based on our conversation late yesterday.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #133

I did - and they will certainly be good for your lipids. People often ask me if I feel I am lacking anything, and I can honestly say no. Meat, fish, vegetables, limited fruit, nuts and cheese. You will get to the point, after you are fat adapted, that you can gradually re-introduce whatever carbs you can tolerate. It really comes down to how you are feeling. I, on the other hand, felt as good before keto as I do now, so have to track and measure periodically my glucose and ketone levels. But your blood levels are so good right now, perhaps you can tolerate more/occasional carbs. I will go back and re-read the entire thread, and see I have can come up with more suggestions.

(Matthew) #134

Iā€™m not going to touch refined carbs (or rice or pasta) with a ten foot pole. Like you mentioned Iā€™ll see how I feel. Considering my results are Ok I might have a reward day once in a blue moon if I go out to dinner say. But otherwise iā€™m going to remain as strict as I can to see what happens in 3-6 months when I get another blood exam.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #135

One question - I was not familiar with arepa? It sounds delicious but depending upon the size, etc., it has a lot of carbs in it.

(Matthew) #136

Oh donā€™t bore yourself doing that. You have been so helpful to me already.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #137

It sounds like your goal is not weight loss - in that case it might be okay to have a lab test at three months in, but I will defer to the experts. They just recommend no testing if you are rapidly dropping weight.

(Matthew) #138

Noone mentioned the arepa as being bad. I didnā€™t realise until a few days after that Arepas are high en carbs so I quickly got rid of them from my diet.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #139

Sorry, already did it. One poster mentioned that some people forget the original post, or start randomly answering questions without seeing the whole picture. I was guilty of that, sorry.

(Matthew) #140

Arepas are the biggest carb foods I miss.