Started a Ketogenic Diet 14-10-2018

(Matthew) #181

The graphs he presented show both Australian and US units.

I think I´ll give the 7 hour podcast a miss. Hehe

Yeh it’s a cool video. He can breakdown a lot of complicated things for the lay people amongst us.

(Matthew) #182

Hi everyone,

I hope I could get your feedback about my 44 year old friend’s recent blood work.
I mentioned about my friend in another thread. She weighed 99kg (158cm) in August. She suffered a cerebrovascular incident 10 years ago. In March this year her glucose result after fasting showed 116. Doctors stated in August that she had until December to rectify her weight or she would be considered for the stomach bypass surgery since she was deemed at high risk of type 2 diabetes. She has been on Keto for one month approximately, before that a low fat, moderate carb diet. Her weight is currently 86kg.

Attached are her results. Based on the graphs presented in Dr Mason’s above said video (which I’ll also attach below), can anyone let me know how these results appear with respect to if they are either Great, Good, ok, not good, bad. And what needs to be improved upon.
My understanding is the results look pretty good for someone who was deemed high risk of Type 2 diabetes. The glucose needs to come down a lot further, the High density cholesterol needs to go up. The trigs divided by High density cholesterol ratio looks pretty good. Can anyone let me know if this is correct and/or if there is anything else we might need to look at.
Can anyone add their 2 cents about the Cortisol and Hormone results. Because I’m afraid I had vacations when that was taught in school :slight_smile:

Thank you as always my friends!

Alta%20densidad%20Colesterol%20contra%20Pattern%20A%20y%20B
Triglicerides%20and%20LDL
Triglicerides%20divided%20by%20HDL

(Matthew) #183

Off the beaten Keto track:
What is True? Is this the most potent intellectual and philosophical debate of our time?

(Kay baker) #184

Hello. As one newbie to another I certainly enjoyed reading your post and appreciate the time and effort that you put into the specifics.

I started about the same time as you did and even though I researched “keto” for many months my efforts in practice have been far from ideal. I like a drink and still do, gave up cigarettes 3 months ago (only smoke occassionally in my sleep now lol lol). I limit my scotch and water to maybe 2 a night or every second night…so the alcohol cannot be the problem for my slow or NO weight loss. I am also a retired health professional and do understand the human body quite well but cannot fathom what I am doing wrong.
Oh well every body is different so I will give it some more time, after all, people’s success stories and the research certainly support this way of living.

I often wonder whether being an Aussie sometimes has its drawbacks when it comes to seeing a project through to the end…we are known for being a rather laid back lot.
I will follow most of the posts very closely as I am indeed very impressed with this site and the level of caring for each other.
Cheers…

(Kay baker) #185

I love to chat so here i am again.I n oticed that you said that if you had a drink you wouldnt be hungry. Well guess what? …I always always drink first (start at about 4pm)
and nearly always my husband has dinner on his own because I am absolutely not hungry.

As for the fat amount question. I too just couldnt work out percentage of fat and protein. Carbs was easy…20g or less.
I have found the solution …
Here in OZ there is a website called www.calorieking.com.au I believe it is also in the States.
I have been on and off this site for over 20 years and it is still totally FREE. Please have a look at it and join up. You put in everything you eat (every day) and it tells you at the bottom how many carbs you have had and what percentage of fat and protein…it is magic!!! This way i know whether to up my protein and fats or put the brakes on for the rest of that day.

The calorieking website in the States would be good for you because it lists the food you can buy there.
I hope this helps you, I know without calorieking i couldnt do Keto successfully. Good luck.

(Matthew) #186

Nice to get your post Kay and from a fellow Aussie too! Regarding weight loss did you send make a new thread on this forum asking for advice? You would need to add your typical feeding pattern (and electrolyte supplements) for people to get an idea of how you eat. I for one take photos of every meal I eat and have regularly added them here. I am unsure if the scotch might be a hindrance or not.

I have found this forum generally informative. When I started posting I was inundated with helpful feedback. Since then @Regina has been my go to person if I’m stuck on anything. @Laurie has also been helpful regarding understanding ratios between fat and protein. Other than that I have just been loading up on videos mainly from Doctors Peter Attia and Paul Mason (many are posted above) for information on nutrition and exercise.

(Matthew) #187

Not exactly. My urges to drink only occur if I haven’t eaten for a good few hours in the very late afternoon. Before starting keto I could easily down 12 beers (3 times a week) and I would sometimes get the munchies afterwards and order a pizza or eat leftovers.
On Keto I might drink twice a week low carb beer (normally Millers lite). After 5 of those suckers I feel like shite and afterwards normally stuff on a Keto snack which might consist of a boiled egg, avocado, nuts (2 tbs) and piece of chocolate (the pure stuff cocoa). Because of the beers I am probably in and out of Keto. I really have no idea nor do I care. I don’t do the pee ketones strips thing. If I needed to lose weight I probably would be more particular about the carb impact of the beer.

I just got back my blood test results regarding my liver and they were perfect. I have no idea how, but anyway. May be Keto had some part to play in that. Dunno.

This is great! Thanks. I eat nearly the same portions everyday, so I am going to put them into this site and see if I have the ratios right. You have made my day with this link. I owe ya one! Haha

I don’t live in the States Kay. I live in Colombia.

Cheers

(Kay baker) #188

Mathew…so pleased that you like Calorie King !!
Owe me one lol…yep 1 scotch and water thanks, but before dinner lol

(Consensus is Politics) #189

Well, try pork belly. There is a little learning curve to cooking it (splashed hot oil, think bacon gone crazy). Oh, and of course bacon. Some pork belly I cooked. Important tip… if you are going to pan fry, you need a splash screen over the pan. The other day I got a massive POP of hot grease across my entire face. Missed direct eye contact due to eye glasses. This can be avoided by oven cooking, maybe a broiler. I haven’t got good enough at oven cooking yet. But don’t these bellies look awesome!! I eat it with a half cup of sour cream. Mmmm mm. I also have a growing selection of hot sauces and BBQ sauce as well. There are some great sugar free BBQ sauces if you look.

By the way, pork belly is about 75% fat 25% protein. It’s like mana from heaven :cowboy_hat_face:

Oh! And see all that lovely oil in the frying pan? I pour it right into my sour cream with some roasted garlic in it. PLENTY of fat in that meal. And it’s carbonongrata!:wink:

(Kay baker) #190

Mouth watering stuff that pork belly…my favourite food!!!

(Matthew) #191

Yes, it looks delicious Frank.

(Matthew) #192

I went out yesterday with a friend for lunch and we had just about the most exquisite tasting meal I’ve ever eaten. It’s a Peruvian dish called a Ceviche,

Before that we had a dish of an assortment fried sushi. I really can’t describe it better than that except it was loaded with carbs.

Man, oh man am I feeling it this morning. Diarrhea to the max.
So I have cheated Keto twice since starting the diet. I had a medium pizza about a month ago and now the fried sushi thing. And dang I have paid the price both times. But that Ceviche was to die for. It really was.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #193

Oh, no @Matthew44 !! What do I do if I get stuck?? :rofl::rofl:

(Matthew) #194

You’re not supposed to say that! You should say, ‘yes he comes to me because I know all there is to know and more’. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #195

:rofl:

(Matthew) #196

Off the beaten Keto track:
From Cells to Cities Part 1 – Biological Scaling (Geoffrey West)

(Matthew) #197

Off the beaten Keto track.
From Cells to Cities Part 2 - Life Span (Geoffrey West)

Stay tuned for From Cells to Cities Part 3 - Cities and Growth

(Matthew) #198

Off the beaten Keto track.
From Cells to Cities Part 3 - Cities and Growth (Geoffrey West)

That is the end of the ‘From Cells to Cities’ Trilogy.