Stalled? Why

Good morning all. New to site. Been doing Keto for about 4 weeks. Down17 lbs first 3 weeks. Scale hasnt moved since. All macros are on target daily. My BMR is 2464. Im eating less than 1600 calories a day. I dont exercise but do get in my 10k steps pretty much daily. So that burns about 400 calories per day. So I should be in a 1000 calorie deficit daily. Am in ketosis, level moderate to heavy. Carbs have not been over 22 in any day since the start. I cook most meals and am sure to measure. Just not sure why the scale wont move. Any ideas? Thanks guys!!

You’re doing great! One week of scale staying the same is not a stall, and your weight loss will not be linear.
Personally I don’t like tracking calories but I know it can be reassuring and tangible for some folks. Just be careful with satiety! Your best path to fat adaptation without a danger of slowing down your metabolism is to make sure that you’re eating enough that you’re satisfied. If you go from high carb to low carb (change in fuel source! this is a big deal for the body) AND add a lot of exercise, you’re sending a signal of scarcity to your metabolism, which is not what you want if you’re hoping to drop fat.

Generally the best path is: shift your macros first and allow yourself to get fat adapted, and in that stretch have enough fats that you’re full and that you encourage that new metabolic pathway. Then, once you’re fat-adapted, you can drop your calories because you’re getting some fuel from your own fat stores.

Also - take measurements, please. Keto by itself causes recomposition and keto plus exercise almost definitely does. The measurements will be a far more accurate tracking of your progress than the scale.

Thanks. Great info!! :pray:t2:

Thx. Not fasting yet. But will move into 16:8 in a week. Plan to start 12:12 then 14:10 and into 16:8. I read a few artucles that shared go transiition for success as jumping right into 16:8 isnt easy. I will read the article you shared and see how my brain wraps around it. Lol.

Ive been keto/almost carnivore solid for 4 weeks. I eat 18/6.
Ive lost maybe 2 pounds and zero inches. Girl I think you’re doing great, just keep it up!!

(Carl Keller) #8

Hello and welcome Ketogenie.

I would just like to add that it’s possible to lose inches and not pounds. It sounds like a paradox but I’ve read about quite a few people who noticed their pants were looser but the scale hadn’t moved. So it’s likely that good things are occuring even if your scale is not cooperating.

Also, try to get good sleep and keep your stress to a minimum. Stress can prevent weight loss by making glucose more accessible and that keeps your insulin constantly high. Insulin is the most imporant variable in weight loss.

I have been doing a low-carb diet since 6/18. Lost about 30# in first several months, stalled since the holidays. Am super bummed. total carbs 20-30 before deducting fiber, have only 2 meals a day with dark green leafy vegs over 50% of the plate. Elsewhere here, others have advised to cut out cheese, so maybe that is something to try. Also was suggested to try a short fast. Due to my work (on my feet and using arms) I do not know if I could do that except when there’s a national holiday with Monday off.
Anyhow am going to check back and see what others have found as clues to get back on weight loss. One other note: I drink a fair amt of coffee with Perfect Keto Collagen powder and 1/4 tsp grass-fed butter mixed in. Perhaps this is a factor in stalled weight loss.
Am wanting to get another 40-50# GONE and drop a few jeans sizes!

Hi all. Just updating. Scale moved a few pounds. Took advice from the forums and upped my fat a bit. Thats seems to have helped. Keto sticks show moderate to high over the last 3 days. Thx again for ur support. :pray:t2: