Stall?

stall

(Adriana) #1

So I just finished week 11 on keto. As of week 4 I had lost 11.5 lbs, however after that I’ve been up and down pretty much the same pounds -1.5 to 1.5 in that range. In the last three weeks combined I gained 1 lbs. So I’ve been reading in the forum and found out that sometimes stevia can increase insulin so I thought I would cut all sources of sweetners for this past week, while increasing my dairy intake(as I also read that dairy can cause inflammation and consequently stall weight loss). So after one week I ended up gaining 0.8 lbs. I know it’s not much but considering I also did a fasting on Monday i had hope it would have an effect. anyhow this week I’m planning on not having dairy I guess my question is: how long should I eliminate something to test if that’s the culprit of weight loss stall?

Overall I feel great, in the morning when I delay having breakfast I do feel a bit sluggish but as soon as I eat I feel great again. for a few weeks there I was struggling with headaches which have now gone away.

Also how much water should I be drinking? mostly I’m doing 32 to 48oz per day, should I be drinking more?

Cheat days? So I you can see from my stats last week I did go over 20gm net carbs on a couple of days but not by much, would that prevent me from becoming fat adapted?

Thanks so much for all the help/advise.

I’ve been also thinking(after much reading) that I should not focus on calories as much; Its just so hard to change that mind set, I feel if I don’t keep then in check I might go overboard I will gain weight. So I’m going to try to just focus on not going over my carbs this week and eliminate dairy, or at least lower it substantially.

edit: to add I started at 239 lbs and as of today I’m at 229.3

(Daisy) #3

Hi Adriana! Our stories are so similar! I lost 15 lbs right off the bat, then have gone up and down the same 2 lbs for about 2 months. I cut out all sweeteners, threw in some fasting, no change. I decided to do an egg feast this week (shhh google or search this forum for egg fast, but don’t call it that here or they attack! So I renamed it egg feast :grin:) and have, at least temporarily, broken my stall! I am on day 4 and will continue at least another day. Sundays are really hard to keep up any specific program since we go out to eat as a family often.

Regarding your water intake, I would highly recommend increasing that to a minimum of 64-80 oz. I aim for 80-120 a day.

I’ll let the more knowledgeable chime in on your other questions :smile:

(Adriana) #4

I don’t know exactly how much protein I should be eating but from what I read is to limit to 90gms per day. Fat has been around 145-150 avg. I was snacking in between meals but this past week i made an effort to eat bigger meals and eat three times a day. Although I wasn’t really consistent but I will try again this week to be more compliant.

(Adriana) #5

Thanks so much Daisy, I will definitely look it up and increase my water intake this week and see what happens.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #6

Some things that might help and also some terminology that will allow you to go looking for more information.

Time Restricted Feeding (TRF) - this is the window in the day from the fist bite to the last bite. Work to keep your TRF window as short as possible. Do this over time. Delay breakfast and accelerate dinner, if possible. Don’t snack between meals and especially after dinner. But build up to this if you are a snacker. It took me a few weeks and some days I go ahead and snack.

Keeping your carbs <20g/day and doing TRF will eventually reduce the times and peaks of insulin in your system. Healthy insulin is pulsatile. It goes up and down. You lose weight when insulin is lower, or very low.
Move to Intermittent Fasting where you skip a boundary meal, say breakfast or dinner. You will see here on the forum IF 18/6 17/7 etc. The IF is for intermittent fasting. The first number is the length of time with no feeding and the second is the TRF window.

Get used to fasting. Build up your fasting muscle (so to speak). Then you can start to introduce days where you just eat one meal a day (OMAD). That is like IF 22/2 or IF 23/1. I broke my stall when I got to mostly IF 18/6 and some OMADs each week. I’m still deranged so even one day or two days in the week when I have 2 glasses of wine, I stall. (Dang :disappointed_relieved:).

It is a journey. From OMAD you can start to introduce EF (extended fasting) but get fat adapted first and read up on EF. Don’t do EF without support here in this forum and get knowledgable.

Some people are sensitive to Dairy, eating dinner after sometime in the afternoon, artificial sweeteners and more. Also, carbs hide in some food. Some people have the weight fall off. Not I he said.

I hope this helps.

(Adriana) #7

thank you Eric, I appreciate the advise.

(Christopher Jackson) #8

Advise. 1. Zero dairy milk, drink almond milk. 2. Make sure your at a slight calorie deficit, however on weekends go above your calorie deficit, to make sure you dont lower your metabolism. 3. Make sure facts (olive, coconut oil, mct oils) is over 65-70%. 4. You need to train yourself to intermittent fast, skip breakfast, narrow eating windows, it goes hand in hand with keto. 5. Drink apple cider vinegar and lemon juice when you wake. 6. Cut all diet sodas if your drinking any, I drink carbonated water to keep full throughout the day, and I now only eat once a day. 7. Lastly ignore your weight, scales tell you nothing, you could be building muscle and body weight fluctuations are normal. Just have fun, keep going, and you will see and feel the difference. Lastly dont be afraid to cheat, I do every weekend.

(Alex ) #9

@A.A

Hey Adriana, just continue what you’re doing and be patient too, especially if you’re feeling good, which is the main thing right?

Years of eating takes years to adjust from so consistency and patience is very key, Remember it’s a marathon not a sprint :wink:

(Adriana) #10

thank you for the advise

(Adriana) #11

thanks Alex.