Southern Bacon-Fried Cabbage

(Maha) #1

Oh, lordy! This Southern Bacon-Fried Cabbage is so yummy. Make sure you use a large cooking pot or pan. I didn’t do that and was only able to use 1/2 of my cabbage. No matter, it was really good anyway. I also subbed a few red pepper flakes for the black pepper. Next time I would up the onion powder. I didn’t have seasoning salt, so I used paprika and a little sea salt. I also had it for lunch today, and because I left the cabbage a bit crunchy, it retained texture really well. I think this recipe lends itself well to use different seasonings too. Maybe even add some shredded cheese?

(Rocky B) #2

I grew up on this but with just 3 ingredients, cabbage, bacon grease and salt.

My mom would melt the grease, add the chopped cabbage and after lots of stirring and mixing so that each piece of cabbage had a coating of grease, add the salt. She’d reduce the heat, cover, stirring occasionally and let it simmer for 15 minutes or so. It was slightly overcooked but that is Southern cooking for you.

It was always served with pork chops and slices of raw onion with the drippings from the chops over slices. Mashed potatoes too but those aren’t on my plate anymore. Yeah, I do still kinda miss them especially with this meal.

(Maha) #3

I think we on the west coast have missed out on some pretty delicious southern foods. I started seeking them out - methods and ingredients are a little different.