Sous vide turkey

(bulkbiker) #1

I’m practising for Christmas as it looks likely we’ll be hosting the family so took advantage of a cheap UK post thanksgiving turkey.
Breasts are in the sous vide as we speak trying 60 C for 5 hours.
Legs are boned then stuffed with 97% sausage meat with garlic and herbs into sausage shapes which I’ll cook later in the week.
Wings will just roast in the over with a piri piri marinade.
First time I have ever boned a turkey… took about an hour.
Looks good… any suggestions/advice for cooking welcome although a bit late for the breasts!

Turkey - Sous Vide & Confit.... with keto gravy
(bulkbiker) #2

(bulkbiker) #3

(bulkbiker) #4

(bulkbiker) #5

(bulkbiker) #6

Oh yes making stock with the bones of course…

Definitely interested in what you think of the results.

For some reason, never thought of turkey! :thinking:

(bulkbiker) #8

I’ll try to remember to do some pics tonight after browning off the breast…

(Carl Keller) #9

Interesting. I had not realized there would be a large demand for turkey in the UK for what I thought was just a US/Canada event. For Christmas I believe it’s about half of Americans will have ham and the other half will have turkey… some do both.

Here’s a fun fact according to google:
In 2012, the average American ate 16 pounds of turkey. 88% of Americans surveyed by the National Turkey Federation eat turkey on Thanksgiving. 46 million turkeys are eaten each Thanksgiving, 22 million on Christmas and 19 million turkeys on Easter. They also purchase an estimated 318 million pounds (144 million kilos) of ham around the holidays.

Oh and your breasts look amazing. Never thought I would say that to another man. :stuck_out_tongue:

(bulkbiker) #10

I’m not sure there was a huge demand hence the butcher selling them off cheap!

Thanks for the breast compliment… I shall show you a pic of them later once nicely browned…

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(Bob M) #12

I’ve done duck (whole thing), goose (whole thing), and chicken (breast only) sous vide. Never thought of turkey though.

(bulkbiker) #13

Ok so that was great… 5 1/2 hours at 60c gave a firm but tender and moist breast with loads of juice… browned in the pan to finish… even my turkey disliking hubby ate it!

Slightly pink but definitely cooked…
Will probably try the stuffed leg tomorrow… did I say I lurve turkey!

(Running from stupidity) #14

yes I’m out of likes again. stupid software

(bulkbiker) #15

I’ll like yours for you… ok?

(Running from stupidity) #16

I’d like this comment, but … well, you know…

(bulkbiker) #17

Best turkey I’ve ever had… and the smell from the sausage meat, garlic, sage and thyme stuffing I put in the legs was amazing so looking forward to those tomorrow!

(Running from stupidity) #18

I don’t really like turkey - too lean and too bulky for me, never really seen the point as a result - but that does look great.

(bulkbiker) #19

Interestingly there was a fat layer under the skin of the breast that reminded me of duck… I guess because I have always roasted it before I’d never really seen it but due to the sous vide it was still there… and pretty tasty. I’m very curious to try the legs tomorrow… 8 hours at 63c is where I’m going with those…

(Bob M) #20

If you brine or dry brine turkey and cook it correctly, it’s not bad. Smoking it helps too. Sous vide is a great idea, but would be tough for a crowd.