Sous Vide ice cream?!

sous-vide

(AnnaLeeThal) #1

I just found out that you can sous-Vide your ice cream mixture instead of cooking it on the stove top. What?! As soon as my ice cream maker comes I am doing this. I may try it with the lemon curd too to see how it turns out.

(Guardian of the bacon) #2

Maybe do it at a lower temp for a longer period to kill the bad bugs but still maintain more of the “raw” benefits?

I read on an egg post that 130F will kill salmonella in eggs but the egg doesn’t cook.

(AnnaLeeThal) #3

I saw a recipe for it. Now, while I wouldn’t use this recipe because it’s lower fat and full of sugar, the method sounds promising. I’m not worried at all about raw eggs, but getting the consistency right I think is the goal.

http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/2014/08/sous-vide-mint-chip-gelato/

(Guardian of the bacon) #4

I don’t worry about raw eggs myself. Use them often.
My kids however won’t let me make ice cream at grandkid’s birthday parties unless I use a cooked custard.

(pathoward45) #5

I would definitely try it. I’ve been making hollandaise with the sous vide with great results. It comes out of the water bath looking horribly curdled, but blends to a perfect emulsion that even reheats without breaking.

(AnnaLeeThal) #6

That’s amazing. I’m loving my sous-Vide more every day.

Yes, 134F/57C is the holding temp at which eggs will remain technically raw, but pasteurized and will not cook any further. It’s also great for reheating poached eggs you’ve prepared beforehand.

1 hour cook time at that temp will pasteurize.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #9

@richard
Sous vide is coming back to haunt me.
I feel afraid.

(Guardian of the bacon) #10

Don’t be afraid…jump in, the water’s fine!