Sous Vide Chuck Roast on the Cheap

(Kirk Wolak) #41

Okay, I bought a 12 quart container: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0788N21JR

Go to youtube and watch “Sous Vide Everything” with Guga. OMG, I learned so much.
But, he does NOT cook his food long enough. He brings it to temp, and finishes it on the grill, or torches it.

But that is a TASTE/Texture thing. Here is the deal. Google it for the type of meat.

Yes, I bought a vacuum sealer, and a bunch of bags. I double seal both ends. I seal, then move it in 1/8 inch or so, and seal again, just to be safe. Always REVERSE Flip the bag before you slide meat in, so that it does not get the plastic wet on the last 2-3 inches. WASTE the extra bag space until you get a hang for it. Because I have made a few bags TOO SMALL to put food in and seal, and that entire bag is a waste.

I will promise you this. You might spend $250 going all out. You will SAVE more than this in the first 6 months. You can buy in bulk, SEASON and PREP when you bring it home, LABEL it and FREEZE the extras. Straight from the freezer into the Sous Vide, it needs an extra 30 minutes to thaw… But, when you are doing a 24 hour cook. The 30 minutes is a minor piece.

The best part is when someone is running late. Just leave the meat in there. I usually sear it in front of them. I love to offer people the torch to finish their own steaks! I NEVER entertain for a LOT of people, though, but Sous Vide would allow this, just not the custom finishing… I would finish on the grill…

Time Plus Temp

Okay, with Sous vide, temp determines doneness (Rare, med-rare, etc).
For beef, I cook it to about 133 degrees for medium rare. There are established temps, just google them. Go LOW. You can always leave it on the grill.

If you don’t get the torch, then crank your grill up so it is super hot, and you get the grates hot. Turn one side off. Throw your steaks on the off side. Give them about 1 min, turn 90 degrees, for about 1 min, Switch the heat sides. And do the other side the same. DO ONE Steak at a time, in case that is TOO done for you.

Warning the higher the temp, the more juices the meat will release. It will always be more moist than the same cooking in air… But you will see what happens in the bag.

You will find what you like. Pork is WAY too pink at 140 for me!

Next. Time… Time is what makes the meat SOFTER. A Chuck roast has a lot of internal “stuff” that makes it harder to chew. So, just cook it a LOT LONGER. I cooked one for 24 hours, took it out, tried to cut it. RE-BAGGED it, and cooked it another 48 hrs! I LOVE SOUS VIDE.

Too much time WILL turn meat into mush. An extra hour? No. But an extra day. Yeah.
I made MUSHY short ribs, because I did not REALIZE.

As TEMP Goes up, cook time goes down!!! 133 for 96hrs on a big chuck roast is fine.
But the same chuck roast at 165 (well done, breaks down cartilage), for even 24 hours might be too much!

So, I suggest you start with a Temperature (doneness) that you like. Then I suggest you find the MINIMUM tenderness (differs by type of meat), and then stretch to the maximum. I would be adding 2-4 HOURS for beef at a time. Or DOUBLING the time, which is what I did for the first couple of chuck roasts. I knew 24 hrs was the minimum. And it wasn’t close. Then I went to 48, 72 and 96. Again, I am finishing with a torch, or a smoker (sometimes BOTH, smoke first, touch up with the torch).

Chicken Legs are the BEST from the Sous Vide. Nice and juicy. I will Sous Vide them, then put them in the air fryer with some oil brushed on them for a little crispiness!

OMG, I am on day 2 of a 6 day fast. LOL… Having Ribs on Friday!

(Marianne) #42

Thank you so much - very comprehensive! Answered all my questions.

I saw a s.v. machine on Amazon for $100 (12 qt., rack, bags and vacuum included). Read the reviews and people seemed very satisfied. I am going to order one and give it a shot. We have basically become very low carb, many days carnivore. My husband and I eat a lot of pork, and it is delicious, but can be dry. I don’t cook steaks very well; they are usually dry and overdone.

I can’t imagine a six-day fast - good for you! I don’t know if I will ever get to the point where I want to do that. Do a 48-hour once a week and don’t feel hungry at all, however, I don’t even want to do a 72-hour. I enjoy eating too much.

(Bob M) #43

Green gas?

(Kirk Wolak) #44

There are 4 cannisters: Yellow, Red (I believe), Blue, and Green

Green is the cheapest and has the lowest burning point. Yellow is the highest and has the burning point.

This refers to the color of the gas cannister in Lowes!

Good Question!

(Kirk Wolak) #45

I ended up breaking it today, my BP was crashing. Day 5 of 6. I will fast tomorrow and eat Friday as planned. Having people for dinner.

This is good to do from time to time. Maybe once a month (Certainly NOT Weekly, LOL)

Ask any questions. But watch the YouTube Channel Sous Vide Everything. Guga is great. Details in the text on seasonings and time/temps.

My next purchase is a $70 Blow Torch for finishing (I am talking a 3 foot long one used to kill weeds) But this is a Christmas type gift. Pure Fun while cooking!

Sous Vide will END the dry pork, just lower the temp a bit from norm. DO NOT be afraid to break the seal, Slice it, taste it. Re-seal it, and bump the temp for a little bit. I had to do that a few times with different cuts of meat to find the right temp. Beats eating a tough cut, or something that feels under done.

(Doug) #46

Pork and poultry is a whole new thing with sous vide. It’s great for beef, but the difference it makes with meats that formerly were at risk for drying out in order to be “cooked enough” is astounding.

(Marianne) #47

Are they allowed on keto? If so, there’s a bunch of “friends” I can think of!

:laughing:

Thank you! I will let you know when I get my machine and how it turns out - I’m sure I will be a convert from that point forward! We are easily satisfied, and anything that makes our meals better than they already are is a win.

(Marianne) #48

P.S. A five-day fast is extremely noteworthy to me. Can’t imagine doing that. Good for you - and knowing when you want to stop.

(Kirk Wolak) #49

Normally I eat vegans… I figure I am saving them and the planet. LOL.
But since starting, they are becoming hard to find… LOL

With the vacuum sealer, sometimes putting the item on a book or a thick cutting board helps to align the plastic.

And Pork Loin comes out the best I have ever had! Torching it for some color/texture.

(Steve) #50

They taste like chicken but you get lots of fiber too!