Source for rendered fats resulting in increased triglycerides

(mole person) #1

I’d be very interested in any science behind this or any other possible differences about the action in the body of rendered vs intact meat fats.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

What does “rendered” fats mean, actually? The poster in the thread you linked to seems to mean “warm, liquid” fat, and I am used to rendered meaning “purifed by melting and filtering out the impurities.” Ghee/clarified butter would be a type of “rendered” fat, by my way of using the term.

The other question I would ask is how important raised triglycerides are, and how long they stay raised after consuming warm, liquid fat. How serious is the problem, in other words? My understanding is that dietary fat circulates in lipoproteins called chylomicrons, which have a very short life span (hours), and that the triglycerides measured in lipid panels are contained in VLDL produced in the liver from fat released from adipose tissue. After doing some reading and watching lectures by various people, including David Diamond, David Feldman, and Ivor Cummins, I am even wondering if our triglyceride level even means anything. It certainly appears to have very little to do with our risk of heart disease, if I understand correctly.

(mole person) #3

I just mean liquified out of the cellular matrix so that it’s pure fat no longer bound up with proteins and water. Tallow and lard are rendered fats. Bacon grease is rendered fat. The fat that floats to the top of any broth is rendered fat.

I’m interested in possible metabolic differences from consuming rendered vs bound fats and am looking for articles about this. My husband can eat copious bound fats but very much rendered fat will make him ill. While I don’t suffer that issue, I have noticed big differences in satiety between the two. I have a feeling the far greater speed at which rendered fats would be digested might lead to differences that matter.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

I don’t know much about the digestion of fat, except that dietary fat gets absorbed and shunted to the liver via the portal vein, for packaging into chylomicrons. Polyunsaturated fats can cause nausea in quantity, but I’ve never heard of saturated and monounsaturated fats’ having the same effect, so your husband’s case is new to me.

ETA: I do feel queasy when attempting to eat fat past the point of satiety, however, but that has nothing to do with the difference between types of fat, or whether it’s bound or rendered.

(mole person) #5

Actually that’s not quite right. Chylomicrons form at the small intestine and then go directly into circulation to get to the various body tissues that require them.

Thus, unlike the saccharides and amino acids that digestion liberates from the carbohydrates and proteins of the diet (respectively), the lipids from the diet bypass the hepatic portal system, meaning the liver does not get “first crack” at them.

(Bob M) #6

It would make sense that rendered fats are more concentrated, and therefore there would be differences between those and “regular” fats. How do you eat rendered fats, though? The only time I eat those are for cooking or if I eat pemmican (which is basically beef tallow + dried beef).

Personally, I eat less fat now and more protein. I’m not a huge fan of eating a lot of fat.

(mole person) #7

A fair bit of fat renders out with various cooking methods. Frying, roasting, stewing, or making soups. If you are consuming the fats from these meals in any way then you are eating rendered fats.

Do you have a good pemican recipe? I really want to try this on a camping trip this summer.

(Karim Wassef) #8

Pemmican is pretty carby… just saying…

I think the protein matrix in unrendered saturated fats is more natural… but cooking isn’t exactly natural… :slight_smile:

That’s the extra fruit someone put in that particular pemmican recipe. Pemmican at it’s most basic is just fat and dried meat.

EDIT: Wow, looking at that recipe again, I’ve seen people put cranberries in pemmican before (which is annoying to begin with) but that’s the most fruit I’ve ever seen stuffed into pemmican.

(mole person) #10

Pemican was bastardized with fruits and such to make it more palatable to the Europeans. Original pemican is just rendered tallow and dried, pounded meat, so it’s zero carb.

(mole person) #11

It’s got no fat either!:roll_eyes:

(mole person) #12

I feel this is right. But I’m curious if there is any evidence that one is actually better in any way.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

The traditional recipe was just protein and fat; they started adding the other stuff to satisfy the palates of white customers.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

I find it perfectly natural to eat rendered fat, and I doubt there is any evidence to show that it’s harmful, or ghee wouldn’t be used so widely across cultures. But my question still stands: What evidence is there to show that an elevated level of triglycerides is harmful, especially when Dave Feldman has shown that this measurement is so volatile?

(mole person) #15

I’m not really asking that particular question. Whether or not elevated triglycerides is benign is secondary to finding out if there are differences in the first place. At no point in this thread have I said that I thought rendered fats were harmful. I’m just looking for some evidence that I was told was out there on a difference.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

No studies turn up on PubMed or Google Scholar?

(Omar) #17

I thought many experts consider the high triglycerides as unfavourable.

I got the impression that triglycerides has same function as blood sugar. I mean they go down for people who do lots of exercise. If we eat fat and we do not exercise, triglycerides get raised like blood sugar. But I could be wrong.

(Bunny) #18

Rendered vs. Intact Fats?

1. Industrial Hydrogenation? (interesterified fats)

2. Industrial Partial Hydrogenation? (trans fats)

3. Industrial Chemical Extraction Processes? (plants)

4. Industrial Heat Extraction Processes? (plants)

5. Industrial Cold Pressed Extraction Processes? (plants, fish oils i.e. extra virgin)

6. Industrial & Cooking Oxidation: Missing electrons inhibit reverse electron transport (RET)? See Also: Keto experiences at restaurants

References:

[1] What is tallow fat? “…Stearic acid, also called Octadecanoic Acid, one of the most common long-chain fatty acids, found in combined form in natural animal and vegetable fats. … It is much more abundant in animal fat than in vegetable fat; lard (suet) and tallow often contain up to 30 percent stearic acid. …” …More

[2] “…Stearic acid (/ˈstɪərɪk/ STEER-ik , /stiˈærɪk/ stee-ARR-ik ) is a saturated fatty acid with an 18-carbon chain and has the IUPAC name octadecanoic acid . It is a waxy solid and its chemical formula is C17H35CO2H. Its name comes from the Greek word στέαρ " stéar ", which means tallow. The salts and esters of stearic acid are called stearates. As its ester, stearic acid is one of the most common saturated fatty acids found in nature following palmitic acid.[9] The triglyceride derived from three molecules of stearic acid is called stearin. …” …More

[3] “…Metabolism: An isotope labeling study in humans[14] concluded that the fraction of dietary stearic acid that oxidatively desaturates to oleic acid is 2.4 times higher than the fraction of palmitic acid analogously converted to palmitoleic acid. Also, stearic acid is less likely to be incorporated into cholesterol esters. In epidemiologic and clinical studies, stearic acid was found to be associated with lowered LDLcholesterol in comparison with other saturated fatty acids.[15] …”…More

[4] Metabolic effects of dietary stearic acid in mice: changes in the fatty acid composition of triglycerides and phospholipids in various tissues

[5] Effects of Different Triglyceride Saturated
Fatty Acids on Tissue Lipid Level, Fatty Acid Composition, Fecal Steroid Excretion, Prostacyclin Production, and Platelet Aggregation in Rats:
The liver triglyceride decreased upon feeding palmitic or stearic acid fats.

[6] A DIET ENRICHED IN STEARIC ACID PROTECTS AGAINST THE PROGRESSION OF TYPE 2 DIABETES IN LEPTIN RECEPTOR DEFICIENT MICE (DB/DB)

[7] “…A high-stearic acid diet does not impair glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity in healthy women. … Results in epidemiological and experimental studies suggest that a diet rich in saturated fat may affect insulin sensitivity. However, no published data are available on the effect of stearic acid in this respect. …” …More

[8] “…There are some hints from fruit flies that stearic acid could be beneficial to Parkinson’s and mitochondrial dysfunction. …” …More

[9] “…There are three main types of saturated fat found in red meat: stearic acid, palmitic acid, and myristic acid. (4) Grass-fed beef consistently contains a higher proportion of stearic acid, which even the mainstream scientific community acknowledges does not raise blood cholesterol levels. …” …More

(KCKO, KCFO) #19

Not all recipes for it are that high in carbs, raisins alone would make me leave this alone. This thread is a good reference.