Sopa de albondigas (Meatball Soup)

meatballs
soup
mexican

Nice meaty soup with delicious flavours!

Ingredients:
450 g (1 pound) ground beef
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried onion (or garlic, your choice)
1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder (or other desired dreid hot pepper)
100 g jicama, diced (or use other root vegetable, like turnip, celeriac, rutabaga or kohlarbi)
a few sprigs cilantro
a few sprigs parsley
1/4 cup strained tomatoes
3 to 4 cups bone broth
30 g cotija cheese (you can use feta if you cannot find Mexican cotija cheese) (optional)
Salt and pepper

First start with making the meatballs. The dried spices (cumin, oregano, ancho and onion) was combined with the ground meat. Salt and pepper was also added to my desired level

The meat was blended and made into meatballs. I screwed up - i was supposed to make 8 balls, only 7 came out :unamused:

The meatballs were placed in a hot sauce pan on the stove to brown on all sides

While the meatballs were cooking, jicama was diced, and then set aside

I also chopped a few sprigs of parsley and cilantro

The chopped fresh herbs were set aside

When the meatballs were brown on all sides, I added the strained tomatoes

And then the chopped herbs

This was followed by adding bone broth

I turned up the heat to bring the liquid to a boil. I also added the diced jicama, and let the soup boil to cook the jicama a bit and finish cooking the meatballs

The soup was then ready to serve

However, to kick it up a notch, I added a bit of Mexican cotija cheese

This cheese is quite flavourful, and the authentic one from Mexico is much healthier because it is made from grass fed milk from cows feeding on grass during the most nutritious part of the year (July to November)

So I crumbled a bit of cotija cheese over the sopa. If you don’t have access to cotija, you can use feta cheese

The perfect bite

What did you Keto today?
(Clare) #2

This looks stunning. I might substitute good pork mince (I’ve got some great outdoor reared stuff in the freezer) and make this at the weekend.

Absolutely - great idea to substitute other proteins! :grinning: