Soooo Discouraged.. please help :(

(Sarah Herlihy) #75

I dont do meat at all ever! I have started eggs and enjoying them but totally get you cant. I think keto can still work without these things. Avocados and nuts. Lots of cheese. Yum Yum. I am currently completely addicted to butter. So weird but oh so good.

(kate) #76

I lovvvve avocados, if only they were always available, ripe and not rotten at the store!

Mmmmm nuts… and cheeses! Love them but I think my body doesn’t. I’m pretty sure nuts stall my weight loss, and the HWC… oh my, it seems like that might be a whopper roadblock. Maybe it’s a dairy intolerance idk… eggs make me feel ill, every single time I eat them… always have!

I have a feeling that if I limited my diet to only whole foods… fish, oils and green veggies… the weight would come off. But I’d be extremely bored and very unsatisfied. No matter how much coconut oil and butter I ate.

I probably need to cut out dairy and nuts… when you’re a vegetarian, there isn’t much left. I need almonds in my life! And gruyere cheese! And whipped cream :blush:

Chicken eggs are not fertilized, they are not embryos, they are just eggs, ovums (like you and me release every month during ovulation), relax. I get my eggs from a woman who has chickens in her back yard, just free and happy, and she collects their eggs and sells them, no damage for anyone, check your local farmers market. You can use eggs in so many keto things, both sweet and savory, thus adding healthy protein and fat to your diet, it doesn’t have to be just omelettes or scrambles. Also a tip, try mixing in some cream cheese to them see if they sit better on your stomach, heard it from jimmy moore and dr nally on an episode of keto talk.

I am not a fan of killing animals either, so I go for free range, socially raised, humane, small farm animal products from farmers markets (yes, including meat, but you don’t have to - cheese, butter, eggs, etc are all good). It’s more expensive, but I feel better, and since we eat way less with this way of eating, if you think about it it’s not really that much more. If cheese doesn’t sit well with you, have you tried goat and sheep cheese? Those are more gentle on the GI, after all goats milk is what they used to feed infants in orphanages before formula was invented, because it was the one that most closely resembles human breast milk. Heavy cream is also not that bad.

If you eat fish, you can have salmon, tuna, sardines, prawns, squid, etc, there is so much variety.

Limit your nuts to macadamia and pili nuts, those are the best for keto.

Aside from that, your attitude in this post is a little aggressive don’t you think? , maybe you didn’t mean to, but that’s how it’s coming across. We are all smart, adult individuals here, there is no need to act this way And yes, perhaps keto may not be for you, if you feel happier and more at ease on a plant based high carb diet and you can handle it, then do that, why are you stressing to do this? Follow what your body tells you to do :+1:

(Crow T. Robot) #78

I’m not offended. I was vegetarian for the same reasons not very long ago.

Have you looked here: https://www.reddit.com/r/veganketo/ ?

(kate) #79

Eggs gross me out period… since childhood. They make me sick to my stomach, always have… I realize they’re unfertilized. I think quiche is amazing (almond flour crust), cheese and mushroom omelets taste amazing… but they make me feel SICK.

I was taken aback by:

“You say your body hates you. Well, why shouldn’t it, if you refuse to give it the best food”

“You really are not coming off very easy to sympathize with here”

1. I didn’t ask for sympathy
  2. I won’t eat foods that make me physically ill.
  3. I found both comments passive aggressive and unhelpful.
  4. Not looking for a quick fix.

I wanted to try something new to manage my weight. I got very Ill a few years ago and due to inactivity and medications, lost my 150lb self along the way. I’ve got a lot of knowledge about health and nutrition. Keto was new to me. I thought something new might shock my body out of its blahhhhh state, by doing something crazy that it had never experienced before. The success stories online are mind blowing… I’m getting married in a month… I thought this might help me lose a bit faster… I lost 5 pounds the first week of keto… 6 weeks later… I’m the exact same weight.

It’s disappointing.

I’ll go away now.

Look at this regarding Whey

Sounds like a must stay away

I would stay away from nuts as well until your weight loss is more consistent

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #81

Oops. Late to the party.
I hope vegetarian keto is comfortable for you @kate_88 because any keto is better than no keto

I haven’t read all the comments but it seems to me you are focussing on the wrong thing to start with. You are putting pressure on yourself to lose weight for your wedding - I get that, it is an understandable thing to want to do. The trouble is that your focus sounds like (I can only go on what you say here so could be completely wrong) it is on the short-term “fix” of losing some weight rather than on the long-term goal of getting your health sorted out.

The fact that you have been on many diets before and they don’t work will tell you something about calorie restriction. The trouble is, you are focusing now on a calorie deficit. Your body is holding on to weight for a reason and you need to find out why. I don’t think that cutting this, that and something else is going to do the trick. It is quite possible that you are not eating enough - it is difficult to tell from what I have read here. How were you eating before? It sounds like you were quite probably on a healthy plan before, just higher carb?

I think you need to look inside to see what is going on. I would want to know what the following health markers had to say - so blood tests.

• thyroid (TSH, Free T3, FreeT4 and antibodies)
  • iron panel (inc ferritin, saturation, folate)
  • B12 and ideally other Bs
  • vitamin D
  • HbA1c
  • fasting insulin

You say you get plenty of sleep - good quality sleep? How are your stress levels? What health issues have you had in the past? What is your weight gain/loss history? You say you have always struggled with weight - since childhood or more recently?

There are so many factors that can influence your weight. What is important is getting to the root issues of your health. If you heal them, your weight will stabilise to where it needs to be. IMO the better focus would be long-term health and happiness and the weight will naturally follow. I know that isn’t what you want to hear because of the wedding target. I think that getting a proper handle on what is going on will be a great place to start and hopefully give you some answers so that you can be a bit kinder to yourself and enjoy your special day in a body well on its way to finding its perfect balance. Different people lose different amounts in different patterns - there simply is no standard weight loss pattern to be expected and anyone who tells you different is misleading you. It is actually very typical for women to have no weight loss for quite a while. I have seen many gain initially too. That is why it is important to focus on everything else but weight as indicators of whether this is the right way of eating for you or not. You could quite easily have a hormonal issue that is putting the brakes on, inflammation, auto-immune issues.

(Jo O) #83

I haven’t listened to this podcast yet. But it might be helpful.
Woman’s perspective on Keto and this episode is on Keto & vegetarianism.

Healthypursuit

Update: FORGET IT For you short term goals, probably not helpful for your situation.
Maybe long term as long as you stay vegetarian.

(Ross) #84

No problem!

There’s one of the two recent podcasts where they cover the issue (early in podcast).
Sounds like the same thing you are experiencing.

BTW, when I was dropping weight, I don’t think I was every in caloric deficit.
Considering how much bacon, eggs, avocado and olive oil I was eating…I was always full…never felt hungry. I probably at much more than I really needed. Not sure why it worked but it did. Three very high fat meals/day, often large. Didn’t eat between meals. BOOM.

I didn’t attempt IF until over 2 years in when I wanted to try and lower my set weight a little (it works).

Hang in there! We’re pulling for you! :slight_smile: KC&KO!

(Ren) #85

If you do not like eating animal products for protein you can eat plant based products for protein.

Obviously quinoa, beans and lentils are not a viable source on the ketogenic way of eating. However Flax Seed meal, Chia Seed and Hemp hearts are ketogenic friendly and are a good source of protein and fat, while having low net carbs.

Also are your measurements changing even though your weight isn’t?

That is all i really have to add to the conversation, good luck in sorting out your deranged metabolism!

(Roxanne) #86

I’ve recently discovered pumpkin seeds as a good source of protein, high in fat and lower in carbs than nuts.

I recently started eating pumpkin seeds and I haven’t fully forgiven myself for not eating them sooner in life. They shot straight to the top of my list of favorite snacks. Haven’t sampled may varieties but the Trader Joe’s ones are awesome!

(Roxanne) #88

Costco carries a large bag of slightly salted ones In their baking/but aisle. You can get some nicely spiced ones in some other stores too, I’m still experimenting.

(Becky) #89

I love this video! Whoosh! Whoosh! Whoosh!

(Jane Reed) #90

The phrase “keep calm and keto on” isn’t just a clever riposte. Among other things it means, to me, that giving up on this way of eating will send me back to the sort of diet that made me fat and unhappy and drove me to trying keto in the first place.

In 3 more weeks I’ll be at my one year anniversary of starting keto. I’ve lost 25 pounds. If I believed the fairy tale success stories I would have packed it in long ago. I have more to lose, though not nearly as much as you. I won’t lose it by throwing up my hands and diving head first into a bag of chips or a quart of ice cream. (If only.)

You spent a month researching this WOE so you must have been convinced that CICO was not how you could drop fat and get healthy. Surely that hasn’t changed, has it?

So you are one of the unlucky ones for whom keto did not rocket you to slenderness. Same here. There are thousands of us who just have to dig in and stick to the program because there really is no other way to get to our goal.

My advice:. stop reading those wild success stories. In a year’s time, on your wedding anniversary, have a portrait photo taken of you in your wedding dress, where it will be hanging off you like a potato sack. Then have another photo taken dressed in a wedding gown that fits like a glove. I can see it now, and you look great.

(MooBoom) #91

It’s pretty obvious you’re not getting the weight loss results you hoped for and thought were reasonable.

It’s also perfectly natural and totally human to be really really upset about that, especially because you have invested so much time and effort and research into something you were pretty certain would yield results, and has obviously worked super well for a lot of other people.

As a bystander, it is hard to read the pain and frustration in your posts- you really have a way with words hehe! I feel your pain I really do! But honestly, at this point, diving headlong into how awful and frustrating and disappointing this has been for you is obviously only making you feel WORSE. You don’t want that, none of us want that for you either! It seems you are at a crucial point, where you kind of need to accept that this hasn’t worked the way you want it to, and decide how you’re going to move forward.

Are you going to chuck it in because you’re a slow starter? Or are you going to hang in there, cheered on by all of us who want to see you succeed, healing your body at the pace it wants to go at.

Please choose the latter- lots of love to you and a big old hug.

(Davey B ) #92

Wow, it sounds like you’re doing all the right things, and very disciplined! If you’re in Ketosis, and it sounds like you are there, please be patient and let your hormones adjust (catch up) to the new program (no more carbage, yay!)

My wife had the same delayed response with her weight loss. Once her hormones adjusted, after almost 2 months, great things happened and weight started to fall off. In the meantime she did feel better overall, and luckily there was no time pressure! :sweat: I know it’s easy to say but… Be patient and stay with it because what you wrote sounds very good.

Do you feel better, inflammation, energy levels, blood sugars, sleep,…? If so, try to focus on those benefits. The weight loss will definitely follow! :+1:

Stay the course, and we’ll cheer you on! All the best with the new lifestyle and the upcoming special event! :blush:

Regards
Dave

(Anne) #93

Great video! Thanks for posting

(Ross) #94

http://veganatheart.org/vegan-keto-low-carb-diet-with-meal-plan/
You may find this handy. Tim Noakes just tweeted out this link today.
Great stuff inside!