Soooo Discouraged.. please help :(

(kate) #1

I am really in need of some guidance, advice, help… anything!

I’ve been doing strict keto for just over a month. The first week… I lost 5 pounds (obviously water weight) since then… the scale has gone up and down 2 or 3 pounds, and I’m in EXACTLY the same place as that first week!?

I’m 45 years old, female, 5’9, have had weight issues my whole life, have lost significant weight a few times with calorie restriction & exercise, but gained it all back.

My starting weight was 262 on August 5th

I weighed 257 on August 12th (one week keto)

Was 254 last week

Today I weigh 257.6… the same as after my first week???

I AM PISSED!

I haven’t cheated. I’ve been strict. I am well below 30g of carbs per day… usually under 20g!!

I do 16:8 intermittent fasting EVERY DAY!!

I don’t eat much dairy at all, do not gorge on nuts or keto friendly baking or treats!!

I eat mostly salmon and veggies.

I eat zero fruit.

I do drink a protein shake once a day because I don’t eat meat… so it’s hard to get enough protein.

I ditched the diet pop 3 months ago!!

I avoid sweeteners, except for stevia in very small amounts.

I am eating enough fat.

I am at a caloric deficit.

I’m dark purple on ketostix daily.

I hit my protein macros every day.

I’m getting enough sleep.

Whaaaaaat am I doing wrong???

I am soooooo upset. I’m getting married in 2 months and thought this new lifestyle would be a god send… to now be the EXACT same weight I was a month ago, after my first week… it’s demoralizing. I want to scream and cry at the same time. I want to give up.

Do I need to start carb cycling? Is my body in starvation mode? Has my metabolism completely died? I do not understand. Is there something wrong with me? Do I need my doctor to check something?

I have at least 80 pounds to lose! I should be losing much faster with the amount of extra weight I’m carrying… I see success stories all over the Internet of ppl with much less to lose, dropping weight like crazy… I don’t understand.

Please help…

(Carpe salata!) #2

Give the scales to someone you don’t like so much and KCKO.

Sounds like you are right on track.

(kate) #3

How am I on track? I have lost nothing! I am literally eating 1000 calories less per day, than before starting keto. That alone should equal weight loss! Plus daily intermittent fasting! It makes no sense.

(What The Fast?!) #4

How much is enough?
You also mentioned a deficit - how big a deficit are you running? Are you hungry during the day?
Most likely, the answer is more fat, which yes, I know, sounds crazy. Read Good Calories, Bad Calories - it will help describe why that’s the case.
Also, how much protein are you eating?

Are you pooping?

3 lbs up on the scale is just water, I know it’s hard, but don’t stress. The answer is almost always - more fat, be patient.

(Brian) #5

Maybe it would help us if you would flesh out in more detail what you’re eating and how much. That might give a bit more of a context.

You say you don’t eat meat but you apparently eat fish. Do you eat eggs? Do you eat dairy and/or cheese? What veggies are you eating? Do you drink a lot of coffee (thinking mostly of caffeine)? What are you using to get in those fats?

Not trying to pry but more details might help to give more specific replies.

(kate) #6

My fat macros target is between 100g (low) to 141g (moderate)… I’m always between there.

My protein in between 71 and 91 daily… the lower end is the amount needed at my goal weight of 165 pounds. I read it was beneficial to maybe go with your goal numbers… so it’s always between 70 and 90.

I drink psyllium husk powder daily, so yes… things are moving… daily!

I know 3 pounds could only be water… but that means that I’ve lost NOTHING in a month. At 255 pounds… that’s ridiculous. I lost more weight… faster… eating chips & salads :confused:

(Griffin Mekelburg) #7

You are def on the right path. Your scale tells you nothing important for right now, it will ONLY frustrate you. Your body is still switching over to a new fuel source and during that time we go through weird issues and plateaus. With you still just over month on strict keto, I would say give it a few more weeks, and continue to watch how you FEEL and not how much of you your scale feels lol. That scale will always be your worst enemy. Also make sure you are eating enough fats and not a huge amount of proteins. Do not worry about losing weight so quickly as well, rushing this will also lead to failure. This is a lifestyle change, it will not happen overnight. For me, it took almost 2 months to truely feel fat adapted. I started with about 120lbs to lose, nearly 2 years later, i am still about 20lbs shy. I dont care tho, my waist is 5 sizes smaller, i am mentally clear, i feel great, i have more energy, a number on the scale can never equate to how this diet will change you from the inside out. Keep up the work, stay on track, write down what you are doing and see if maybe there are any hiccups, and you WILL get there :slight_smile:

(kate) #8

Not prying at all! Thank you for any help you can give!!

I don’t drink coffee.

I eat twice daily… one meal is a 1 carb scoop protein shake made with heavy whipping cream, and usually some peanut butter powder added in, or just plain natural peanut butter and cocoa powder.

the second meal is usually salmon with salad, cauliflower, green beans, avocado.

I eat a few tablespoons of seeds or nuts daily. Usually Brazil nuts or sunflower seeds on my salads.

I drink lemon water or plain water.

I’ll eat homemade almond crackers & olives, with a little cheese every once in a while.

I eat raw organic coconut oil.

I don’t like eggs, they make my stomach sick… but use them in recipes.

I get fat in with Coconut milk or Heavy Cream in my protein shakes, nut butters, coconut oil, fat bombs, buttered veggies!

[donning helmet]

How many calories are you consuming each day? When I see nuts and nut butters and fat bombs and oils, my calorie meter goes off.

[/donning helmet]

Edit: oops. I see 1000 calories a day above. Hmm. I’m stumped :thinking:

(What The Fast?!) #10

Girl, I feel you, believe me!! But listen - if you’re take that husk powder, your water weight is going to fluctuate majorly. Do you think you can handle staying off the scale for a bit?

Are you hungry throughout the day? I’m wondering if you’re getting enough fat - I would probably add a couple Tablespoons of coconut or olive oil - you could do it in your protein shake.

Also, I know it’s obnoxious - but you’ve gotta try and reduce your stress (I’m working on that myself). Maybe try some mindfulness activities (meditation) or sit quietly in the morning sipping coffee or tea to start your day. Stress is b*tch and can make our bodies do the exact opposite of what we want.

(kate) #11

Thank you sooooo much for that :slight_smile:

I hear you… I was just expecting something more dramatic. I’d be happy with a solid pound or two a week!

I have noticed other benefits, non weight related… my hunger has definitely decreased, I am no longer a slave to bread and chips, or late night binges… also my resting heart rate has gone down to the 60’s… where it was close to 100 before. I am also less anxious. Those are all amazing changes.

I’m just feeling like no matter what I do… I’ll be a fat ass forever… and I really wanted to look better on my wedding day…

This math doesn’t jive with your daily 1000 calorie report above. At 120g of fat at 9 calories per gram, that’s 1080. 80 grams of protein is 320 more. 20 g of carbs is another 80. So a total of 1400, not 1000. You’re off by 40%. Are you sure your portion sizes are correct and you’re not overdoing the fat/calories?

Edit (again!) Ugh! My fault again. Darn phone. You said you’re 1000 LESS than before. Sorry about that! Wow, you seem to have this dialed in. I’m still stumped! :thinking:

(kate) #13

Calories are between 1100 and 1600 daily.

I’m very careful with amounts, and don’t eat more than a few tablespoons of nut butters, fat bombs are a pretty rare treat.

How about more aggressive intermittent fasting like 23:1 or 20:4? Have you ever tried that? I’m trying to think of things different than what you’re doing…

(kate) #15

LOL seeeeee…

It makes no sense!

I’m literally measuring out everything now and remaining between my low and moderate macros on fat, carb and protein every damn day!

My calories are between 1100 and 1600 daily.

I know I ate well over 2000 before, some days close to 3000… that’s what happens when you eat an ENTIRE BAG of potato chips almost everyday.

That’s what I just cannot understand… calorie wise alone… I’m eating probably HALF of my previous daily intake… and replaced those starchy carby calories with healthy clean fats!

That alone should equal weight loss.

I just don’t understand.

(Griffin Mekelburg) #16

I so feel you on that. Im currently on my own plateau and fluctuating between “damn im looking better” and “am i bloated or bigger?” rofl!

What I do at these times is try to do a 1-3 day fast, it seems to recurb all my cravings and reset my metabolism like a charm. My personal life has been crazy so i havnt gotten around to it, so here i am camping out on my plateau a few more days. If you start to lose more and fall back, it is just a learning lesson. Look back on what you ate what your activities were and see what may have caused the hump. Then in the future you wont hit that same speed bump :slight_smile:

You may also look into MCT oil, I notice i can feel more fat loss with a little extra fat in the form of MCT. (Also a good tip for before a big fast I have found for myself, have a gorging of fat the day before, a good amount of coconut or mct oil as well. It staves off my hunger longer might work for you, def do some research on fasting theres so much lol)

Lastly, you may need to start adding some exercise in, something cardio and getting your heart rate going a bit. I do some jiu jitsu which is super intense lol, but i also go on jogs and do sprints as my main exercise, along with a kettle bell workout. Just a little workout and i feel my body workoing on fat burning again and my energy goes through the roof!!! I hope these tips help out a little, please let us know any progress reports as you go on!!

(Carpe salata!) #17

I hear you. Maybe keto is the magical answer. Well, it kind of isn’t but it kind of is.

The scales are a menace because keto is often about re-configuring rather than weight. The weight shifts, muscles build, bones unsoften… If I think about it, I realise I can stand up from the chair and walk with a spring step rather than struggle up and limp forward bent over. Its amazing on one hand, but on the other, its just the new normal.

I dropped 10kg since January and have ‘stalled’ for a few months. And that’s without being so strict like you are. I’m sure you will look better and feel better on your wedding day. It will be wonderful nomatter what.

But think about this - you’re on keto. You’ll buck the system of getting married and then putting on 30lb. You’ll get married and then emerge into your fabulous beach body thereafter. It sounds like an amazing plan !

(kate) #18

I don’t know if I could fast for 20 hrs everyday. But I often go longer than 16… sometimes 18… I just eat when I feel hungry. All these lucky ppl who only intermittent fast a few days a week and get these incredible results… make me want to scream! I’m doing it DAILY…

ARGGHHHHHHHH :sob:

I hear you. I’m normally pretty good at picking out those one or two things that someone’s not doing quite right or optimally. But, here, you’re stumping me!

Have you ever had your thyroid/levels checked?

(kate) #20

You are so right… I am stressed!

Need to start meditation again, and yoga :wink: