Sooo Not A Fan of Truvia

(Patrick B.) #1

I know it’s the stevia in it but I used it to make Kim’s Lemon Curd because it’s the sweetener on hand. It tastes great at first and then this cloying after taste sets in. I’ve bought sucrolose to try next and I’m going to work my way down. I only eat 15g at a time (a spoon) and I enjoy it until the bitterness sets in… blah.

Try erythritol…for those who have bad experiences with stevia, erythritol seems to consistently be the best alternative.

(Patrick B.) #3

Well that’s why I tried Truvia… It’s a blend of erythritol and stevia… I read that it takes the edge off stevia… Not to me!

(Becky) #4

I agree about the cloying after taste of Truvia. I do like sukrin, but it’s mail order and paid shipping. Locally, I like the green packet of stevia mix at Aldis. It seems milder then truvia.

I got that…just suggesting eliminating the stevia and going with erythritol.

(Jason Webb) #6

I’ll concur with Scatter. I don’t get along with stevia in any form, but erythritol goes down smooth.

(Rich Hopkins) #7

I don’t like Truvia, either. But when it comes to Stevia, I think brand matters. I’ve had some I don’t like, but the one I like is the NOW brand. I like it enough that I bought a jar of 1 pound of the concentrated powder. I think that’ll last at least a year or two. I blend it with Erythritol, for now, though I’m pretty new to Keto, so who knows if I will find something I like better. Another brand, one that I haven’t tried, is Sweet Leaf, but if I remember right, @carl mentioned the Sweet Leaf Stevia drops on one of the podcast episodes.

I tried Swerve for the first time tonight. It is now my favorite, but fairly expensive. I had been using Truvia, and it was “ok.” I’ve also used Stevia in the past.

(Adam L) #9

Have you tried Xylitol ? I like the taste of it too much, large crystals rather than a powder so may need special treatment or time to dissolve in some recipes. I’ve recently seen a Xylitol icing “sugar” powder might solve that issue, haven’t tried that yet.

(Patrick B.) #10

No, only Truvia this go around. I tried Stevia when I was doing CICO. I’m just going to go down the line until I find my sweetener… Xylitol is on my list since @Carl recommended it on the podcast, but Erythritol was going to be my next shot if the Sucrolose doesn’t work out.

(Roxanne) #11

I’m a fan of Swerve as well, and because I only use it for the occassional treat I don’t mind its expense…in fact, that helps control the number of treats I make, lol. Just as well, as I think it still interferes with my weight loss, so I don’t use it that often.

(jketoscribe) #12

I can detect the smallest bit of stevia in anything. It’s unrelentingly bitter, no matter the form to me.

I use pure erythritol or pure xylitol I try to use erythritol whenever possible because it’s the lowest in glycemic index and load (0). It is not absorbed by the body. But in certain foods it re-crystallizes, so that’s when I’ll use xylitol instead.

I try to use both sparingly and not eat anything sweetened most of the time.

Good point. I plan to use it sparingly as well. I used it in some keto hot chocolate last night and it was delish. I haven’t made any other sweet treats yet.

(Roxanne) #14

I used it over Christmas to make a low-carb version of Bailey’s Irish Cream, it was excellent!

(Becky) #15

OH my! I want some!

(Roxanne) #16

Very easy!

(Thomi M) #17

My daughter has a major allergic reaction to erythritol and any stevia mixed with it (most). If she ate enough of it she’d go into anaphylactic shock. One bite of sweetened yogurt had her throat closing. Just be aware it can happen!

(Nathanael Schulte) #18

Is the reaction to the the stevia or the erythritol or the mixture?

(Nathanael Schulte) #19

I’ve been using Swerve for a while and loving it. Just bought a different brand this week because of the extreme price difference. Gonna try it out with some baking this week.

http://amzn.to/2rhan3X

(Thomi M) #20

It was pure erythritol. Luckily she eats slowly so she noticed the reaction right away.