Some Things About Me

(Rebecca ) #1

Hello! I have read on this Forum since mid June, when I started a Ketogenic Diet…I have responded to several posts but have never written one myself.
I am a 58 year old female. I have dealt with autoimmunity since childhood…Celiac Disease, Hashimoto Thyroid Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, Breast Cancer…I don’t remember ever feeling good…I was always sickly and very thin…until my 30’s, after 2 pregnancies, the weight began to pile on (I am 5’2). Of course, I had no idea about nutrition, other than what the standard Pyramid told us. I was a sugar addict for sure. I drank regular Coke daily and ate milk chocolate non-stop. I took my poor children to McDonalds weekly as a “treat for them” when it was really for me. I fed them sugary cereals in the morning…they were really for me.
I joined Weight Watchers multiple times over the years…I lost and gained weight over and over. Something wasn’t right, but I didn’t know what it was. Every time I failed, I blamed myself. My weight got as high as 180 lbs.
I remember a book called Carbohydrates Addicts Diet. I read the book and took the quiz…I was a Severe Addict!! I began right away, and weight began to shed…however there was a glitch. For an hour each day you had your “Reward Meal”. You could eat whatever you wanted, but you had to finish within an hour…I would set the kitchen timer for an hour at my first bite, and eat for that solid hour…ice cream, chocolate, soda, chips…not a good thing for a SUGAR/CARBOHYDRATE ADDICT!!!
I stumbled upon the Ketogenic Diet when I watched The Magic Pill. I researched and read more before I decided to try it. It was June 15 2019. I sat and told my husband, in tears, that I had hit rock bottom…my thyroid was a mess, I was 178.8 lbs, my entire body hurt, but there was hope, I was going to try the Ketogenic Diet for 30 days.
To date, my body has melted off 30 lbs, I have gone from size 14 to size 8 jeans, large to medium tops, but even better is I feel fantastic!! My hair and skin are healthier, my body doesn’t hurt, my energy is high and my moods are so much better. The best effect though, is my thyroid disease is healing and my Dr is weaning me off of thyroid medication…he believes I will be off of it by the end of the year!! I feel like I have been at this long enough to finally share with you…after so many years of feeling like I was dying…I finally feel alive and thriving!!! Thanks for reading!!

(Piglets = Bacon Seedlings) #2

Congrats Rebecca! That is awesome news to hear and we are glad you shared your journey (even though it was a rough one at the start). Sound like you are on the right path now! Keep Calm and Keto On!

That is awesome!!!
Keep up the good work!

I seriously can’t believe anyone would think a one hour free-for-all would be a good idea for a person addicted to anything, though. Just goes to show there are some really strange ideas out there. Boggles the mind.

(Marianne) #4

Wow, what an inspiring story! My heart thrills for anyone who has lived a life of food addiction with all the pain associated with it (physical and mental), and who experiences the benefits that you have. I did, too, and have never felt better and more positive in my life. Keto has been such a blessing - and it hasn’t been difficult. I believe I was led to it instead of “finding it,” and I am thankful every day. Great community of people on this forum, too.

Congratulations to you!

(Jane) #5

Thanks for sharing you story. You are an inspiration to many!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

That Carb Addicts Diet is for the birds! Not just because of how many glazed doughnuts I’d be able to stuff myself with in an hour’s time, but also because once the hour was up I’d be well and truly launched on a massive binge. Sort of like telling an alcoholic it’s okay to drink whiskey for an hour—at that point, no self-respecting alcoholic is going to be able to stop!

I’m glad you found your way to these forums. Keep us up to date with your progress, please, and remember that we’re always here to help, whether that meas celebrating or trouble-shooting! :+1:

(Scott) #7

That diet sounds like a bad training for an endurance race. On race day run forward 55 minutes and then run the opposite direction for 5 minutes. This of course is to help you get to the finish line faster.

('Jackie P') #8

That is a very inspirational story and I am so happy that you are feeling so much better. Stories like this, however, are always tinged with sadness for me. How the hell is it that the information out there is so bad that people like you, and so many of us here, are left to discover this for ourselves. We are lucky. Many people will suffer to the end of their days in the belief that they have an incurable disease. Shocking!

(Susan) #9

This is absolutely fabulous, Rebecca =)). I am so very happy for you. I wish you all the best on your continued Keto Journey =)).

(Ken) #10

Congratulations on your progress. That.other nutty diet is proof anyone can write a diet book and push any crazy, unscientific concept they want. It might.as.well been called “The Jab Yourself in the Eye for an Hour each Day” diet.

(Rebecca ) #11

[quote=“240lbfatloss, post:10, topic:94982”]
The Jab Yourself in the Eye for an Hour each Day” diet.
[/quote

Yes, that was a crazy one for sure!

(Kim) #12

Congratulations, Rebecca! So glad you posted your keto journey! Your health history parallels my own. Wow! Five months and 30 lbs. down.

I have not yet lost that amount of weight. My goal for weight loss is first and foremost about health.

Could you share your daily eating plan? Did you IF?

When I first began keto, my thyroid tanked. I had my dose of NDT adjusted. And, onwards.

Because there are similarities between your health challenges and mine would really like to know how you approached keto day to day.

Thanks!

(Rebecca ) #13

I’d like to thank everyone for your kind words and encouragements! It’s so helpful to have a connection with people who “get it”!! Your own stories have inspired me so much!

Hello, Kim! I would be happy to share an average day with you! I began with 3 meals a day, but they were definitely Ketogenic Friendly and extremely Low Carb. I can’t say exactly when I transitioned to 2 meals a day (TMAD). I just started not needing breakfast…which was unheard of for me!! I always have 10 oz coffee with 1 T Heavy Cream (from grass fed cows) 2 t MCT Oil and 10 drops Stevia Extract (my personal choice…I know others don’t agree with them). I have this @ 7:00 am. I usually don’t eat a meal until @ 1-2…IF I am hungry!! If not, I don’t eat. I do make sure to drink mineral water during the time between coffee and eating. However, if I am not hungry, I don’t eat. That meal is usually eggs and bacon or meat, cheese & olives. Dinner is usually a protein ( beef, dark chicken, pork, etc) and broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts or greens,or a green salad with cheeses, olives, oil & vinegar. I always add fat to the veggies like sour cream and cheese. I make my own “Spiced Mexican Chocolate” (keto ingredients) so I have a square or 2 after dinner, then that is it for the day. I guess you could say I IF, but it was never planned, it just happened. There are even times when I only eat once a day(OMAD) just because I am not hungry. I do have a few Keto Friendly “treat” recipes that I use on occasion, but that’s what they are is “treats”. I can honestly say that for the first time in YEARS, my body is at peace. Foods used to be an obsession but now it is just fuel to keep me going!!! I also feel that the weight loss was a bonus to getting my health back!!! I hope all the best for you!

I meant to add that in the beginning I used an App to track carbohydrates only, until I got accustomed to the content in the foods I eat.

(Kim) #14

Thank you, Rebecca! I appreciate your thoughtful and detailed response! And, again kudos! Kim

It’s like “you can drink as much for 1 hour as you want” for alcoholics… Even without addiction, 1 hour is LONG. I often eat all my daily food in a shorter eating window… My food is dense. Ice cream and chocolate is denser than my average food. It’s easy to eat overly too much of them. This idea is very idiotic. It might be much better than eating those all day but still, if we do something, let’s do it well. I’m really not the one who keep themselves from sweets but ONE HOUR every day… And sugary sweets and chips… For an addict… FOR REWARD!
My poor mind, I can’t even write properly now. I never heard about such a thing before.

But it’s great you found your way in the end! :slight_smile: I’m happy for you. I was always healthy enough, it’s so very unfair to have those problems… I hope you feel even better than without those problems but staying on a horrible diet (I’m thankful for my stubborn excess fat to force me to find a better woe). And I hope your poor kids know better now too. Childhood habits are very hard to break sometimes, I know that very well.

Well Done, you!

(Deborah Reid) #17

Yaay! Well done you, Rebecca! I have a similar story - 24 years of debilitating Rheumatoid Arthritis. Been Keto and intermittent fasting since January this year and I believe I have finally conquered the inflammation. I wake up every day flexing my usual “pain points” - wrists, lower back, shoulders and wait for the usual agony, but it’s gone! Why did my doctors never tell me about the effect of carbohydrates and sugar on inflammation??

(Rebecca ) #18

Hello Deborah, and congratulations to you on ridding yourself of RA!
Sadly, I don’t think a lot of physicians know the connection of diet and inflammation…especially sugar and carbohydrates. I am blessed to have a Functional Doctor who fully supports me in this way of life!
I guess instead of mourning the past years we can rejoice in our healings and better health in the years ahead!!

(Deborah Reid) #19

Indeed! It’s so good to enjoy life in a thinner body and without constant pain. And without the drugs that caused me to gain all the weight!

Wow. Amazing, inspirational story. Well done Rebecca :two_hearts: