Some questions about Extended Fasts + HELP!

I’ll try to keep it as short as possible. I struggle with binge eating, always have. Keto definitely helps control this, but sometimes I go on a keto binge. This happened today. Ive been averaging 1300 cals a day, with 23:1 IF, and I try to work out 5 to 6 days a week (a workout either means light strength training, cardio with 400ish burned calories according to the elliptical, OR long walks (10k steps). Today, I binged on a good deal of meat, veggies and eggs. I probably ate 4000 calories in two meals.

Ive done fasts up to 60 hours long, although I usually stick to IF. Question: Could I simply fast as long as I can, kinda to balance out my calorie intake? My idea is that if I spent the next 2 days without eating, the calories eaten today would average my normal 1300 /day intake.

BUT, my stats are as follows: 5’7, 155 lbs, 24 years old, female. Im at 25% body fat. Doing this for the fat loss, hoping for a 10lb loss (have been doing keto for months, have lost plenty more before this)

This means, I can only pull out a certain amount of calories from body fat a day, right? SO if that amount is actually less than how much I need to “survive”, does that mean I can’t do an extended fast without supplementing with fat (which would technically break tge fast)?

Another option I thought of is to eat 1 very small meal a day the next 2 or 3 days, with the minimum amount of fat/protein I need to do this without killing my metabolism. I dont want to do an extended fast if its going to slow down my metabolism and therefore hinder fat loss!

So please, some good advice/information would be great. Is it, or is it not, a good idea for me to do an extended fast?

(Deb) #2

You sound like a clone of me, only 30 years younger! I am a keto binger also and I’ll tell you how I got down to 130 (and have stayed here).

I eat my last meal around 6 pm, which is usually a large salad with white meat chicken, shredded cheese, bacon bits, and blue cheese dressing. Sometimes fresh fish instead, or a steak. Whatever. The next day, it is coffee with half & half ( NOT heavy cream- when you’re this close to goal, you have to watch fat intake… but that’s a personal choice) and stevia, and bouillon until lunch. Lunch is a couple very salty celery sticks with a cheese stick.
Every few days, I “mini-binge” with a dark choc. mug cake, buttercream frosting and vanilla almond butter ( to DIE for combo!) If I do it every day, I will gain. Every other day, I’ll maintain.

I’ve learned EXACTLY how my body weight will respond to intake amounts of fats, carbs, and, protein through experimentation. That doesn’t mean I don’t occasionally “fall off the binge wagon” and go on a chocolate and almond butter party, but at least it’s not ice cream and Oreos!

You can find your “sweet spot”, so to speak, using the same method, if you choose. But you seem to be focused on calories too much, AND, trying to say this diplomatically, your huge meals one day then fasting, etc. is like you are trying to “have your cake and eat it too”. Like the person who eats a box of cookies then go to the gym and works out for 4 hours to make up for it or try to starve it off. Not a very healthy way of eating.
Of course, some say my way isn’t either, so who am I to judge, but just my opinion. I hope you find what works for you. And sorry if I hurt your feelings.