Some Answers To The "why Am I Not Losing Weight" Questions- Great article from Ketogains

(Deb) #21

I bought my Dr a book and gave it to him

(Erin Macfarland ) #22

@richard, just appreciating that you understand how to use logic properly to dismantle an argument :grinning:

(Richard Morris) #23

I suspect with your insulin dynamics you could calorie restrict and would draw more energy from body fat, and see less of a metabolic slowdown than someone with my insulin dynamics.

You could still have an outsized insulin response to dietary stimulus, and only testing your insulin under load (a Kraft test) would show that. But really the fact you can get it as low as 2 without stimulus makes that highly improbable (and kind of impressive like a car that can go from 0-60 in under a second).

But I suspect the problem is you appear to have have a (slightly) lower metabolic rate, and may have a low range. So itā€™s possible that while the rest of us can ramp our energy use up on demand (exercise, cold, infection, stimulants, adaptation to altitude, etc), yours might be just a little more conservative. If you ever find the answer to this puzzle the results could be as dramatic as a type 2 diabetic going low carbohydrate then suddenly finding that they can use the energy they have been storing for decades.

I have spent most of my time looking into the problems of my personal metabolism - so I am ignorant on the likely candidates in your case, but I would be looking into any diagnostic markers for the function of the organs involved (ie: thyroid, adrenals, hypothalamus, brown fat tissue) and essential nutrition that in deficit can affect their functioning (ie: B vitamins, Vitamin C, Iron).

People in the keto community may not necessarily be the most attuned to these kinds of issues, but I suspect a ketogenic diet may help at least rule out glucose and insulin dynamics as a cause.

Finally it appears that organisms with a lower metabolic rate appear to live longer than their cousins with a higher one ā€¦ so you might have that going for you :slight_smile:

(Kathy L) #24

Which book did you buy your doc?? ( there are so many)

(What The Fast?!) #25

Well thereā€™s one positive!! Itā€™s opposite in dogs - small dogs have a higher metabolic rate than large dogs, and the little guys tend to live much longer!

Iā€™m starting to realize that my problem may lie in my digestive system. Iā€™m only going to the loo 1-2 times a week, even with lots of magnesium, and it is NOT a pleasant experience. I think thatā€™s slowing my metabolism (or vice versa). Iā€™m looking for gastrointestinal doctor who knows a bit about keto already.

Youā€™ve been infinitely helpful Richard, seriously.

(Deb) #26

The Obesity Code

(Tiffany Jonas) #27

Hear, hear, Camomilla! Well said

(Tiffany Jonas) #28

This post is AWESOME. I am saving it to re-read at least a dozen times.

Not only have you clearly explained some things Iā€™ve been wondering about despite widely reading & learning about the ketogenic diet and lifestyle, you have encouraged me I am on the right keto track and just need to stay on it while my body adapts / recovers from years of calorie restriction that trained my body exactly the wrong way.

Thank you Richard!

P.S. To the original author of this thread: I was personally only able to get into genuine ketosis by lowering my protein intake a LOT - thanks to the help of the generous people on this forum. Now Iā€™m onto the next step.

(Deb) #29

I also had to reduce both protein AND fat, which shows that everybody IS different. I donā€™t believe that everyone is the same ā€œsnowflakeā€; regardless of what I post or what link I post, I donā€™t think (and maybe this is a bit naive!) that other ā€œgroupsā€, especially the bodybuilder sites, with the exception of Lyle Mcdonaldsā€™ Body Recomposition site (because I was there, and there are some REAL jerks there!), are ā€œanti-fatā€ and pro-protein, so much as they are doing what is right for THEIR body type and what they are trying to achieve, and using and passing along what they have learned. The same with what the Keto people here do, just like what Richard posted. What we have to do is sift through all the information, experiment with the macros percentages, and , in my case, I used a combination of the PSMF and daily IF, with daily vitamans/minerals. Maybe the IF has kept my metabolism up, maybe the period re-feasting (others call it refeeding- I think that makes it sound like I am a farm animal!) Somewhat like Lyle Mcdonaldā€™s Rapid Fat Loss Protocol, but less protein, and I donā€™t like him so weā€™ll just say it is based on the medical version of the PSMF! Whatever you call it, it works for me! And whatever else works for anyone else, is fantastic. Whether you got something from what I posted or the reverse, what Richard posted, that someone benefited is what is important.

(Tiffany Jonas) #30

@KetoLikeaLady - Regarding your digestive issue, have you tried konjac noodles? Theyā€™re also known as shirataki noodles - one brand name is Miracle Noodle. Theyā€™re not inexpensive but I find theyā€™re worth it, and if you like Asian food youā€™ll probably like these. The keto diet was hard on me this way too at first, but I found that eating these noodles acts against constipation and theyā€™re also a prebiotic. Theyā€™re very low-carb (almost zero) too. Youā€™d never guess it since the noodles are translucent, but theyā€™re made from the roots of a yam-like vegetable in Asia. I get them via Amazonā€™s Subscribe & Save program, and saute them with greens and butter or olive oil or walnut oil. If theyā€™re too pricey you can eat just half of a one-serving package and still get the health benefits.

Hereā€™s some extra info: https://authoritynutrition.com/shirataki-noodles-101/ and https://wellnessmama.com/121436/shirataki-noodles/

(Crow T. Robot) #31

Itā€™s not so unusual. I think it makes sense. Just my theory, but I think that eating extra high fat is good in the beginning as you need energy to assist the transition from being a sugar-burner to a fat-burner, and also saturated fat is needed in order to make hormones and heal the body. During that period most people lose weight from just restricting the carbs, but it tapers off. When that happens, and the person is fat adapted, reducing fat intake (but not too much) makes sense. Eat the right protein and insulin should stay low and body fat will be used to make up the difference without feeling like you are hungry all the time.

(What The Fast?!) #32

I have, I didnā€™t know they helped with digestion!!

(Deb) #33

It was great in the beginningā€¦I could have eaten bacon and eggs forr every meal!

(Jeanette) #34

Thanks for posting this. I didnā€™t lose weight until I followed these rules. I totally over did the fat which is easy for me to do because I love fatty foods more than sugary ones. Once I stopped overdoing fat and started eating a little more protein, I started losing weight but itā€™s still slow going for me. Iā€™m in menopause (52) and I am 5ā€™2 118 lbs. My ideal weight for my body type is 110.

(Diana) #35

Iā€™m new to the forum. Can someone help me understand the ā€˜fat as a leverā€™ concept. Iā€™ve tried researching this and I just donā€™t get it. I thought if you donā€™t eat enough fat you wonā€™t be in ketosis anymore. As a frame of reference. Iā€™m trying to use this diet to just lose the last 10 lbs (but of body fat not just water weight). Yes this is vain but we all have ways we want to improve ourselves. However my scale will just not budge and this week I have actually gained 4 lbs. Iā€™m showing Iā€™m in keto per blood monitor, Iā€™m eating about 1200 calories (Iā€™m 5ā€™5 and 119 lbs). So should I decrease plate fat? Wonā€™t that kick me out of ketosis. Thanks in advance I just donā€™t get the ā€œfat as leverā€ concept

Itā€™s the restrction of carbs that will put you into ketosis, but extra fat in the beginning can help encourage the body to use fat as a fuel.

You can start your own thread with questions but my guess is that youā€™re not going to get much support on here to reach 109 pounds at your height. This WOE is primarily about health, with weight loss (where appropriate, and to a healthy weight) being a side effect. There are some folks who naturally reach that level of leanness but I donā€™t think you can engineer it without risking a lowered metabolism.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

Fat is largely neutral in the diet. Whether we are in ketosis or not depends on our insulin level, and that depends on how much carbohydrate we eat. Fat has a minimal effect on the secretion of insulin by the pancreas, which is why it is recommended to replace calories formerly provided by carbohydrate with calories from fat. Fat also contains twice as many calories per gram as protein and carbohydrate (9/g vs. 4/g), so less of it is required to make up the same number of calories. Many people find fat uniquely satisfying, too, although others find protein to be more satiating.

But fat wonā€™t kick you out of ketosisā€”nor will protein, either, in the context of a low-carb diet. But the key is context. A high-carb diet causes the body to behave differently from how it behaves when carb intake is low.

Not enough fat, if it also means not enough calories, wonā€™t kick us out of ketosis, but lack of energy causes the body to hang on to its fat store, even in a low-carb context.

(mole person) #38

What was said above. You only need to eat enough fat to feel satisfied.

Those last ten pounds can be really tough even with keto. I lost about 10 pounds of fat from 132 using basic keto but to get the rest of the fat loss I was after took additional tweaks. However, being keto made adding those tweaks easy peasy and got me to my current weight of 107 at 5ā€™5.

(Bunny) #39

This is really fascinating stuff:

ā€ā€¦so your body determines if it will get energy from body fat, or it will make you hungrier so you add fat[3] to your plate. ā€¦ā€

Right where you state ā€œbodyā€ sounds like your referring to leptin signaling[2] and ā€itā€ referring to ghrelin signaling which I think is key; high T3 levels? Then that indicates leptin resistants[1] (not feeling truly satiated) and why we stall (or partially the reason?) when trying to burn body fat?

Notes:

[1] ā€ā€¦Leptin Resistance. Most people who are of healthy weight will have a leptin level that is less than 10. Hypothyroidism and diabetes are the two most common medical conditions associated with high levels of leptin and with another condition described as leptin resistance. ā€¦ā€ ā€¦More

[2] ā€œā€¦Patients with common obesity have an elevation of leptin up to 10 times that of normal individuals and in proportion to their weight fat. ā€¦ā€ ā€¦More

[3] ā€ā€¦I started questioning why half the patients coming into my emergency room with heart attacks had normal cholesterol levels. ā€¦ā€ ā€ā€¦Itā€™s not cholesterol that causes heart disease, itā€™s inflammation. So to prevent heart disease (as well as many other progressive diseases), itā€™s inflammation that you have to go after. ā€¦ā€ ā€¦More

(Diana) #40

What were the final tweaks you applied?