Sodium, potassium, magnesium ... and calcium?

(Doing a Protein Sparing Modified Fast) #1

I have just started an extended fast (ideally 5 days, let us see if I can make it), water only, plus coffee and tea, plus minerals.

When I was losing weight, my doctor recommended me some minerals, including magnesium, sodium and calcium (but no potassium).

Now, I read some recommendations for extended fast, and I see that usually magnesium and salt (sodium) are recommended always, and potassium sometimes. But I never see calcium discussed.

I have salt and potassium-salt at home, and also good quality magnesium (several sources of magnesium). Am I set up with these? Or should I have some calcium, too?

Wouldn’t worry about it. I’ve never once supplemented calcium and used to always do long multi day fasts, my calcium levels were always good when tested. Doctors have some serious issues with understanding Potassium it seems.

(Squiggler) #3

If you are feeling faint/dizzy, especially when getting up in the morning, or from the sofa/sitting position, then from what I have read & seen, electrolyte supplements may well help. Otherwise, you may not need them.

I have also heard doctors recommend a B-complex vitamin supplement while fasting.
I have been getting faint/dizzy recently (and in the past) and have fallen down in the past too. So I have recently added an electrolyte supplement, B-Vitamin supplement, sea salt and Vitamin D3.

Dr Eric Berg has some useful information in his fasting videos on YT.

If you are mineral deficient before fasting, this may show up when you start re-feeding as Re-feeding syndrome, which in the worst case scenario leads to death.
If you can get a blood test done to show your mineral levels, that would be a good idea.

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #4

Calcium is iffy. There are reports of brittle bones, where the body will take calcium from the bones to keep the blood level up. That is, calcium levels in the blood would drop only if you’re critically deficient in other places.

OTOH, my personal theory is that calcium is mainly depleted by oxalates. If you stick to low-oxalate keto (no almonds, chocolate etc.) or carnivore, your calcium levels should be fine even with extended fasts. If no oxalates come in, no calcium is used up.

I go with home made bone broth, some essential amino acids, magnesium citrate and potassium citrate for my fasts. Plus some vitamins.