Sodium amount for keto

(Chris) #1

Ok so my blood tests came back and sodium and potassium are great. I am currently taking between 2000-3000mg of sodium per day and the same potassium possibly a little higher. No headaches no dehydration. Since my blood tests are good is this enough? I keep hearing 4000-5000mg of sodium. Can bloodtedts register good amounts but I still need more?

Need for sodium and potassium can increase if you training or not, depends on the activity. How much you are sweating also can change that “perfect” value. So answer to your question would be yes since there is no ideal value for that. Are you doing any kind of sports regularly?

(Carl Keller) #3

It depends on what “good amounts” are defined as. The current FDA recommendation is 2300 mg of sodium (slighter under 6 grams of table salt) and the AHA says 1500 mg is ideal, but several studies have found that optimal levels are much higher:

Based on a study of over 100k people across 17 countries, “an estimated sodium intake between 3 g per day and 6 g per day was associated with a lower risk of death and cardiovascular events than either a higher or lower estimated level of sodium intake.” Another study looked at ~275k people and found that between 2,645mg and 4,945mg of sodium per day was the optimal range.

If you consider that people on LCHF excrete sodium much faster due to lower insulin levels, the higher end of those recommendations is probably ideal. Two teaspoons of salt (12 grams) is the same as 4650 mg of sodium or 4.6 grams.

(Chris) #4

I do construction that’s about it. I’m going to be exercising here soon.

(Chris) #5

So even without negative symptoms I should take more? Also how? I drink salt water all day lol

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

2-3 teaspoons of salt per day will cover you. Your kidneys regulate the amount of salt in your blood. So if you’re overconsuming healthy kidneys will keep levels in a stable amount towards the lower end of the acceptable range. I have been on dialysis in the past and unless you have impaired kidney function it’s hard to overdose on sodium. As a construction worker I am going to assume that you sweat a good amount on the job so I would be taking salt towards the higher recommended amount of 15g. or one tablespoon daily. Be careful about over consumption of potassium salt. I think 1/4 teaspoon is the recommended limit daily. Overconsumption can lead to hyperkalimia. You should be getting a fair amount from foods. :cowboy_hat_face:

If your levels are good there’s no (need) to have more, but being in a predetermined range, vs optimum aren’t the same thing. You may find that you feel way better with your intake higher, maybe not. We know that if we were beating animals over the head and eating them on the spot between the organs and blood we’d ingest our sodium levels would be considerably higher than what our current range is. Many people find they feel much better with higher intake. If you don’t it’s your call. Gotta find what works best for you. I definately notice the difference in the gym when my salt is consistently higher vs when it’s not.

(Chris) #8

Sp I read potassium sodium ratio should be 4:1. Sp my ketoade is 1/2tsp potassium 1/2 tsp of pink Himalayan. So I need to drink more than that? That’s a ton kf salt haha

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

There’s a balance that occurs with adequate sodium, magnesium and potassium levels are naturally balanced in the blood by correct amounts of sodium. Here’s a recipe for keto aid, maybe drink this at work as your water.

You can mix the electrolyte salts and get a proper mixture in your diet. You don’t have to drink it all, you can use the salt mixture in cooking too.

:cowboy_hat_face: