So hungry/dizzy/hangry

(Tamara Bell) #18

as of today, with dinner that I will be eating but haven’t yet. I’ve consumed 21g carbs, 4g fiber, 101g fat, 70g protein, 1276 calories. So hungry

(Running from stupidity) #19

There’s a correlation here.

(Tamara Bell) #20

okay so what is it? Is this normal? If so why do people do this when you feel miserable? If not what am I doing wrong?

(Running from stupidity) #21

Not eating enough.

(Tamara Bell) #22

dunno what else to eat. Nothing looks good, I had to force myself to eat the very unappetizing tuna fish with mayo and pickles.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #23

I remember how crappy I felt the first week. Many of us understand. I found it hard to differentiate between craving carbs, hunger, thirst, wanting caffeine, etc. Hang in there and know you aren’t alone. Be sure to keep your electrolytes in check, for sure. There’s a recipe for ketoaid which will help your body adjust and probably help you feel much better.

What proteins are you willing to eat. I’ve seen tuna. What else?

(Jane) #25

I could be reading things into your posts that aren’t there…

But if you are doing this to support your husband and not for yourself then there is no advice on this forum that will stop you from disliking this way of eating.

It isn’t easy getting started and if you don’t have personal motivation like reversing type 2 diabetes or wanting to be able to tie your shoes and breathe at the same time I can see where it would be very hard to get past the carb withdrawals.

It gets a lot easier but it takes weeks, not days. And I did Atkins in the 70’s (and every decade since) and this is sustainable for me. Atkins wasn’t.

(Cary) #26

In think you have a misconception of what a true keto lifestyle, not diet is. I’d advise reading a couple books like Keto Clarity or the Obesity Code to get a better understanding. Also it sounds like you’re really limiting yourself as to why you’re eating. There’s 1000’s of Keto recipes out there. Try searching Keto recipes on Pinterest. I’ve been Keto for 3 months and have lost 51 lbs and am never hungry nor have I suffered any of the symptoms you’re having. Once you get fat adapted your hunger should go away. Stick with it and listen to the great people on this forum and they will help you out. Once you figure it out it’s really easy. Good luck.

(Lauren) #27

I can understand the way you feel. I too, have never lasted longer than a week on a low carb diet (I just posted about it here last week!). Today I’m on day 2 and full but also can’t imagine eating anything for dinner, because everything low carb sounds revolting. But I’m going to make it through today. I’m just taking it one day at a time. Today’s goal is “see how you feel tomorrow.”

I don’t have any advice, only that I can sympathize with how you’re feeling! You’re hungry but nauseous. I get it.

After reading this, :point_up: I just wanted to ask what particular types of foods are you speaking about, that you find revolting? … Just curious, because most Keto-Friendly foods, are just that, foods. Most are included in meals that folks not doing Keto eat? Meaning SAD diets. … For instance, if you check out the thread ‘What did you Keto today? Part Deux!’ which can be found via the link I posted above earlier, you will see all sorts of great food dishes you can try. Again, most of these, are simply regular dishes without some sugary stuff added.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #29

Yes, regular foods - meat, eggs, seafood, veggies, salads, some dairy, nuts, if you can enjoy without going overboard, etc. Keto is the exclusion of starches, grains and sugar (and some fruits and veggies.) You can eat like a totally normal person, and even go out to eat without too much trouble. Fresh food, found on the perimeter of the supermarket!

(Aspen Anderson) #30

What about a Caesar Salad? Good fats in the dressing - ideally you will find/use one without soybean oil, but I don’t let that stop me if I can’t. You can add chicken or salmon for protein. It seems like a “light” meal, but you’re getting a lot of what you “need” for Keto. Just an idea.

(Lauren) #31

All meat sounds pretty bad to me at the moment. And eggs currently make me want to gag. I could probably eat some bacon for dinner. Or I’m thinking chicken “nuggets” with almond flour. Those would be tolerable. I’ve already had, like, 4 slices of cheese today. lol.

That’s cool, sounds like you don’t like meats in general, which makes sense. And so you know, I wasn’t trying to pick out anything, was just wondering is all. … But Regina said it very well, it’s all about finding what you like, but there is a lot out there. When I first started, I was wondering how limited it would be, but have found it’s really not limited much at all. … You will find you have to make most meals from scratch too, but this can also be quite rewarding as well. Plus, not only will you know what’s all in it, you can tweak it to meet you desires.

Again, I highly recommend the What did you Keto today, thread. It has a lot of good ideas in it. … Good luck!

(John) #33

You do seem to be eating the weird food combos just to fit dietary patterns you aren’t used to. I did that same kind of stuff. Mmmm… anchovies and macadamia nuts. Yech.

Also - screw some phone app telling you what to eat. You can play with that stuff when you are 6 weeks in.

Here’s what a “keto” daily meal plan looks like:
Breakfast:
Two eggs, scrambled with sauteed spinach, diced mushrooms, and swiss cheese
Two slices of bacon
Coffee, black, or with 1 TEAspoon of cream.

Lunch: Tuna salad made with 1 can of skipjack tuna, 1/4 cup chopped celery, chopped hard boiled egg, full fat mayonnaise. Medium salad made with lettuce, one finely sliced radish, some full fat bleu cheese dressing, with about 1/2 oz parmesan cheese. 1 oz of walnuts as a side/snack or on the salad.

Dinner: Two chicken thighs, broiled or pan-cooked, with or without skin. OR 6-to-8 oz beef (steak or hamburger). OR 6-8 oz grilled or pan seared salmon. Steamed broccoli with butter. Another medium salad with a few cherry tomatoes, some olive oil and vinegar dressing. More grated cheese, or perhaps a few lumps of ricotta or mozzarella cheese.

That should get you through a day without starving.

Hey Young Lady! We are normal… most of the time! :crazy_face: … Well, maybe not @juice :smile:

(Running from stupidity) #35

I wish I had a rebuttal of some value :slight_smile:

(John) #36

I used golden flaxseed meal as a breading for fried chicken thighs. Beat one egg, dip the thighs in the egg, then dredge through the flaxseed meal.

I actually used: flaxseed meal, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and chia seeds for the “breading”. Fry in avocado oil in a cast iron skillet. Amazing flavor, and the chia added little crunch.

Oh, I’m sure ya do! :slight_smile: … And if they need any info on Sous Vide, you would be the guy they should talk to! :Sous-Vide: emoji :slight_smile: