So confused after 4 days

(Joey) #121

@shellsown1 @Rclause I like the first part of what Scott is saying a lot … it’s not complicated! Simply restrict carbs - that is, eat NO bread, cereal, rice, potato, etc. Then there’s no need to worry about trace amounts of carbs from those green leafy veggies. Salads are healthy, filling and nutritious - and a large “Cobb” style salad with meat, cheese & hard-boiled egg makes a delicious dinner. Just use a very low-carb dressing, or oil/vinegar.

The thing that really confused me from your post above is the comment about adding “15g of wine”? Really? Does that refer to 15g of carbs in wine, as in a dry red wine? If so, that’s equivalent to drinking about 4 full glasses a day … i.e., an entire 750ml bottle of wine? Perhaps you mean something else by 15g of wine, because if not, you’re not doing yourself (or your keto eating) any favors.

(shelley) #122

I am definitely bloated, any suggestions?

(Scott) #123

I think 15g of red wine is about three glasses or a half bottle. maybe it is closer to 4g but I tend to guess high. My keto is fine and lost 25 pounds and I am 3 pounds from ideal weight. My carb limit is about 50g a day. I run a lot and lift so I can get away with a few more carbs.

(Karla Sykes) #124

I don’t eat sugar but some modifications of sugar I use like the sugar substitute. I tried Stevia substitute and it did not agree with my body I have a headache. I will try to Swerve but I have them yet after that whole Stevia incident I stayed away from sugar substitutes. I had a major headache on stevia

Hey Shelley, this was in my email this morning from Diet Doctor. It has some good suggestions for meals made in under 20 minutes and if you scroll down it lists under 15 and under 10 minute meals, too.

Thought I’d share to maybe inspire some ideas for meals that work for you.

Quick keto meals in 20 minutes or less

(Karla Sykes) #126

I’m going to look at this video to It’s very resourceful and useful

(shelley) #127

Clearly this is not for me, or I am daft and don’t get it. 2nd time attempting Keto and 2nd time gaining instead (gained 2.5 pounds) in the first week.

I give up!!!

Shelley, are you using a food tracker? (Lifesum, Cronometer, Carb Manager are a few popular mobile apps for Keto-ers.) Tracking is helpful in the beginning to help learn where all those hidden carbs are. (Disclaimer: I still consider myself a newbie but have learned that lesson.)

Before you quit, if you do track, go ahead and post the last few days so we can take a look. If you don’t track, then start tracking every thing you eat and drink. You posted a short summary of what you eat but even turkey, if honey roasted or glazed, can have too many carbs.

It can be confusing and discouraging but my guess is you just need to dial in more on exactly what you’re eating and come up with a Keto plan that fits your life.

(Joey) #129

Congratulations … Sounds like you’re doing great on keto and it’s working for you!

Perhaps the delta between our math regarding red wine carbs stems from the size of our glasses :wink:

My understanding is that a full bottle (750ml) of red wine is typically about 19-20g of carbs. So, yes, your overall figure seems right. And regardless of goblet size, 15g would then come to roughly 3/4 of a bottle, since there are typically 4 glasses per bottle depending on how generous the sommelier’s pour is.

I’ve found that, whereas I used to drink about 1/2 to 3/4 of a bottle of red wine with & after dinner nightly, since I’ve gone keto, a single rounded glass of about 6 fl ounces is plenty. This works out to about 4g of carbs of a dry red. Which is what got me wondering when I spotted your 15g/day of wine and concluded that was approaching a full bottle.

Anyhow, I lift my glass to you - cheers! :wine_glass:

(shelley) #130

I do track, not sure how to share that

Take a screenshot(s) and upload the photo.
Or type in what you ate, the weights/serving size, and the nutrition breakdown.

(Ellen ) #132

This site is so good for me to keep. Thank you!

I know! Me, too. I don’t always make the recipes as written but it’s full of ideas.

If you have a smartphone, they have a mobile app that really lets you find recipes/meals by just about any word, ingredient or filter. It’s my favorite part:

(shelley) #134

Here you go

(shelley) #135

Breakfast

You seem to be putting several different dairy items in the coffee. The traditional BPC would be some butter or heavy cream with some MCT oil.

I would definitely ditch the butter blend and use pure butter. The blend you listed has Canola oil in it - it’s not viewed as a great fat to use.

Forgive me if you already answered this but what’s your starting weight - I’m just curious where you are starting from.

(BuckRimfire) #137

Four to six, in my experience. Maybe seven at some particularly stingy restaurants. >:^(

I’m aiming at 4.5 at home tonight! I’m gonna have to cut down…but my KetoMojo usually shows 0.7 to 1.1, so it’s working for me. Barely.

(Joey) #138

I guess I’m fortunate in that my ketosis isn’t in any way at risk given my alcohol intake. But regardless, I do wind up feeling “less good” the next day if I go much beyond one glass of wine, perhaps adding a shot of tequila/salt with a stuffed olive or two - which I still greatly enjoy.

So I don’t know if it’s really the carbs per se, or it’s just that the alcohol gets metabolized as a priority before whatever else I’ve eaten (fat + protein)? I get far more buzzed with a lot less alcohol than I ever did before.

What’s clear is that keto has made me far more sensitive to alcohol than I used to be (which is actually a good thing). Now I feel mellowed, relaxed and satisfied with what, by my old standards, would have barely served as a prelude to a night of more serious drinking.

Instead, keto has put me in the place of drinking very little and enjoying it just as much, if not more. No doubt this is better for my liver and brain … so, again, no complaints here. I’m also saving a TON by making far fewer trips to the liquor store. Keto saves. :wink:

(BuckRimfire) #139

A lot of people here report a reduced tolerance for alcohol, but I haven’t noticed it myself. I can have three or four drinks and feel no different than I did a couple of years ago after the same indulgence. Not sure what to make of that…

(mole person) #140

This is not a diet that functions primarily via calorie restriction but rather via metabolic adaptation to fat as a fuel followed by hunger regulation. Only after that do you get body fat losses.

The adaptation period is usually 4-6 weeks. The rapid weight losses some people see is nearly all water weight that comes off suddenly when they drop carbohydrates. But you were already low carb prior to going keto and cannot expect much water losses if any. So right now you are in the adaptation phase.

It’s perfectly normal not to lose any fat in the first month on this diet as your metabolism and hormones adjust. The reason for this is that your body is not yet at all efficient at fat burning and you get hungry easily. As you fat adapt you will become less hungry and will easily be able to eat less. You can force yourself to lose weight earlier by adding some time restricted eating or short fasts, for example, but you will likely be hungrier than you prefer until the adaptation is further along. So whether you go this route is up to you and depends on what sort of a hurry you are in.

My recommendations based on your food choices are the following:

1. Get rid of that protein shake. It’s only taking your protein far over your macro. I don’t lose fat if my protein is in the 80 gram average range and I’m 5’5.

2. As soon as you can tolerate it drop the fatty coffee too. Consider making lunch your first meal. Preferably have no calories at breakfast at all.

You need to lower your insulin to lose fat. This is done in two main ways. The first is by controlling the amount of insulin stimulating foods that you eat. Carbohydrates are the biggest source, but dairy and protein have significant insulinogenic effects too and should not be overconsumed especially if you feel you are stalled. Second, increase the duration of your long fast (dinner to sometime the next day) to allow your insulin to drop as much as possible. The lower it goes the more you burn your own body fat.

Now, you are not in a stall at this point. You are in the adaptation phase. If you are patient you can wait for your hunger to naturally drop before even thinking about such adjustments. But if you are in a hurry and don’t care that you might initially feel hungry in the mornings then go ahead and drop the breakfast. The loss of hunger adaptation will still come in a few weeks either way.

And do not calorie restrict at all at your main meals. Eat until you are well satisfied. And make sure your meals all have both both protein and plenty of fat from real foods. It’s this combination that will keep you satiated for the longest post meal period.

Good luck. I hope this helps.