So.... Can i have a drink or 2?

Just started, as I mentioned my previous post. Am I able to have a drink or 2 of whiskey? Any opinions? stall weight loss at all?

Thanks

(Allan L) #2

Yes you can have pure spirits. Many people drink on this WOE with no problems.

For others it slows down the process and they prefer not to drink.

I always recommend abstaining for the first week or 2, allowing you to get deep into ketosis as quickly as possible.

When you drink your liver stops all other processes and filters out the alcohol and only once its all gone will it return to producing ketones to fuel your body.

No fuel = hunger = longer for cells to adapt to using ketones etc.

Your choice.

(Chris) #3

You can, wonā€™t kill you, like the guy before me said. I wouldnā€™t personally but thatā€™s me.

(Rob) #4

^^^ what they said ^^^

Once youā€™re well on your way in a couple of months time, re-introduce alcohol via spirits. You can still have the odd beer, but for me it just isnā€™t worth the carbs.

This should give you an idea of what experienced Keto people drink nowā€¦

(Rob) #5

changed category to Food / Alcohol.

(Steve ricci ) #6

I have s couple whiskey and diet coke once a week, does not hinder anything with me. Still dropped 3.5 lb overnight

(Renee Slaughter) #7

I have wine 2x weekly corresponds with my feast days. Still losing here. At least last month.

Just donā€™t operate heavy machinery or drive on the roads. Keto truly reduces the bodies tolerance towards alcohol.

Very easy to be a cheap date.

Keigan is correct on this point, be careful! I metabolized alcohol really quickly (was a very cheap date) before keto. Once fat adapted that only got faster - super drunk, super quick. I drink where I can crash - at home.
Otherwise, your carb tolerance will determine if you can drink beer or wine as those have carbs. Whiskey and other distilled alcohol have no carbs.

Bourbon.

if youā€™re serious about losing body fat/benefiting from ketosis you should consider abstaining from drinking alcohol. it is 100% counterproductive. tons of people do everything right but insist on drinking spirits every night and wonder why they ā€œstallā€ at 80 pounds down but still need to lose 50 or more pounds.

alcohol is a poison. if you simply must alter your mindstate consider switching to or just going with marijuana. in the vaporized form it has zero health/metabolism repercussions.

Thatā€™s a different point of view! Interesting, although I have not done any reading on marijuana and Iā€™ll probably not get into that. With drinking, yes youā€™re right there can be devastating consequences. On the other hand, Iā€™m not proposing one drink every day, I certainly donā€™t.
What I do recall on marijuana is all of the talk about the ā€œmunchiesā€. I think either one could set me up for carb disasters.

(Mark Kenyon II) #13

One guy said, ā€˜Beer is liquid breadā€™. Itā€™s usually high carbs.

A drink a nightā€¦ could be tough for anybody, but could stall you. However, A drink once or twice a week shouldnā€™t be that bad. But seems to depend on your body and your goals.

(Steve) #14

I was just going to comment that your liver turns alcohol into sugar, so isnā€™t that the same as carbs? - but turns out that isnā€™t true - it gets turned into fat.

Great article on all of it here:
https://cuencahighlife.com/busted-myths-about-alcohol-part-1-alcolhol-turns-to-sugar-and-hangover-cures/

Bourbon.

(Steve ricci ) #16

I do every Friday with diet coke. Does not effect anything, no water wight or anything. I have about 6 drinks. Enjoy

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #17

This thread is a general relief to me. Iā€™m certainly not a nightly drinker, but Fridays and Saturdays I like to knock back a few. One drawback for me personally is that I like to brew my own beer at home. Homebrew is by nature somewhat heavier and higher carb than most store bought beer. It is possible to calculate the carb content though, so I should be able to imbibe a limited amount of it at times. Looks like Iā€™ll mostly be taking in distilled spirits on weekends from here on though.

(Steve ricci ) #18

I do, whiskey and diet coke, no ill effect , does not effect weight loss for me.

does anyone know the long term effects of fine glycerin and or propylene glycol being vaporized into your lungs