So angry with myself!

(Ellen) #1

Was sat in car reading a story on phone, but obviously hadn’t read the trigger warnings properly, and got to a scene that really hit me, enough that I felt physically sick & dirty, so what did I do, go into the shop (I was in the car park anyway) and buy a big bag of crisps, ate most of them but now feel bad, on top of still feeling itchy & dirty. So angry, if I’d just read the t/w bit properly I’d be fine and not broken my long keto streak.
I know it’s just a matter of KCKO but still mad, although on the plus side the crisps really didn’t taste as nice as they used to.

(Pete A) #2

I hate when that happens, hope you’re not too hard on yourself, and Keto on…

(Karen) #3

Being lonely was when I went for comfort food. All my children grew up, left home, got busy. Some made life choices that saddened me. Looks like you bumped in to an old trigger. U-turn and back on the path. Early correction is key. Don’t fret. It’s a journey, with missteps.

K

(John B) #4

That happened to me the other day. At my job we have vendors coming in constantly to have us try various types of food products (we work in food distribution). On one day we had food brought in for a board meeting, and two vendors bring in huge pretzels and bread products. I figured I’d have one small cupcake…then two…then a pretzel…or two. it was a bad carb day for me. But, that happens every now and then, just don’t beat yourself up, and get back on track!

Similar here now and then. Getting back on horse and KCKO!

(Liz ) #6

Ugh that sounds like it felt awful, sending hugs! Hope the bad feelings pass quickly and you get your balance back to where you like it.

(Zoe ) #7

That sounds like a really big trigger. I find that practicing self compassion for myself really helps with these sorts of situations. The trigger sound to me like it is significant. Give your self the kindness to say that it is ok in this context and it was something other than chips that happened.

This is were KCKO- keep calm and keto on can be so important. Be kind to yourself and comfort yourself like a friend might and with kind things others say in this thread. Being angry on top of it can make it so much worse than it is. You know how to eat keto- you can get back on.

Also it would seem worth it to look into some help with the things behind the triggers- I have found the work of Brene Brown really helpful.
This is a link to some of her videos on the internet.
http://ofkin.com/wiseness-brene-brown-across-internet/
If you have the resources finding a professional to talk things through, good books or videos can help. Self compassion is a big key to the bigger puzzle.

The last think is to consider if you happen to be triggered again is to develop an IF… Then… approach . Like IF I am triggered and want to eat a bag of crisps, THEN I will call a friend, get a massage, go for a really long walk (does not need to be all just what works for you) and if I want I will eat, I will eat almonds (insert keto food of choice.) Your trigger probably resulted in a massive stress flight/ flight response in you and one of the responses of the body makes is looking for a sources of fuel. So either way factor some food into the equation.

(Ellen) #8

Thanks Liz, yeah wasn’t great but back on track now.

(Ellen) #9

Thanks Zoe, yeah big trigger, have worked through it during therapy and was getting better, not sure why such a visceral reaction this. All good ideas, thank you. KCKO.

(Zoe ) #10

Thinking of you Ellen. Our bodies sometimes surprise us but they have our backs. It has really helped me to move to a place where I trust my body is saying something and helping me out and not thinking it is trying to do me in (emotions included) and no I don’t always get there.

(Liz) #11

Sending you a big virtual hug, please be gentle with yourself, it was obviously an upsetting trigger but you have recognised it and are not letting it pull you back into a destructive pattern of eating…that means you are so much stronger than you perhaps realise.
There are many here who have done the same, me included, take heart, we are here for you :kissing_heart:

GOOD! If you made excuses for it THAT’S when it’s a problem. Feeling that bad about it means your mind hasn’t sold you out, your not off the wagon, and it was just a stupid decision. It happens!

(Ellen) #14

Thanks all for the love & support, you guys rock!

(Zoe ) #15

How has the rest of the week been?

(Ellen) #16

It’s been fine thanks Zoe, back on track and not beating myself up any morr.