Snacking During Eating Window

(442bc048fcbe506784b2) #1

I have been doing 18:6 fasting,eating at noon and 6pm.A lot of info i read,says no snacking during the eating window.How true is this and why does it matter so long as you are eating within your window and keeping within your macros.I find it really hard to eat only 2 extremely large meals and get in all my calorie/macro requirements in those 2 meals.
By snack i mean,maybe a fat bomb,pecans or an avocado or just a sugar free keto snack

(matt ) #2

I consider my entire window (18:6 or 20:4) as an OK time to eat (meal or snack). I am with you that I don’t like giant meals so the snacks help get the calories and not feel stuffed.

(Joe) #3

I see no issue. I typically eat dinner train come home grab nuts shower then wat another smaller meal.

I’m also trying to work this out. If I eat my first meal at noon or 1, it can be extremely difficult to wait till 6 or 7 for another meal. We either can ‘eat when we are hungry and stop when satiated’, or eat by the clock… Well, I gave up eating to a clock years ago, and am not going back, but I also want the benefits of Intermittent fasting.

(Troy) #5

Just do both😄
Mixed it up
I end up doing that ( Not planned )

It’s funny how this WOE plays out
When trying for one of the above, well the other one just happens
And vice versa😂

Good Luck

(Candice) #6

Snacking caused my plateau.

In a situation where I couldn’t snack for five months, I was losing more consistently.

(Jay AM) #7

The idea is reducing insulin spikes by less frequently eating. That’s all it’s about when people say you shouldn’t snack. But, snacking was fair game in my eating window too. Though, I’m less by a clock and more eating when hungry now.

(Liz ) #8

No snacking is such an important part of my Keto success. Megan Ramos of IDM recommends eating all your food within 90 minutes when you sit down to eat. I try to stick with that to keep my insulin from spiking more than the one to two times I eat per day. IMO if I’m hungry between meals I didn’t eat enough at the previous meal. If I feel like snacking I instead eat a full meal at whatever time that happens to be. Insulin control is the whole point of Keto & meal timing is a big part of that.

(Diane) #9

If I’m hungry, but can’t or don’t want to eat for a few more hours, I snack on fat. A tablespoon of MCT or coconut oil (and wouldn’t that freak out my non Keto friends if they knew!), or some cream cheese. Or, more rarely, some macadamia nuts or olives.

I am retired and home all day. I rendered bacon today and started eating at about 8:30 and snacked all day until dinner. I often eat when I am bored.

I am trying to not eat when bored. I am definitely not hungry. Any tips for sorting me out?

By the way, bacon is great with kefir cheese.

(Liz ) #11

Eating for emotional reasons rather than hunger is a real thing and a struggle a lot of us have to work on. I had to break the habit which took conscious effort for many days/weeks but after that it got easier.

I noticed when I wanted to eat for reasons other than hunger, acknowledged I had a need, and I tried to fulfil that need in a non food related way. For example, I sewed, crocheted, read, wrote to friends, took a bath, listened to music.

Helping someone else or reaching out in a friendly way to someone is actually the most satisfying thing I’ve done to self-comfort. You will have to experiment to find what works best for you while you retrain your instincts.

Also instead of snacking I’ll put a few pieces of pink salt in my mouth & sometimes that’s all I really needed.

After all these months I no longer turn to food for entertainment/comfort so it can be done!