Smokers - charcoal vs electric?

(Michele Wilson) #1

I am ready to buy a smoker! I’ve done a little bit of research on the different types, but now I am torn between electric or charcoal. I understand that the charcoal is more labor intensive but also allows for more variety? Does anyone have experience with one or both kinds? I’m trying to figure out if the extra work required by the charcoal smoker is worth the result. Thanks!

(paul ) #2

I have them all. For ease I enjoy electric. I really enjoy pellet. Wood is good but a lot more work to maintain temp.

(matt ) #3

I have 2 electric ones and I love them They are easy to use and maintain and the results are really solid.

(Chris Bair) #4

Electric are indeed way easier to use, Personally, I got one that’s propane fired so I can continue smoking meat during a zombie apocalypse. It does blow out if it’s really windy and I had to get a “needle valve” so I could have finer control of the heat. Mostly I use mine now to do a quick smoke to finish off stuff I’ve cooked via sous vide.

(Michele Wilson) #5

Wait, why do you have two?

(Michele Wilson) #6

How much work is it to maintain the temp of the pellet one?

(Ren) #7

I am an avid bbqer and have cooked on electric, pellet fed, charcoal, and wood.

Wood fed smokers/stickburners - These put out the best flavor bbq hands out. However they take a lot of work because you have to feed a wood split ever 30mins-1hour depending on how efficient they are. If you want to put out the best bbq you can, you also have to maintain a proper wood pile. This takes a lot of work splitting the wood and takes up quite a bit of room.

Electric smokers - These are great for conveniences, however I feel the smoke flavor is lacking, or you get a dirty tasting smoke flavor. Also most electric smokers don’t get above 250 degrees so cooking “Hot and Fast” isn’t an option.

Pellet Fed smokers - These are great convenient smokers but the smoker flavor is light compared to other smokers. Very much a set it and forget it. But they do tend to cost more money per cooking space than other smokers.

Charcoal smokers - These can range from ones that you have to tend too regularly to set it and forget it. I cook on charcoal smokers mainly now a days. You get a great smoke flavor, and you can dial it into a temperature and it will go for hours with no issues. I highly recommend these for anybody that is new to smoking/bbq. The cost of the smokers are very affordable as well. Charcoal is cheap and you only need wood chunks which you can buy at any hardware store.

The charcoal smokers these are the ones that I recommend to people getting started.

Weber Smokey Mountain - These range in 3 sizes from 14.5in, 18.5in, and 22.5inches. Most homes can use a 14.5in to 18.5in without any issue for space. Once you learn how to use it, these cookers will maintain temperature for hours on end. You can also get a temperature controller (computer/fan) that will maintain your tempreatures for you.
https://www.amazon.com/Weber-2820-Smokey-Mountain-Cooker/dp/B00004U9VA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1495044873&sr=8-2&keywords=weber+smokey+mountain

Pit Barrel Cooker - This a great made in the USA product. It comes in a 18.5in size and makes use of its space by having you hang the meat on hooks to cook.
https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Barrel-Cooker-Co-Package/dp/B00BQMDZYY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1495044873&sr=8-4&keywords=weber+smokey+mountain

Then there are a couple home made solutions that are easy diy projects and don’t cost a lot.

Mini “WSM” - This utilizes a weber smokey joe grill, and a 32qt tamale pot. It will cost you about $60ish to make and takes an hour or two to make. It performs better than any of the sub $200 bullet smokers on the market. You can customize it also and can find differnt plans on how to make it.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/miniwsm.html

Ugly Drum Smoker - These are DIY but you can buy kits for them, and you just have to find a 55gallon drum. You can spend as little as $100 or as much as $400+ depending on different options you want. They run great and will hold temperature for 12+ hours no problem at all. You can find different plans for it by googling UDS. There is also some prefabbed parts you can use to make building it easier (just provide your own drum)

When I first got into the hobby I built myself a Mini WSM because I didn’t want to sink a lot of money into a hobby until I knew I loved it. I still have my Mini WSM and use it when I go to the beach, camping, or road trips to friends houses.

My main cooker is a UDS (ugly drum smoker) I built it with a 55gallon drum i sourced locally from craigslist and used nuts bolts, and some pipes to make. I have been in several bbq competitions with it and have placed 10th in brisket in a field of 46, and 6th in ribs. It puts out some great bbq and hold temperatures really well.

I have also owned or used the WSM and the Pit Barrel Cooker and they are both great cookers that I would recommend without any reservations.

(Ren) #8

Here is a picture of my UDS and WSM at a competition where I took 10th place in brisket.

The only fuss I have to do with the UDS is getting the charcoal and wood chunks loaded in the charcoal basket. It will hold temperature for more than 18 hours without any issue at all.

This is a picture of my WSM Mini I built. It is small and portable. I bring it to the beach, camping and road trips to friends houses.

Putting charcoal and wood chunks in it is easy. You can get anywhere between 6-8 hours of cook time on it before you have to add more charcoal to it.

Another option that you might have on hand is using a Weber Kettle Grill as a smoker. You can spend $100 and have a charcoal grill that can double as a smoker. I have done this with great success. If you learn different fire management techniques you can get a 8-10 hour cook time on it without having to reload any charcoal. The fuss is actually placing the coals initially into the “ring of fire method” to get them. You can also just do a traditional offset fire on it, but it is harder to control your temperature and you will have to add coals to it every so often.

(Ernest) #9

I have 4 smokers and 3 grills. If we are talking authentic BBQ then a stickburner is had to argue against. I have one and that’ my go to cooker. It is a lot of fun tending to a stick burner. @Aawa would probably testify to that.

For a beginner, the Weber Smokey Mountain smokers are probably the best on the market.

For lazy cooks, a pellet smoker is probably the best option. There’s no tending involved.

Electric smoker/ gas smoker… man, why?

@Michele_Wilson depends on how much you love outdoor cooking.
If you just want a smoker and don’t want the hustle, go with a Green Mountain pellet smoker
If you don’t mind a little tending to the fire pick up the Pit barrel cooker. Not that this is not really meant for low and slow BBQ, it’s more of a power cooker. Plus some people do not like the Smoke flavor from fat hitting the coals.
If you are just cooking for 4 people or less, pick up the Weber smokey Mountain 14.5. If you plan on cooking for a bunch of family and friends, pick up the WSM22.5

Electric Smoker…that’s and oxymoron. Waste of money.

(Ernest) #10

@Aawa That WSM 22.5 is a beast!! I call mine Big Worm.
My go to cooker is The Karubecue stick burner.
I call my PBC The Chicken Whisperer.

(John) #11

Once you get something like the WSM or Pit Barrel Cooker down it is about as easy as a pellet. I have 2 WSM and 2 PBC and a couple kettles. Unless there are crazy weather conditions I light them and don’t have to mess with them for 10-12 hours. My friend got a pellet grill and it was really cool, not as smokey but easy. Anyway the power went out in the night and he woke up to uncooked, wasted food. Too big a risk for me as I often cook for 50-200 people. WSM if you do more pork butts, PBC if you do more ribs or brisket, or both.

(matt ) #12

I have 2 cause my dad gave me his.

As far as electric being a waste of money or whatever i donr t see it that way. The wood gets heated up and smokes.

That being said i stopped debating with BBQ purists a long tiime ago as its a waste of time and energy.

(matt ) #13

I aleo like that i can use the electric smoker as a warmer or lower tenp oven when i need space in the kitchen

(Ren) #14

I wouldn’t debate with BBQ purist about electric/propane not being BBQ. Each type of cooker is a tool in the culinary tool box.

You can put out some good BBQ with an electric or propane smoker. It’s convience is great and makes it very hassle free.

(Ernest) #15

HAHAHA! Yeah those debates can raise your blood pressure. @matt

(Andrew Anderson) #16

Im lazy Keto, and lazy smoker. I enjoy my giant electric smoker for this phase of life, 1 year old running around. I love the more pure methods as well, nothing like putting in the love and care for hours! Either way we all win with giant slow cooked meat!

(Mike W.) #17

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

(Jeff Logullo) #18

Visit AmazingRibs.com – there’s a lot of the “Show me the science” approach there. It’s a treasure trove of great advice.

I loved my electric for low-hassle factor and good results. I now have a PBC and really like it. If you have a Weber grill already, then the Slow 'N Sear add-on is a good option too.

(John B) #19

I got an electric one for fathers day a few years back, and love it. Electric will keep a constant temperature, and I just have to make sure there are wood chips to burn!

(Ross Daniel) #20

I vote for an Orion Cooker/smoker. You can find them at Ace Hardware for $150 or less in the states. All stainless. Will last a LONG time.

I live in Memphis, TN. Pork BBQ Capital of the World. Trust me, when done right, the Orion makes some wicked awesome Que and with very little effort. You just light the fire and forget it. Almost like Ron Popeil invented it. Just remember, If you’re lookin… you ain’t cookin’!