Smokers - charcoal vs electric?

(Michele Wilson) #21

Yes! I grew up eating at Corkys!!

(Lori Calhoun) #22

Have you seen the video of the guy who used an old 4 draw filling cabinet as a smoker. Coals in the bottom drawer, and the bottom of the others are converted with a heavy mesh. Looks like it worked really well.

(Steve) #23

Amazingribs is my go to site as well. Love the explanations behind the science.

(Ken) #26

Your analysis looks awesome. As I know that the price can say something about the quality and use. Using electric smoker can help you save time while charcoal smoker can give nice taste, but wood can best flavor. It depends on your choice when you can choose smoker that fits your needs.

@logullo Thanks for the tip on the slow n sear. Iā€™d never heard of it but once I saw your post I did some research and ultimately ordered one last weekend. Yesterday I gave it a try on some brisket. That little device is brilliant, couldnā€™t believe how well it worked. Thanks again!

(Ernest) #28

I got of those SnS thingamajig. Been with ABC from the start.
I canā€™t use a kettle grill without it.

(Khara) #29

I HIGHLY recommend a Traeger. It is an electric smoker and grill that uses wood pellets. We cook almost all of our meat in it. The flavor of the meat whether we smoked it or grilled it is incredible. It makes meat taste the way it is meant to taste, cooked over fire. Our ancestors enjoyed this but with modern technology we moved to the more convenient option of indoor ovens and unfortunately lost much of the flavor. It was a real eye opening experience switching from the oven to the Traeger and enjoying the flavor that had been missing all my life. It is convenient and easy enough to use that I choose it over our oven most of the time. Itā€™s really handy too that it can both smoke and grill. It can actually even bake. Weā€™ve done bread and pie in it and regularly do veggies along with the meat. Last week we smoked some beef ribs for about 8 hours I think and they were incredible. Seasoned only with salt, pepper, and garlic. No sauce was wanted.

(đą«ÆĪ±ąø— Źą«ÆąŖ½Ę¬Ń³ąø—) #30

Charcoal - Kamado Joe

(Jeff Logullo) #31

@Rian Glad you like it! It really takes the Weber to the next levelā€¦ and itā€™s great to have a smoker you can really just walk away from and let it go for a few hours without worrying about it.

Big hat tip for your bravery in trying brisket as your first smoke! Looks good :slight_smile: