Smoked Brisket

(Seth Overdeer) #1

Prepping a brisket for tomorrow!

The rub I use is one I made. I know the Texas style is just salt and pepper, but i add a little to it. I don’t like to use anything too spicy or strong, don’t want to cover up the beef flavor. I make enough at a time to do several briskets, I also use this on steak.

I use kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Salt and pepper are a 1:1 ratio, the garlic and onion powder are 1/4 of however much salt you used. So if you used a 1/2 cup salt it would be:

1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup pepper
1/8 cup garlic powder
1/8 cup onion powder

I’ll post more pics tomorrow.

(Ernest) #2

I just seasoned mine as well. I go for point section only. Salt, pepper, chipotle powder, oak wood.
I stay away from the flat. Too lean, dries out easily.

(Seth Overdeer) #3

That’s all in the cooking method. Do you wrap yours in foil?

Also, do you make burnt ends? I do. Always.The drier parts are perfect for burnt ends.

(Seth Overdeer) #4

Note on the pic. The full volume ingredients are not what I use on the actual cut of meat. Those are only the ratios for the rub. I use that rub on the meat, but only as a seasoning. I’d guess it to be at least 2 tablespoons. You want to cover it but not completely coat it in spice.Too much and at will absolutely overtake the beef flavor

(Seth Overdeer) #5

A note on pepper:

If you are hesitant on using a lot of pepper:

Pepper does have heat. But, only when it’s fresh.

If you cook with pepper you lose the heat and only get he aroma and flavor of the peppercorns. That flavor and aroma does remind people of heat, so maybe go easy on it at first. Cooking with a lot of pepper will train your pallet to the flavor of pepper. The more and longer you cook with it, the less you will see it as a heat source and better you will be able to use it in your own recipes without fear. It is hottest when it is the most freshly ground.

(Patrick Sullivan (KetoBJJ)) #6

Looks great man. I need to do some ribs soon. Next time I do…I shall put them up for all to see as well.

(Seth Overdeer) #7

Up before the birds.

(Seth Overdeer) #8

Work in progress.

(Seth Overdeer) #9

(Doug) #10

DUDE. :grinning::sunglasses::heart_eyes:

(Sophie) #11

Smokey Goodness, I bet it was awesome!

(Seth Overdeer) #12

It was awesome!

Burnt ends

(Patrick Sullivan (KetoBJJ)) #13

This is just gorgeous!

(Ernest) #14

Burnt ends are great from point section.
I only foil when doing a whole packer.

(Ernest) #15

That’s a thing of beauty! Bravo!

(Ernest) #16

WSM 22. A beast of a smoker

(Seth Overdeer) #17

Yeah the Smokey Mountain cooker is a beast. I only fire it up if I’m smoking a lot of food.

I’ve never really seen point only briskets around here (NE Indiana). I see flats occasionally in stores but I’d never get one :D. I did the burnt ends with trimmings and some of the point. This one did turn out well. The flat didn’t dry out. I always foil wrap them, and only really do whole briskets.

I usually smoke meats in my homemade little smoker:

The WSM 22" performs great but it goes through a LOT of charcoal. My Little one uses barely any. I’ve done 2 9lb pork shoulders with only a chimney starter full of charcoal.

May as well show you guys some pics of my other grills.

My gas grill, Weber Summit S670:

My charcoal grill, Weber 22" Performer Deluxe:

(Doug) #18

Seth, you are truly set-up. :sunglasses: That brisket looks so good - could pick the whole thing up with one hand and munch on it, and be one with the universe.

Looks so good!

(Sophie) #20

I just wanna know when the party is and what’s your address! LOL :smile: