Six Month Keto Update

(Penelope) #1

Hi, I’m coming up on my 6-Month Keto Anniversary and I am so pleased with the results.

I started at 259#, taking metformin and insulin (50 units Lantus nightly, and 10 humalog with meals = 80 units daily (and sometimes more because my post-prandials would go so high that I would self-treat).

With the 80 units daily, my HbA1c was 8.0 at the end of August 2017 and my physician increased my insulin dosing and prescribed Victoza.

In short, I became I was really angry. Not angry at my physician. Angry at myself, my body. I was vegan :open_mouth: (had been for nearly 1.5 years in an attempt to lose weight/control glucose). I felt helpless, lost. I was giving up.

Instead of giving up, it occurred to me that if I were gluten intolerant, I would give up grains. If I were allergic to penicillin, I would not be prescribed that med. Well, I am intolerant to glucose, AND as I learned, I have serious insulin problems. So maybe… MAYBE I should give up carbs.

Crazy idea and to be honest, I was worried for the first three months that my heart would explode. So far so good. And in the meantime, in the past six months:

1. I have lost 38 pounds.

2. My HbA1c dropped from 8.0 on 80 units insulin/day to 6.9 (this past week) with metformin only.

3. 6.9 - 6.9 - 6.9!!!

4. I am down from a 20W-22W (US fat lady sizes) to a 16. Notice NOT 16W - that is important because “W” have larger waists. I am, for the first time in 20-25 years buying “Regular People Clothes”, as I have always referred to them. And lately, the 16’s are getting a little loose. My waist was thick long before I became obese or T2DM. That was my body, screaming for help!

To be transparent, this is what I do:

1. Zero to 20 total carbs/day.

2. Intermittent fasting. I fast 20-24 hours/day, most days. My eating window is 5p-9p, more or less (usually 6-7). I do use cream occasionally with my coffee or tea (so call my fasting what you will, it works). I do occasionally - very occasionally do a 48hr fast; frankly I get a little mean at the 24hr mark, but it resolves itself if I just go to sleep! haha

3. I don’t usually track what I eat. I ‘spot check’ occasionally. At first - first three months - I weighed and measured EVERYTHING, and also did a lot of boold glucose checks (on weekends hourly just to watch glucose responses to foods).

4. Exercise - maybe, maybe not. I live 2.5 miles from work and often walk or ride my bike to and from. Less so this winter due to a fear of slipping on ice and breaking some limb or another. This winter, I occasionally go to the gym at work and do one 30 minute routine - I get on a recumbent exercise bike and do HIIT of a casual variety, meaning I here and there increase the tension up and down (4 then 15 then 3 then 8, etc). Completely randomly; frankly, planning this is too much trouble. I have some 8 pound hand weights at home and if I need to burn energy I lift them, do squats, planks.

5. I weigh daily and record. I also chart on a graph. It helps me SEE the process.

Also, to be transparent:

1. I don’t have cravings for high carb foods. Completely DO NOT miss bread, rice, pasta, pizza crust. I DO NOT miss insulin - or the blood sugar rollercoaster, the aches and pains, the trigger thumb that was killing me either - so fair is fair.

2. I do still use artificial sweeteners but have been weaning myself off. Sometimes I want ‘dessert’, so I put splenda in coffee. But this is my next project - no sweeteners, because I know they can/do trigger an insulin response.

3. Recently, I did buy a box of Atkin bars just to see what would happen. I counted the total carbs but I did learn that they are a BIG no no for me.

One Atkins bar in my mouth and I started craving. A raging desire to eat them all. Not really a craving for ‘real’ carbs, but let’s be honest, how long would that take? THANK GOODNESS that the gastrointestinal side effects of one bar was extreme. It was very easy for me to "just say no’!

I think of the relationship between sugar and artificial sweeteners (of ALL varieties) similar to the relationship between heroin and suboxone. I’m in the medical field and I see this a lot. The risk of going from prescribed suboxone to buying ‘extra’ on the street and then back to heroin is a well worn path. Same with sweeteners, if you ask me. But don’t ask me. Read the science.

Also, I am currently at a stall with weight. For the past 30 days (since 1/19/18), I have been riding up and down the same two pounds So, on a daily basis, I have lost 36-38 pounds since 9/1/17! I can’t say it doesn’t bother me, but I do make an effort to talk myself down. Even with the stall, I have lost inches, especially in my abdomen and neck/face. My glucoses continue to trend down and I FEEL fabulous. But who doesn’t want the numbers to go down?!

In the end, I trust it will. I have not weight this little since 1995, maybe. Certainly since 2000 when I was diagnosed T2DM.

Sorry for the long post. I just feel that maybe it will help someone who might be out there a week or two in and giving up because nothing is happening. This takes time - for some of us it take longer. I wish I were one of those people who could lose 50 pounds in three months but I think their metabolism is just different than mine. Mine seriously sucks.

(Darlene Horsley) #2

You have an awesome story! Thank you much for sharing it and congratulations on your magnificent progress.

(Karen) #3

Not sure,but without looking could tell you are not a fella. Your struggle will take longer. I’m headed into a fast, into next week. I too am holding tight to a lower, but not desired setpoint. I also have a bit of a problem with salt. I feel it in the achiness of my joints. What I love about your story is,while slow, you are still staying the course. I’m going to do a cream cheese fat fast starting today. Join me!
Weigh in: 165.6
K

UPDATE: 43 hours, 163.6 lbs

Congratulations on your commitment to your life and the lifestyle of Keto. So nice to see people gaining benefits from their commitments.

Keep going!

Just love it. :grin:

You are doing great. Congratulations.

(Penelope) #6

I was thinking about trying one! Maybe I will!

Great post - a lot of things I can relate to! Thanks for putting it out on your 6 month anniversary. Such a great job you are doing!

(Troy) #8

" Even with the stall, I have lost inches, especially in my abdomen and neck/face “

This is EXACTLY why I do not use a scale anymore :grin:
loss of inches and appearance = joy​:+1:t2::tada:

Oh :neutral_face: sorry. Not about me lol

Great Story and testimony
:sunglasses: awesome!!
Thanks for sharing

(Penelope) #9

Thanks for your reply. It’s easy to minimize the non-scale victories, so it’s always nice to see that other people experience changes even when the scale stays the same!

(Jeanne Wagner) #10

Great post and congratulations on your progress! Really good. My loss is very slow too. I think I am still figuring out macros and eating to satiety, and I know my insulin is really high. T2D here too, diagnosed 12 yrs ago. I would love it if I even just lost 10 lbs/month. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Liz ) #11

Great story! So excited for all your victories!

I started last March, I lost about 2-6 pounds a month after becoming fat adapted then effectively stalled out at about 9 months while my body kept shrinking. I think part of it is how Richard explains that our fat cells become less deranged over months of eating keto and they are more efficient at holding onto fat than at the beginning. Oh geez, thanks, healthy fat cells! LOL. So at this point I fast 46-70 hours each week hoping to push my basal insulin levels down far enough that my fat can be released again.

(Penelope) #12

I should look into the fat cell idea. I think I recall listening to one of the podcasts on the topic. Or read it somewhere… It is strange to be shrinking, even when the scale doesn’t budge. In the past, I just gained weight and sometimes couldn’t figure out why! Are you fasting 46-70hr stretches! Over 24hrs is still tough for me. Up to 24hrs not really a problem, my new normal.

(Liz ) #13

I agree it’s wild to be smaller while the scale stalls out but it seems to be a common Keto story, especially for women. I think Richard explains more of the science theory in the Why We Stall thread.

I fast from Saturday night after dinner to Monday dinner weekly, about 46 hours. Then once or twice a month I fast Saturday dinner to Tuesday dinner, about 70 hours. I worked my way up to the longer fasts over many months. Salt really helps me push through any hunger pangs.

(KCKO, KCFO) #14

What a wonderful story. And a great weight loss in only 6 months.

I had started keto with the Atkins20 foodie plan, it only called for a bar and a shake on a couple of days. I had ordered them, but when I tried to use them, I guess my body didn’t like the sugar alcohols in them. I also started to get hungry on the day I tried the shake. So I quickly realized I was better off subbing raspberries or my own home made shakes using whey protein powder with some cacoa powder.

All the best to you on your Journey. Keep us updated.

(Stephanie Sablich) #15

You are AWESOME! Thanks for sharing your journey. These sorts of posts really help me to persevere when things get difficult.

(Penelope) #16

I’ll try adding more salt to my broth and such! Thanks for the tip.

Congrats on your anniversary

(Polly ) #18

Great job on your journey. I am so happy to hear about your success. It made me think about how long I have been going keto and I have been doing it 6 months as well. I also have lost about 35 lbs and am happy that my face and neck are normal-sized now. I don’t feel that the weight loss has gone too slowly as it averages out to about 5 lbs a month which is amazing for me.
I am also doing the intermittent fasting or 24 hour fasts for the weekdays and then more of a 3 keto meals a day thing on weekends. I am thinking about doing a longer fast during the week which I have done before and it was really no struggle, just a social inconvenience.
I drink a salty ice water concoction during the day and that seems to help stave off hunger and cravings and helps to keep my mouth from becoming too dry.

(Carol Orrell) #19

If you were shrinking, and scale stalled, then you were getting toned and toned muscles weigh more than fat.

(Penelope) #20

Congratulations on your success as well, Pollywog!