Site Activity

(Running from stupidity) #41

What’s happening there? I use Whatsapp all the time, but don’t have a FB account. (Well, I’ve got one, but it’s under a made up name, and isn’t linked to anything except my IG in order to make it a business account so I can schedule posts.)

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #42

There is talk of making FB, Instagram and WhatsApp integrated so that you can send messages across platforms.

As Douglas Adams says, “representing technology’s greatest triumph to date over both itself and plain common sense.”

Yeah, I thought about you when I read that.

#ohno!

(Ellen) #44

Hmm I don’t like the sound of that.

My hope is the idea will all crash and burn, and they’ll just backtrack, but we’ll see. :slightly_frowning_face:

(John) #46

I am blissfully free of social media involvement, unless forums like this one count. I have never had a Facebook or Instagram account, and while I do have a Twitter account I don’t think I have logged into it for over 5 years.

I don’t even routinely check e-mails unless there is some specific reason to. I get enough of that at work. In fact, if it weren’t for work requiring (and providing) a smart phone, I’d only have the cheapest and smallest voice-only flip-phone I could find.

(Bob M) #47

I do like a smartphone. It helps finding locations to eat when you’re unfamiliar with the area, I have all my music on it, I listen to audiobooks and podcasts all time in my car, etc. Heck, my programmable remote I just bought requires an app to program certain functions. My wife and I have our Alexa accounts configured, so I can get items from the shopping list (or she can), and then delete them from the shopping list. None of those are social media.

(John) #48

Ah, there is that. I must have my music. Though in that sense it replaces previous devices - iPods and MP3 players.

And when I was travelling not long ago in a rental car without a GPS system, I was able to say “OK Google - How do I get to [the hotel I was staying at]” and a pleasant voice guided me the whole way, turn by turn.

And it’s much better than lugging around an old 35mm SLR camera with film and a flash if I want to take a photo of something.

So OK, you got me on the multifunction portable electonic gizmo that has a phone built into it. I guess I’ll take that one grudging step into the 21st century.

(Running from stupidity) #49

Mirrorless is even better :slight_smile:

(Ellen) #50

@Digital_Dave @Gaff @PaulL @dlc96_darren @OldDoug and anyone else that knows their techie stuff, why is Discourse trying to download files to my p.c. today? Think I’ve blocked 4 or 5 tries.

I just got in at work, and I got a similar message myself. Said something about it trying to download multiple files? … Heading to a meeting, but we will look into it. Thanks.

(Ellen) #52

Yep that’s it. Thanks guys.

(Doug) #53

Yeah - Ellen, I saw that too. I had .swf files, which are for ‘Shockwave’ and it looked like 2 copies of the same thing. They’re for media - sounds, pictures, little games… I don’t know what the heck it has to do with Discourse.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #54

Haven’t seen it myself, but then I have an ad blocker running. Is this something that happens at login, or when the computer is first turned on, or just at some random time?

(Ellen) #55

Just randomly I think, I tend to always be logged in on p.c., came back to the forum just now and had it again.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #56

All right, I’ve turned off my ad blocker. We shall see.

(Ellen) #57

Just logged on via phone and also happening.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #58

I’d log out and then back in, but the last time I did that, I couldn’t remember my password.

(Doug) #59

Zc5BM63WBo8.swf is what the file is named that I get. I think it’s a little link/advertisment for a Youtube video - “Keto Diet: Best Low-Carb & Paleo Tortillas”

The URL for that video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc5BM63WBo8, the same string of letters and numbers being present as in the file name. Weird…

(Ellen) #60

Ah, so we can blame @Hardrock_keto_chick! Will try logging out then back in.