Site Activity

(Cindy) #21

I’m not sure when I’ll stop considering myself new to keto. I know I won’t consider myself a success at it until I’ve lost the weight I want to lose. Too many years of struggling to lose weight, so there’s still some skepticism with keto. So the “I’m not losing!” threads are a bit of a worry because I wonder if that’ll be me…and the “I’ve lost a gazillion pounds” threads are a worry because…that’s not me.

(Running from stupidity) #22

You’re making things up AGAIN.

We all know it’s 16.

(Bob M) #23

What about:

“I’ve only lost X pounds (or kg, stones, whatever) in Y months, what’s wrong?”, where X is much greater than you’ve lost and Y is much less time than it took you.

“What happened to my cholesterol? Will I die?”

(Running from stupidity) #24

Also, using “stones.” That’s even more backward than using pounds!

(John) #25

As long as we’re griping - what is the point of having sub-categories if everyone just creates new threads in “Keto Chat” and never uses the categories? I occasionally move them to the more obvious locations, but it’s a losing battle because there are just so many new threads.

(Running from stupidity) #26

Yeah, I keep moving them as well.

The sub categories are a decent idea, but the real problem is that people don’t want to read, they want to type. Their time is too precious to waste on reading OTHER people’s stuff, looking at how the place is organised, and so on. Why do that when you do things more slowly by typing a whole thing up and just lobbing onto the forum somewhere?

(less is more, more or less) #27

Ah, the joys of user training. Even when people are “on the hook” to reasonably participate with workplace digital workflows, it’s herding drunk cats. When it’s “anyone?” All bets are off.

I am new here but not new to keto. I am back on the forums after a few years off. In that time I’ve done keto more off than on and my ass shows it. I used to frequent the MFP low carb groups before keto was cool. Back then (a whole five years ago) you couldn’t even mention the diet. I would have to tell people “I eat based on my macros” just to confuse them into not asking more questions. This year as I climbed back on the keto train I decided to check out Reddit. I was enjoying the shit out of the before and after pictures but couldn’t wrap my head around their perception of calories. Someone posted a picture of their calorie and carb intake and every day was below 1200 calories with the exception of one. The first comment was “what happened that one day that you went so far off the rails?” That’s when I knew that’s definitely not the place for me. I found this, saw Kirkor had posted and I’m all “oh yay a familiar avatar, I’m in!” Now don’t misunderstand, I do need to watch my calorie intake. I just can’t do the less than 1200 calories every day life. Sometimes I eat twice that. Sometimes I eat half that. Oh god don’t even get me started on the Reddit speeches about focusing only on protein and carbs and avoiding fat always.

(Doug) #29

:smile: on that - for so many of us that is just not going to work…

Welcome, Meg.

(Doug) #30

Busy day - 23 threads posted on in the last hour.

I am back after a 3 month hiatus.
I work 6 days a week and was working 3 jobs at one point (I now have 2 jobs and still work 6 days). :slight_smile:
My husband is mostly my sounding board and well, of course, we live together. So mostly we chit chat amongst ourselves and update each other on where we are at. I checked in in Feb for the recipes actually (also the reason I joined) and just to see what the general thoughts were. My activity will probably be off and on throughout the year too-just putting it out there in case it confuses anyone. lol

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #32

Not to mention the comments section of every YouTube video! :man_facepalming:

A friend of mine finallly persuaded his narcissistic sister to attend a Twelve-Step meeting of some kind (I don’t remember anymore). To his surprise, she enjoyed the meeting quite a bit, “until they all wanted to start talking about themselves. . . .” :man_facepalming:

(Doug) #33

Indeed. Not to mention things like reddit. Here’s how I see things, admittedly a subjective and light-years-from-comprehensive view.

0 to 10, 0 being the nicest, 10 being the meanest.

This site = 1.
Facebook 1.5 - 2.
Reddit 1.5 - 3.
Youtube 2 - 5.
Most gaming forums 4 - 8.
Bodybuilding dot com 7.
4chan 9.

(Mark Rhodes) #34

I don’t see you in the FB 2KD GOLD…or are you not the right type of Patreon? I see some of the familiars hanging out more on FB recently. Plus that Twitter really is real time science.

(Doug) #35

Mark, I had not heard of that. I didn’t find Richard/Carl until after this forum was going; never was part of their Facebook group - that’s probably the reason.

Twitter - never used it.

(Mark Rhodes) #36

the 2 keto dudes gold page on FB is for Patreon is for $20 and above. There are 48 in the page currently. They only recently restarted it. FB itself remains nasty although I spend far too much time there.

I didn’t Twitter much til Tim Noakes kept saying it was the best place to have good conversations with scientists. It is. There does not seem to exist in Twitterverse a bias against your pedigree or lack of one.

(Bob M) #37

I learned a phenomenal amount on Twitter. However, if you follow Tim Noakes, Ivor Cummins, Ted Naiman (for instance), you’re looking at 24/7/365. I can’t keep up with this site, and I definitely can’t keep up with Twitter. There would be scientific fights on Twitter that would rage on for days. I remember one about statins and PCSK9 inhibitors that just kept going and going… I stopped Twitter over a year ago. If I go back, I’m going to be very selective in who I follow.

I don’t have a FaceBook account. There, I’ve said it. Don’t hold it against me. :wink:

(Scott) #38

I haven’t opened FB for 8 months now.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #39

Mark Zuckerberg is rich enough. He doesn’t need to own me, along with everything else. :frowning_face:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #40

My biggest problem with that is integrating WhatsApp with facebook. Which defeats the entire purpose of WhatsApp. “Let’s link this super secure system with the leakiest system in the world. What could go wrong?”