Shoulder tendonitis and keto or carnivore diet

Thank you. My diagnosis revealed “no arthritis” in the shoulder only calcific tendonitis. Although I’m sure repetitive shoulder exercises also contribute to this condition as I have a partial tear of the supraspinitous on the left (good) shoulder as well.Hopefully eliminating foods high in oxalates will improve that as I’m on a ketogenic diet for the past few days and plan to continue.
I wonder if cheese is allowed on this plan and which cheeses are allowed. I dont particularly care for goat cheese but I do wish to know which cheese is allowed and which to avoid.

It’s possible all these years of eating salads, thinking it would eliminate any chance of colon cancer was the wrong thing to do. But not all greens are high in oxalates

Possibly lifestyle factors also contributed to the Eskimos limited lifespan not just their diet.

(B Creighton) #144

Raw chocolate and almonds have about half the oxalates of raw spinach. Cashews about a quarter. Potatoes, both white and sweet potato, are common sources of oxylates. Lentils about a fifth. Peanuts about a tenth. I eat all of these, but with some moderation. Soy has a fair amount of oxalates, but I avoid soy altogether. My little brother went crazy on almonds for awhile, and was doing almond milk, with a nut mix high in almonds almost every day… yeah… he got kidney stones. Instead of almond milk, I now drink coconut milk which has no oxylates and has some MCTs. I do eat some raw almonds in a nut mix I make, but I definitely do not eat it every day… more like once or twice a week.

Are you quite sure Sweet potato or yam is high in oxalates? In all the research I never saw sweet potato as high in oxalates.I eat sweet potato almost every day. Thank you

(B Creighton) #146

Yep. Sweet potatoes are about the same as white potato although there is some difference based upon the varieties. I make a lentil, sweet potato soup, and boil it for about 45 min to an hour. This gets rid of probably half to 80% of the oxylates in each because I chop up the sweet potato. Baking it doesn’t help near as much, if at all. Some fruits also have smaller amounts of oxylates with raspberries leading the pack.

I have been slicing sweet potatoes into 1-2 inch slices and steaming them till theyr’e soft only about 15 minutes. I guess that makes them high in oxalates? They need to be cooked really well

(B Creighton) #148

Sweet potato is anywhere from about a fifth to a tenth the oxalate level of spinach. Purple sweet potato, however, is about triple that, so I would personally avoid them. Just one sweet potato could put you well over the levels advised in a low oxalate diet defined as 40-60 mg oxalate per day. So, I would def boil them.

(Edith) #149

Boiling them will leach out some of the oxalate, but then you have to discard the water, because otherwise you are just getting the same amount of oxalate if you use the water.

(Edith) #150

Spinach is crazy high, so just because chocolate and almonds are half the amount of oxalate in spinach doesn’t necessarily make them low oxalate.

(B Creighton) #151

When oxalates encounter damaged tissue in the body, they can bind with calcium to crystallize, resulting in serious irritation and pain… This might be what has happened to you Trucha

Drs have no explanation as to why or how this happens. I’m quite sure years in the gym doing repetitive exercises contributed to this condition.

What nuts are low in oxalates? Are pistachios? Thank you

(B Creighton) #154

This might be true for oxalates, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15826055/, but this is the anion form of oxalic acid. Boiling water will cause the oxalic acid to decompose into carbon dioxide and water vapor, if it is boiled before combining with calcium or some other mineral. A healthy gut biome will also usually metabolize most oxalic acid or oxalates before they get absoirbed. However, a leaky gut presents a problem here, and a way for oxalates to enter the body. I believe all the GMO vegetable oils can contribute to the problem here. There appears to be some confusion in the literature regarding oxalic acid vs oxalates, so maybe there is some study out there which can prove me wrong, but it does appear that boiling is not going to get rid of all the oxalates you may end up absorbing.

(B Creighton) #155

Pistachios and pecans are among the lowest. I eat both. I make a nut mix with pecans, almonds, sunflower seeds, raw coconut, dates, and pumpkin seeds. Sometimes I add a small amount of cashews, but they do not provide much nutritional value for their oxalic acid content, and are a bit pricey. I generally eat about a half cup of this mix at a time.

Dates and almonds are kind of high on the oxalates arent they?

(B Creighton) #157

Almonds are high. In the fruit world, dates are on the high side, yes. I just limit my intake, and try to maintain a healthy gut biome. To date I haven’t had a problem. I don’t eat this mix daily. It is a relatively small amount I eat to boost my energy while working or for a small lunch while doing keto. If you eat plants, you just aren’t going to eliminate all oxalic acid. I generally only eat two meals a day, and this nut mix is really just an occassional, quick holdover at lunch time. Doing keto I ate various other things including a low sugar chocolate bar, or a keto/paleo bar, or a grass fed beef hot dog, a prosciutto appetizer, etc.

Switch almonds for walnuts perhaps?

(B Creighton) #159

I don’t do well on raw walnuts. I only eat them in baked items. My usual serving is not going to contain more than 10-15 almonds anyway.

I only have them every other day, with soured cream, keto.

I don’t know, I’m not a nutritionist or even a scientist (no more), but a handful of walnuts every now and again seems beneficial.

I feel hypocritical even saying this, as one about to embark on a carni journey. Soz. :man_shrugging:

Did you follow keto for healing purposes or are you on it permanently?

(B Creighton) #162

I started noticing more drastic health changes after I turned 50 - my eyesight began to go - my T started to drop I suppose, and I began to gain weight more easily. When I reached about 218 lbs, I had to have two hernia surgeries. After that I went on what I call the anti-potato chip diet, and lost about 18 lbs in one year. Then I had to have a tumor removed in 2020, and after that I had to go on a powerful antibiotic due to an infection under the scar site. I started having some prostate issues, and my blood pressure went up into the high 140s over 90s. So I decided I wasn’t indestructible, and needed to pay more attention to my health.

I got my own blood panel, and the Dr advised I take 10,000 IUs of vitamin D, DHEA, and some other things. However, my blood pressure did not drop, so I started researching on my own and discovered vitamin K2, and studies showing positive impact on atherosclerosis and blood pressure. Theorizing that the antibiotics had perhaps killed off my Bacteriodes spp which make long chain K2, I started taking some Bacillus subtilis known to be able to colonize the human gut - apparently not all strains do - and started taking around 150 mcg of K2 daily. After about a year my blood pressure had dropped to the 120s over 70s range, but I was still 195 lbs, and looked “skinny fat.”

I decided to try to lose my visceral fat and gain some muscle, and found keto is probably the best way to do that. After doing keto my last BP reading was 122 over 68, but my systolic has dropped into the one teens, so I guess keto may have healed my arteries some more. I felt very good while doing keto, and won’t hesitate to do it again, but honestly seem to be stable at about 175 lbs as long as I eat my goat yogurt every day - even if I gain a pound or two after eating too many sweets - like on my son’s b-day.

I have always been somewhat health conscious but have learned a lot more in the last 2 years, and how bad the SAD, and the food industry which created it, is for our health. I became suspiscious of seed oils about 10 years ago after learning Ancel Keys had ignored countries that didn’t fit his theory, and that there are several groups around the world such as the Tokelau Polynesians and Eskimos that eat a very high saturated fat diet with no heart disease until the SAD infiltrated their diets. Now the Tokelau drink lots of soda, and have some of the worst diabetes and obesity in the Pacific. There was just too much epidemiological evidence to ignore, and coconut oil became available in the healh food stores, so I began to buy it instead of corn oil and such. It didn’t help that Monsanto made all seed oils GMO so they could be sprayed with glyphosate. Has anyone noticed that autism rates began to shoot up the year GMO soy got introduced? Food science has been notoriously bad with mere correlations becoming proofs on the news and little digging for actual causation until more recently.

Right now I do plan to be on goat yogurt for my breakfast permanently, and coconut milk protein powder smoothies as a supplement in winter when I work out. If I gain fat, I may do some official keto some more, but last year I seemed to be able to gain more muscle if I had a little more than 50 gr of carbs a day. I don’t plan to do the bulking, and cutting thing that professional weight lifters do though. I just want to gain about 13 more pounds of muscle this next winter, so that I look more decent. Frank Zane would cut to 50 carbs before shows, so seemed to do keto far before it became a thing, but I’m sure he modeled it after others. Anyway, I just decided that keto with some cruciferous veggies was the healthiest way to lose visceral fat, that would allow me to maintain the health of my gut biome, and not cause my basal metabolic rate to fall. I have always had real issues if my gut biome gets badly disrupted with powerful antibiotics, and whole food keto held promise for me to meet all my goals. I have always believed in eating my veggies, and love them. No offense to the carnis, but we were just not designed as carnivores or we would have a different mouth and a different digestive system. I love a great variety of food too, and carni is not it for me - and I feel it could be detrimental to my gut biome which needs fiber to thrive. If gut bacteria are starved, they will eat your gut lining to try to survive, so I keep mine well fed with fiber. I just won’t risk damaging it unless I absolutely have to for short term health reasons.

I do absolutely believe in the health benefits of keto - just not the carni variety. But I understand that possibly some people can do better on it. I feel there are many aspects of the SAD that are damaging to gut health, and by eliminating those, most people will recover the ability to do well on some plant foods. Personally, I try to improve my gut health. I have learned I can decrease some of the bad guys by using bacteriophages, and that will allow new areas of my gut to be colonized by good guys. There are good guys who make vitamin K2 for us, vitamin B12, butyrate, etc etc. There are trillions and trillions of them in a healthy gut - far more than we have cells in our bodies. We have a great symbiotic relationship, and I plan to keep it that way.