Shoulder tendonitis and keto or carnivore diet

Anybody here suffering from shoulder tendonitis? In my case specifically diagnosed as calcific tendonitis for about a year. Did you get relief from following a keto or carnivore diet? Thank you

Both are going to help because of reduced systemic inflammation. What are you doing for it now, and are you currently still eating a “normal” diet?

(Robin) #3

Calcification and inflammation in my knee joints has reduced significantly. So has general arthritis. Improved continuously during keto and then carnivore.

Good luck. Stick with it.

I just started the carnivore diet I’ve included fat for cooking and some salad and steamed greens. Kind of what I ate as a young person when of course I felt great. I’m almost 70 and can no longer workout due to the shoulder pain. I want to avoid surgery, pain relievers, cortisone shots etc. I’m hoping I can heal myself with this diet and go back to working out. Concerned about the stigma drs lay on us with a high fat diet but I’m willing to give it a try and see how I feel. Hoped to find someone who has experienced similar symptoms, had a healing experience and how long it took them to begin to feel better. Thanks for your replies.

How long did it take on the diet to begin to see results? My first day on the diet I’m feeling significant pain lifting my arm but I persevere. Over the past few months every once in awhile I would take just two Aleve and have no pain for up to 10 days. But I dont want to take pain relievers at all. I do rub lidocaine and other pain relievers on my shoulder and clavicle twice daily with some relief.

(Robin) #6

Sorry, I wish I could remember. I don’t think anything happened suddenly or quickly. It was a gradual process.

I know we all hope for fast results in the beginning. Some get them. I would guess most of us don’t. But it’s all about what direction you are trending. A small change can drastically impact your direction, only realizing it when you look back at where you’ve been… if that makes any sense.

Check out Athlean-X videos on youtube for working out with shoulder pain, the peptides BPC-157 and TB-500 are near miraculous with healing things that don’t want to heal. I’ve got two crappy AC Joints, 1 miserable rotator cuff, a touchy hip labrum, and an L5/S1 disc herniation that likes to say hello every once in a while.

I’m in the gym lifting heavy every day. You can still do what you want to do, but most likely not under the care of a mainstream doc.

If you’re in the US, check out either one of these places, I’ve used both of them. You want optimization, not to just be kept alive-ish. That’s all the sick care system is good for.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #8

And learn how everything you thought you were you were doing right, is actually wrong :joy:

Love Jeff though. Been a subscriber for a few years. He’s so knowledgeable. Some stuff is just too hard for me to do so I dumb it down for my physical level. I owe my slight boob lift to his tips on chest angles.

Anybody familiar with EPAT for shoulder tendonitis? I wont mention the PT group that offers this treatment in New Jersey. As for the diet I have to give it at least 30 days for any improvement to see if I want to continue

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

You may want to give this way of eating more than thirty days. I started a ketogenic diet in February or March, and it wasn’t till October that I could go up and down stairs without complaints from my knee joints.

You may be right but everyone’s different. This is my first full day on the diet and I’m actually having more pain than before I started. Sometimes things have to get worse before they get better. It’s just scary because we’ve been told for years by drs that saturated fat and too much meat is bad for us especially for us older folks in terms of athersclerosis, heart attacks and strokes.

Any suggestions for breakfast? I just don’t want to eat bacon and eggs every morning.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

I’m sorry to hear that.

So what I said about giving the way of eating an extended trial makes even more sense, no? It will take time for your systemic inflammation to resolve itself. Returning to eating a high-carb diet will only raise your serum glucose and serum insulin again, and they are a large part of the problem.

The other cause of systemic inflammation is polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are inflammatory when consumed in quantity, and which are an extremely high percentage of the fats in the industrial seed oils (canola, soybean, cottonseed, corn, cornflower, sunflower, and so forth). As one researcher has remarked, the challenge, when eating the standard American diet, is not getting enough ω-6 fatty acids, it is avoiding getting too much.

No one is restricting you to bacon and eggs for breakfast, by the way. You can have the leftover meat from the night before, or perhaps sausages, or hot dogs, or a cheeseburger. I found that, after about a year on keto, I naturally stopped wanting to eat before noon, so most days I eat only two meals. Occasionally, I will not want to eat till the evening meal, and sometimes I do get hungry before noon, in which case I end up with three meals that day. Once insulin stopped interfering with my appetite hormones, I found my hunger signals to be a reliable guide to when and how much to eat.

I should probably add that quite a few people who eliminate plants from their diet find that their bodies start to dump oxalates, which are common in a lot of vegetables. Of course tendinitis is an inflammation of the tendon, but the dumping of oxalate crystals could be aggravating the pain. If you are experiencing oxalate dumping, or should happen to experience it in the future, by all accounts it is best to soldier on till all the crystals have been expunged. It would actually be quite unusual for your body to have started oxalate dumping this early in the process, however, so this is more in the nature of advance warning.

You are so right about the hunger. As a younger person I can remember NOT getting so hungry after every few hours. The way I am now I have to make sure I have something to eat with me because I get so damn hungry all of a sudden and feel miserable and grumpy if I don’t stuff my face when that happens. and I simply hate that I feel so “dependent” on food. I’m hoping that after awhile on this diet I can miss a meal or two and not feel so physically ill.

One question though:
I enjoy a fresh salad lunchtime and some steamed green vegetables at supper with my meats and fats… Do you think I can continue eating salads and vegetables and still get the benefits of the diet? I know it’s not strictly carnivore.

I’ve been eating fresh salads and steamed green vegetables my whole life and I hope and pray that’s NOT what gave me this calcific tendonitis. What do you think? Can I continue or not? Thank you

I believe repetitive shoulder exercises in the gym when I was younger contributed to this shoulder pain

You say it’s ok to have hot dogs and it’s so funny I recall this one guy bragging on the radio about how he hasn’t had a hot dog in over 20 years. So when I saw him I expected to see a healthy fit person. But then I saw him in person and he was very heavy and had a gut hanging out all over.

(Bob M) #14

Coffee and tea. Many folks move to no breakfast over time. Doesn’t mean you need to do that, but it’s an option.

The best thing for my shoulders has been daily collagen peptides.

I’ve been eating fresh salads and steamed green vegetables my whole life and I hope and pray that’s NOT what gave me this calcific tendonitis. What do you think? Can I continue with salads and steamed vegetables? Thank you

Ive cut out starchy vegetables, potatoes, peas,etc

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

What you are eating sounds more like a low-carb, high-fat ketogenic diet than pure carnivore. And there’s no reason you shouldn’t eat that way, if it works for you.

Many people are carnivores because they experience health problems from eating plant foods, even in the small quantities they ate on keto. If you are one of those people, you might feel healthiest when eliminating plant foods altogether. You will know only by making the experiment. People who go full carnivore tend to find that their attitude towards food changes, and they don’t miss vegetables nearly as much as they thought they would, so there is that.

(Robin) #17

@ctviggen I also take Coates peptides and have seen so many good results in various areas.

Hopefully in a few weeks I’ll notice an improvement in the way I feel including salads and vegetables with high fat and high protein low or no carbs which will compel me to continue. If I reach a plateau with no further improvement I may just want to go full head on carnivore, that I don’t know. I just remember my mom instilling in me the need for green leafy vegetables both raw and steamed and I’ve been doing that ever since

(Robin) #19

I regretfully gave up veggies when it became obvious they were the root cause of all my various issues. I love veggies. LOVE.
But I never even think about them anymore because I feel so good and have no physical issues anymore.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

While the need for vegetables has been instilled in us, it is more from commercial forces than from any real scientific data. In fact, the data show that it is not necessary to eat any carbohydrate at all. Not only have there been many traditional societies that ate mostly or exclusively meat, but quite a few prominent Westerners have done quite well for decades on an all-meat diet.

The noted physician Dr. Michael Eades has, in fact, a number of lectures available on YouTube, showing what happens to societies when they make the transition from hunting and gathering to agriculture. The decline in health is remarkable.